cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to buy fibre cable to rough in my open walls for tv

Needhelp
Friendly Neighbour
To anyone who can answer my question...what kind of fibre optic cable should I buy (by the lineal foot) to run through my open walls to where the tv will go? It will go from telus’s Fibre connection in our building all the way to the tv. All I need right now is the cable. I’m doing a reno and have to run out Monday am to the electrical wholesaler (Vancouver) and pick it up. Thanks so much to anyone who can give me a specification or a cable type.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could run a conduit to the location you want the router. Then either Fibre or Ethernet can be pulled through to the endpoint.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You won't want to run fibre inside the home. Telus will only run the fibre to one spot in your home. Only the Telus ONT or gateway will have a fibre port on it. Nothing else will. From there the fibre is converted to ethernet. Cat6 ethernet cables would be the most recommended wiring to use. It can support 10gbps in shorter runs so it should easily be able to handle anything coming from Telus fibre. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Needhelp
Friendly Neighbour
Thank you nighthawk. That’s a surprise. I understand telus only runs the fibre to one point in the suite close to the hallway (common area) to the first box. But I chose to have my router in another place. So in this case I still use Ethernet cable to the router? In another reno I did I called telus to come do the install but it was too open for them. So the fellow left me with the wire and said you had to be careful not to twist or pull this stuff too hard. That was my only experience. Thanks again.

Needhelp
Friendly Neighbour
Also what is ONT? And is gateway what used to be called a router?

Hi @Needhelp ,

What is ONT?
The ONT converts optical signals into electrical signals, and vice-versa. The ONT terminates the fiber optic line in an inner compartment and the premises Ethernet and telephone wiring in an outer compartment. (Basically converts fiber into Ethernet.

Is gateway what used to be called a router?

A gateway is a Modem, or Router. Now days they are usually built into one unit.

What is Conduit?

Ethernet, or Coax Cables (not fiber optics).
A conduit is a pipe or tube that is installed so that a cable (Ethernet, coax, etc) can be run at a later time without having to rip open a wall or ceiling. (Updated thanks to @Nighthawk)

Here is a picture diagram of the wiring. Fibre > ONT > Ethernet to Modem/Router > Wifi or Ethernet to devices

fiber-broadband-ont.jpg

Does Home Depot sell cat6 eithernet cable?

This depends on the location. I can tell you that Home Depot sells both Ethernet and Coax on their website.

However if you are running it through the walls, you may get just the wire, and cut it to length. Click Here for a video example.

I hope that helps clarify some things 🙂

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
A conduit is a pipe or tube that is installed so that a cable can be run at a later time without having to rip open a wall or ceiling.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Needhelp
Friendly Neighbour
Does Home Depot sell cat6 eithernet cable?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could run a conduit to the location you want the router. Then either Fibre or Ethernet can be pulled through to the endpoint.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Needhelp
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks NL. Conduit I assume is fibre? Or eithernet? I’m a novice.