cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optik TV issue: Orange "X" with grey # 1 on screen

cjmcneil
Helpful Neighbour

I disconnected the cables from my ActionTech T3200m modem so I could tidy up the birds nest of wires, but when I re-connected everything (assuming I did it correctly, see attacked screenshot links) The LAN & Wireless Internet work, but Optik TV isn't working.

After the grey gear icon finishes loading/booting I see an Orange "X" icon with a grey numeral "1" below the X.

Orange X 1.jpgI've read some offsite forums and folks say the box is dead?!!?! I've only had the thing for 2 days so I bloody hope it's not kaput already. 

Modem back.jpg

Optik box back.jpg

Optik box front.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Only pay attention to what you see on the TV.

- Unplug the receiver.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Plug in the receiver.
- When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the receiver again.
- Repeat this process two more times.
- Plug the receiver back In for the third time. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen. (Reloading the software can take 10-20 min)

If the Recovery screen does not appear, try again.

Your software is corrupted on your receiver so we’re trying to reload it from the steps above. If you can’t get it to reload you’ll have to call Telus for a replacement.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@cjmcneil  It appears your Optik Receiver is connected with a Black Ethernet cable but have it plugged into the WAN port of the modem.

Plug it into LAN port 1,2,3 or 4 Not WAN. Unplug the optik receiver then plug it back in. Your TV service should be restored.

@WestCoasterBC

Thanks WestCoaster, I tried that earlier but I'll try it again.

I was just on chat with Telus and they suspect the box is "toast" and will require a replacement, but I'll try when you suggested the post back my results. 

cjmcneil
Helpful Neighbour

@WestCoasterBC

I switched the network cable to a LAN port but no change. 20180914_185404 (1).jpg

Tried all 4 LAN ports still no change

Tried another network cable and unfortunately still the orange X.

Orange X.jpg

The activity link light on the back of the Optik box is flickering orange so it's not getting a signal from the modem? or the port inside is at fault? or other hardware inside the box? (in the below pic I have switched to another [yellow] network cable). 

Yellow cable - red link light.jpg

cjmcneil
Helpful Neighbour

Side note: No matter what I try the forum here seems to upload all my pics upside down, even if I pre-rotate/save them before uploading.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Unplug the box, hold down the ok button and down arrow and plug in the box not letting go of the buttons. Wait till you see 3 dots then let go. A gear and progress bar should appear and reload software in 10-20min.

The modem isn’t the issue, you corrupted the receiver software somehow when you unplugged/plugged in and perhaps unplugged again while it was booting. Just make sure you always you LAN port 1-4 for optik tv.

Thanks, I'll try that now and post my results.

cjmcneil
Helpful Neighbour

Forgive me but when you say "3 dots" so you mean on the TV screen or the Green Link, Blue HD and Red Red lights on the Optik box front?

I ask as I tried as you said and didn't see any dots on the TV screen, just the grey cog icon and the grey progress bar which then turned into the familiar Orange X.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Only pay attention to what you see on the TV.

- Unplug the receiver.
- Wait 10 seconds.
- Plug in the receiver.
- When three white dots appear on the screen, unplug the receiver again.
- Repeat this process two more times.
- Plug the receiver back In for the third time. Three white dots appear followed by a gear with a status bar at the bottom of the screen. (Reloading the software can take 10-20 min)

If the Recovery screen does not appear, try again.

Your software is corrupted on your receiver so we’re trying to reload it from the steps above. If you can’t get it to reload you’ll have to call Telus for a replacement.

@WestCoasterBC

Roger that, will do.

cjmcneil
Helpful Neighbour

Tried unplugging, holding in "OK" and "Down Arrow" and not letting go, plugging back in, but never did see the 3 dots on the tv screen, just the grey cog and progress bar. Did this 3 times with no success.

Tried the unplug, wait 10 seconds, plug back in then look for 3 dots on tv screen method, but again unfortunately I never get the 3 dots.

I'll contact Telus at this point and see about getting a replacement.

I really appreciate the help @WestCoasterBC 🙂 .

cjmcneil
Helpful Neighbour

If anything this may help the next person who encounters this issue. 

Thanks again. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The grey gear and progress bar, followed by the red X, is the box trying and failing to re-download the operating system. That can sometimes be triggered if the Optik box is rebooted a enough times without an internet connection or if it's rebooted while the gear or progress bar is still on the screen. Definitely have a tech come out and swap it.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I just went through the same painful process trying to come to a resolution with a Telus on-line chat tech.  Their claim was that the problem was insufficient bandwidth in my home.  I swapped out the box with another one we had in our house the problem was resolved.  There was no explanation from Telus for this.  Along the way, it was suggested that I try the method suggested here (word for word) which I had already tried to no avail. 

It was pretty clear to me that the box has malfunctioned and needs to be replaced.  The tech eventually (after 40 minutes) sort of agreed and scheduled a tech to come and have a look.

IMO, if you see this problem, request immediately that Telus come and replace it.  Don't waste time trying to fix it yourself and waste even more time hoping for an on-line chat fix.  The unit has failed, end of story.