cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik wireless connection

BigBadger
Friendly Neighbour

I want to upgrade my home network hardware to a newer, cleaner personal system. Do I require the Telus Modem and , or Router? I have 2 wireless Optik boxes that have terrible connection issues due to the location of the router and the build of the house with it's central heating ducting. So was thinking of both replacing the Telus router and relocating it along with the home entry point of the Fibre optic connection. the 2 Optik boxes would still remain wireless due again to the build of the house.

Will my new access point be able to manage the Optik TV, as I was told it HAD TO BE the Telus Router/AP

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You will need to keep your Telus router to have Optik work properly, as most other routers do not offer the multicast technology needed for the TV signal. Moving equipment, or adding ethernet cables to other locations in your house is the better choice. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

BigBadger
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you. Do you know whether the 'wireless' boxes are supposed to function as wired if they receive ethernet cabling? I was unsuccessful in attempting that function. Maybe I missed a setting, but expected the box should automatically switch to wired mode once connected.

BB

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I have had no problem with using them as a wired connection using ethernet.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

vancouver-user
Neighbour

Does the multicast requirement apply to the new TELUS TV Digital Box / cloud PVR, given you can also use Apple TV or other Android boxes for new Optik?

No multicast doesn’t apply to the new Cloud pvr.

Prynce
Just Moved In
They installed direct Ethernet lines to the boxes for my one box when the wireless signal was weak. All my equipment so far work fine.