cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PVR recordings not accessible on mobile devices

Kerswell_lad
Neighbour

I notice from my own personal experience and from previous posts that PVR recordings are not accessible on mobile devices unless it is VOD recorded programs.  Why would a company like Telus not offer something that, in my opinion, is a fairly basic a requirement and would extend the usefulness by adding full mobile accessibility.  Telus needs to take a page out of the BBC IPlayer book..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus has to answer to the channel owners. There are strict rules to follow and how they wish to have their content viewed. 

While you may think a feature is relatively easily to implement this is often is not the case. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus has to answer to the channel owners. There are strict rules to follow and how they wish to have their content viewed. 

While you may think a feature is relatively easily to implement this is often is not the case. 

I would also love this feature, but have assumed it would be extremely difficult to implement or even impossible.

In the AppleTV App, I like that we are able to set recordings, even if it's a channel that isn't available in the App.  I just discovered that some recent recordings are possible to watch, but as the previous person said, if they are available "on demand'.  I can't imagine that Telus could be able to stream all the content I have on my PVR.  If they could, it would be a killer feature!

Shaw does offer this, so it can't be a question of content providers as indicated by Westcoaster.

I switched from Shaw last fall and was devastated to learn that I couldn’t watch my recorded shows in the kitchen on my device. I’d just fast forward thru the commercials. It was such a useful feature. Not I have to watch on Demond where if I switch devices half way thru I have to start all over again…

I think Telus needs to take charge of this anomaly and resolve it.  It is far from acceptable.  If they don't resolve it an alternative service provider will find a way to do this and pull the rug from underneath them.  

Shaw does it on their BlueCurve platform, but I highly doubt that functionality alone is enough to get most people to leave Telus. I wouldn't say that Shaw is "pulling the rug from under" Telus because they support that particular function. A lot of what people PVR is also available On Demand, and Telus does have access to that on mobile. And there are other things that Telus offers that Shaw does not. Plus Shaw tends to charge more.

It was not my intention to infer switching to an alternate provider, merely that this non-functioning part of the Optik experience is severely lacking.  Not everyone wants to increase their expenditure by using on-demand streaming.  What I am hearing from this topic here is far too many people offering their perspective on why this can't be implemented.  In my working career I have found that a positive 'can do' attitude is far more constructive and productive. I just wish someone from the Telus Optik organization would stand up and show me a roadmap on how they plan on getting mobile recording playback access implemented to make this 'Optik on the go' fully functional.  Until then I consider this a broken system.

xray
Hero

This feature is far from easy to implement.

It requires a fundamental change in how recordings are stored. Your recorded programs currently reside on your PVR. In order to play your recordings to your mobile device somewhere on the Internet your PVR will need to stream that content over the Internet through your home Internet connection. Unless you are on fiber most connections will not have enough upload (not download) speed to do this. All this while still managing the traffic from all your other devices at home trying to get to the Internet through the same connection.

For this to work for everyone the recordings need to be on a Telus server not your PVR. The is a big change to how recordings are managed now.