cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPTIK TV streaming issue at my work home

ribbertw
Organizer

By accident, or by design, Telus has made it virtually impossible for me to stream my OPTIK TV at my work home

I have a second home in Alberta where I stay for work. I have hooked up Telus internet and security, but not OPTIK TV, because I am supposed to be able to stream it anywhere, including at my work home. But I can't access the login pages while connected to my Telus internet, so I disconnect and use my mobile hotspot, (also Telus) login in, and reconnect to Wi-Fi and then I can stream, until I change sources or the screen saver comes on. Then I have to do the whole thing again.

The last time I forced it like that the entire wireless system crashed for my house and I couldn't log back on to the Wi-Fi at all on any of my devices. Even hard reset with the reset button wouldn't work. I ended up leaving it unplugged for 24 hours and it worked after that.

I've called tech support multiple times and their only suggestion is a new box. 

Any thoughts/suggestions, besides switching my ISP to Shaw?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Probably the simplest would be to uninstall the Telus Internet Security software and see if that fixes the problem. I'm not familiar with it so I can't offer any recommendations for settings in the software.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you elaborate on what you are doing to access the login page? What browser, device, errors? Need more information as this seems unusual.

Good evening

I did have a service call for a tech to come and replace the box, but they went to the wrong house and then Covid hit

I don't watch much TV during the summer months so it hasn't really been much of a concern.

I have tried everything. I've been dealing with this issue since December

Using the Crave APP on my Smart (Roku) TV -

• Every single time I access the app I have to relog in 
  • I go to crave.ca/roku and login through my service provider (Telus)
  • Whether I use the My Telus Account or the older Optik TV account I get the same thing. The page refuses to load using my at home wireless
    • I have tried through my laptop computer using Chrome & Edge
    • I have tried through Chrome and Safari on multiple iPhones
  • I am able to connect virtually instantly and activate the APP through my cellular data

Using my laptop & desktop computers, Chrome, Safari, Edge

• watchoptiktv webpage
  • I am not able to login without disconnecting from my home Wi-Fi and using my mobile hotspot on my phone - the login screen refuses to load
  • Once I login I am able to reconnect to my home Wi-Fi and watch normally, for a single use, must re-login 

On my iPad and iPhones the Telus Optik TV app works without issue on the home Wi-Fi

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Any way you could try a wired connection to see if that works?

What kind of speeds are you seeing on your wireless? You can use this site to test:

https://www.speedtest.net/

Good morning.
On my phone, the speed test app gives me
11.4 mega bits download
15.8 upload
25 ping
On my laptop first test
54.5 download
15.8 upload
Phones second test
22.1 up and 19.8 down.
Laptop second test
30.4 down, 20.75 up, 20 ping
Wired my laptop is
80.3 down, 20.9 up, 11 ping
And
80.5 down, 20.9 up, 10 ping.
Telus authorization webpage will not load on wired connection either.
But loads right up when I tether to my phone.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Do you get any type of error when you try to access the telus login page?

Have you tried the Telus Optik TV app?

Hello again
I’ll look it up when I get home but it’s a could not connect type error.
The Optik TV app works fine on my iphone and ipad but when I try to mirror on to the big tv to watch I get an error that i can’t use the app while recording active.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my recollection, casting / mirroring is not supported. You can connect an Apple TV device, or supported Android TV devices, and even hardwire a computer, but you can’t cast.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

The error I get when I try to login is

This site can’t be reached
oauth.tv.Telus.net took too long to respond.

When connected to my Telus home internet.
When I connect to my mobile hotspot the page loads virtually instantly

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Possibly your employer is blocking the required site? That would explain why it works from home and using your phone as a hotspot.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sorry. I forgot you are working from a second home. This seems like a firewall type issue. Maybe something in the Telus internet security settings that is preventing you from accessing the site.

Thank you 🙂
I’m thinking the same thing
But how do I get that fixed without spending the next 20 hours on with tech support?

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Probably the simplest would be to uninstall the Telus Internet Security software and see if that fixes the problem. I'm not familiar with it so I can't offer any recommendations for settings in the software.

BillTelusCust
Rockstar

First of all, I recommend escalating with Telus tech support.  They must have something in the background linking your IP address or device to something in their authentication page.

There is no excuse for going through this kind of inconvenience and you need to get it escalated to someone who understands things in the back end.

I have a VPN on my fire stick, so I would try that. And I also use a different DNS server...but that's all just masking a Telus problem they should solve, which is not likely anything to do with your modem and everything to do with how they have your connection set up in the back enbd.

Escalating or using a VPN will not solve the issue if he's trying to mirror/cast the video from the Optik app to a TV. @ribbertw  even said Optik works fine on his phone. If he has an AppleTV he could just put the Optik TV app directly on it and watch TV that way without needing to cast/mirror.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I agree whole heartedly
But I have neither the time nor the patients to deal with the holding and explaining to tech support to escalate it three times to get to talk to someone who actually knows what’s going on rather that is just following cue cards step by step. I’ll switch to those unstable connections at Shaw way before then.