cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netflix 4k download throttling?

nivekr
Friendly Neighbour

Does telus throttle netflix download speed?

I signed up for netflix premium 4k. I have purefibre 75 for internet. on netflix the fast.com speed test shows streaming 50mbps. when watching a movie netflix shows only 15.25mbps/2160. Is this normal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus isn't throttling any download speeds. 15.25mbps is Netflix's normal 4K streaming bandwidth. A quick google search will confirm that. Even if you have a faster internet connection, the bandwidth for their 4K video will not change.

If you want to get really technical, Netflix recently released a blog post detailing their recent changes to 4K video quality and bitrate: https://netflixtechblog.com/optimized-shot-based-encodes-for-4k-now-streaming-47b516b10bbb

As for your connection speed, if you test to other speed test sites, do you also see 50mbps as your connection speed? If yes, is the device you're testing from connected by ethernet or wireless?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus isn't throttling any download speeds. 15.25mbps is Netflix's normal 4K streaming bandwidth. A quick google search will confirm that. Even if you have a faster internet connection, the bandwidth for their 4K video will not change.

If you want to get really technical, Netflix recently released a blog post detailing their recent changes to 4K video quality and bitrate: https://netflixtechblog.com/optimized-shot-based-encodes-for-4k-now-streaming-47b516b10bbb

As for your connection speed, if you test to other speed test sites, do you also see 50mbps as your connection speed? If yes, is the device you're testing from connected by ethernet or wireless?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

nivekr
Friendly Neighbour

Thank you for the response. good to know that things are working correctly. With fast.com and speedtest.com on my wireless ipad I get a download speed of 60mbps. I suspect if i tested on my wired imac it would be higher but not 75 mbps as that is theorectical max?

The netflix article was interesting.