cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Choices

CindyB
Just Moved In
Why can't Telus offer more channel/Networks?
Like MEtv......
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you in Alberta? ME TV is available in BC, but seems not in AB. This may be due to licensing requirements. A search on the term MEtv will return a number of past discussions on this topic.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are you in Alberta? ME TV is available in BC, but seems not in AB. This may be due to licensing requirements. A search on the term MEtv will return a number of past discussions on this topic.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

xray
Hero

More on the "why" part to your question. Telus doesn't own any of the content so they can only distribute the channel if they have an agreement with the owner. If the owner/regulator says no then there's nothing Telus can do about it.

starchoice
Ambassador

Essentially, they need to make an application to the CRTC to carry the channel and they have not done so for reasons known only to them. It is seriously doubtful that the owner of the channel would refuse distribution. It's like if I owned a candy store in B.C. and said that I only ship within B.C. I won't ship to Alberta. Most owners want as much distribution as possible. This is how thy increase profits. [sarcasm]My guess is that TELUS is too busy moving channels between theme packs and doesn't have the time to devote to adding new channels of interest to its customer base.[sarcasm]

Nobody ships candy for free and with no conditions. There's a price to be paid. There's a minimum order quantity. If the buyer can't sell the candy at a profit or sell enough to meet the minimum order quantity why would they carry it in their store? There's also a cost associated with it taking up space on the shelf unsold.