Optik box over heating on standby?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

MB2000
Resident

We just switched over to Telus a few days prior to leaving for a trip. Last night the Optik fan starting running even though the unit was on standby and we had been out of town (therefore it had not been used).

When I went to check it out the box was pretty warm on the plastic, had warmed the wood on the TV stand considerably and the metal around the inputs was almost too hot to touch. Needless to say, having been away while this was likely happening for over a week, I was a little concerned.

Is this normal? It seems odd that a unit on standby would get so hot. 

John8
Connector

I had the same issue. According to Telus this is not normal. You should call them.

MB2000
Resident

Thank you for the response. I will contact them.

TonyS
Resident

Both my boxes are running around 36-38 degC when in standby. In operation, it goes over 42 deg. The thermal image looks hot! Both boxes are in rooms with ambient air temp below 20 deg. They are not in display cases, they have good air flow. 
I'm waiting on a reply from Telus to see if this is normal.

Community Power User
Community Power User
It’s normal operating temperature, of an enclosed electronic device. Even though in “standby” it’s really not as it does guide updates etc.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Community Power User
Community Power User

I don't think the set top boxes even have a fan in them and are passively cooled. Mine's always been warmer than ambient temperature. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
vishwa
Ambassador

The technicolor boxes(UIWxxxx) do run hotter than other boxes including the Arris 4k boxes. Didn't measure it but even the Telus Tech who installed them said not to worry if I find them hot and it was normal for them. 

Ethel
Resident
  1. Ensure there is enough air flowing around the box to keep it cool - move it to a new location if required
  2. Ensure nothing is sitting on top or below the STB