cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange sound - reset/high pitched squeak

PSanders
Neighbour

I have Telus internet, Optik TV and home phone.

When I am watching TV, there is an intermittent strange sound occurring among the boxes.  It seems to occur when the PVR is recording, and sounds like a system reset accompanied by a high pitched squeak.  This is really annoying. 

Please can anyone tell me what this is and how to fix it.

This has been going on for a few years now, and I finally decided to do something about it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes, if the PVR is making strange noises then it's a sign that there will be a hardware failure sometime in the future. Contact TELUS for a replacement.

Note that you will loose all your recordings because it's not possible to transfer them to the new PVR. Watch all your recorded shows now.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

xray
Hero
Are you saying all the Optik boxes make this noise it just the PVR? If it's just the PVR then it might be the hard drive failing.

I don't know which of the boxes it is.

What is the model number of the box that makes the noise? There should be a label on the front.

I tracked down the sound to the Telus Cisco Router. I think the model number is IPV6015.

Curiously, the sound seems to happen around 5:00 p.m..

That's not a router, that's your PVR. It has a hard drive to save your recordings which is likely what's making ht noise since that's the only moving part in the box.

The regular occurance at 5:00 PM is rather puzzling. Do you have any series recoding scheduled on the PVR? Perhaps it correlates to when it need to record a show. I believe the hard drive may go to sleep to save energy when you are not watching or recording.

Actually it is anywhere from around 4 to 8 p.m.  ....very strange.

The only thing I can think of is that it seems to happen when I am watching Netflix and the recorder is recording a TV program.

Do you think I should ask Telus to change out the PVR?

Yes, if the PVR is making strange noises then it's a sign that there will be a hardware failure sometime in the future. Contact TELUS for a replacement.

Note that you will loose all your recordings because it's not possible to transfer them to the new PVR. Watch all your recorded shows now.