cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My optic cable was turned off?

DD2
Friendly Neighbour
I was told today that the reason that my internet downloads were only 28.3 mbps (instead of the 150 im paying for) is because my fibre optic was "turned off" and I have been running on copper.

Ive had issues like this the whole past year that Ive supposedly been on fibre but since I only stream and surf the internet and am old and not so tech saavy, I figured it was issues with my devices and didnt pay much attention.

Then my wife complained about buffering on a stream she was watching and after a little searching I realized that should never happen on a new high end tv at our internet speeds.

Now I wonder if Ive ever actually had fibre service. I checked the availability of fibre in my area with the address search function and it says its available but then theres a list of cities where there is fibre optic available and my city, Maple Ridge isnt on it.

Whats goiing on here? Anyone ever had issues like this? To clarify, I have been paying for Fibre 150 all along.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Pretty easy to check if you have fibre. There will be an ONT (white box) with fibre cable running to it. If you have copper service there will be no ONT and only a Modem with a phone line(s) attached.

There is no way TELUS can just turn off your fibre if you truly had it without doing the work in your dwelling to switch it to copper vice versa.

To my knowledge Maple Ridge has yet to start a fibre rollout yet. If you’re truly being billed for fibre 150 call TELUS to sort it out.

According to your statement what internet service does it state you have and the price per month.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Pretty easy to check if you have fibre. There will be an ONT (white box) with fibre cable running to it. If you have copper service there will be no ONT and only a Modem with a phone line(s) attached.

There is no way TELUS can just turn off your fibre if you truly had it without doing the work in your dwelling to switch it to copper vice versa.

To my knowledge Maple Ridge has yet to start a fibre rollout yet. If you’re truly being billed for fibre 150 call TELUS to sort it out.

According to your statement what internet service does it state you have and the price per month.

DD2
Friendly Neighbour
Hi. Thanks for your reply. I have been paying for pure fibre 150 at 90/mth plus tax for a year now. I checked and I have the white box but also a regular modem which is the only one lit up with various cables/phone lines running from it into the wall. However, there is one cable connecting the the ONT and the modem to one another as well.

Today I asked if they could send a technician to address my internet speed and after being placed on hold a while, I was told that my fibre line was "turned off" ans so it made sense that I had been getting low speeds. They said, until they "turned it on" on their end, they couldnt send someone to my place to fix it because regardless, I would "still be running on copper". Im getting a call back tomorrow with a timeline on how long it will take to "turn on my fibre optic line" so someone can come and run diagnostics on it. I dont know a whole lot about this stuff but I thought that was weird.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have fibre optic and the line was turned off, you'd have no internet at all. They won't install copper and fibre internet to the same address, let alone the same device.  If you enter your address on Telus' website, you can see if fibre is even available to your area: https://www.telus.com/en/bc/internet/fibre/new/

What does the white box look like? What name or logo do you see on the white box? Does it look like this?

On the back of the Actiontec T3200m, are there any wires plugged into one or both of the green DSL sockets? Is there a network cable in the white socket?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

DD2
Friendly Neighbour
Hi, and thanks. That is the same nokia box and it has a white cable coming from the same area the yellow cable is coming from in your photo, plus the same green cable from the far right. The white cable connects to the back of a traditional modem which is secured right under it. And yes, when I enter my address it says there IS fibre available in my area. Thanks again for your help.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

So if there are no wires connected to DSL1 or DSL2 on the back of the T3200, you do not have copper at all. Strictly fibre, at which point if your fibre was "turned off" you would have no internet at all.

Is the slow speed only on wireless devices or does it affect computers physically plugged in to the T3200?

• If wireless, you'll likely need to tweak the settings on the T3200.
  • If wired, call Telus and have them ensure the correct profile is set for your connection.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

DD2
Friendly Neighbour
Thanks. I talked to them again and it sounds like I have two modems but the cable one is connected and the ONT is just mounted there above it dping nothing.

Last time I spoke to them they made it sound as if copper is a default to fibre and that fibre was probably working at some point but stopped.

When challenged this time with the info you memtioned, they admitted that my account payments are the only evidence that I have fibre, their system shows Im on cable.

Very frustrating but thanks for helping me understand that so they can fix this and I can get compensated for the past several months Ive been paying for nothing. Cheers!

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus does not offer 'cable' connections. They may use the existing coaxial cable in your dwelling to distribute TV signal from the modem to your PVR, but the incoming line Telus uses is either Fibre or telephone.

Can you post photos of the equipment and wiring for us?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

DD2
Friendly Neighbour
Oh man. Having trouble copying and padting onto these messages on my cell phone. Any other way to get you the photo or want me tp just describe the connections I see?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can describe what you see. It is easiest if you start at one end and go to the other. Bullet format is usually easier to follow than a paragraph.

NFtoBC

DD2
Friendly Neighbour
My T3200M (WAN) is connected by a white cable to Nokia ONT (Data1)

What im guessing is the fibre optic cord with the green end piece has a thin wire that leads to a small box that says primex

A cable runs from primex and disappears into the wall

Cables from LAN 2, LAN 3, and LAN 4 from T3200M to C5E+ Data Module

C5E also has three blue cords split into inputs 1-6

There is a cord from the wall that splits and connects to primary telephone module

There is a cable that comes up the wall and splits into three (MB/LV/BR) and enters another hole in the wall

Both boxes have power cords

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@DD2 wrote:
My T3200M (WAN) is connected by a white cable to Nokia ONT (Data1)

Makes sense

What im guessing is the fibre optic cord with the green end piece has a thin wire that leads to a small box that says primex

A cable runs from primex and disappears into the wall

Primex is a manufacturer of enclosures. It likely contains a fibre optic connection between the incoming fibre and the bit going to the ONT.

Cables from LAN 2, LAN 3, and LAN 4 from T3200M to C5E+ Data Module

C5E also has three blue cords split into inputs 1-6

Like this? The blue cords are likely Ethernet cables and all eight wires off each should be attached to one block, not split across all 6.

There is a cord from the wall that splits and connects to primary telephone module

Any wires FROM this?

There is a cable that comes up the wall and splits into three (MB/LV/BR) and enters another hole in the wall

Sounds like telephone wire. Are these attached to any terminal block of any sort, or are the wires just twisted together?

The Primex and the Nokia?  Can the Primex be opened?

72VUEHz.jpg

NFtoBC

DD2
Friendly Neighbour
Like this? The blue cords are likely Ethernet cables and all eight wires off each should be attached to one block, not split across all 6.

Similar to that pic, yes.

Any wires FROM this?

No wire from it.

Sounds like telephone wire. Are these attached to any terminal block of any sort, or are the wires just twisted together?

Just twisted and disappear into the wall.

The Primex and the Nokia? Can the Primex be opened?

No. Sorry. I meant the 3200 and the Nokia have power cords. The primex opens. Its a small box. Like 3x5 inches. Inside I see the fibre optic cord. It twists around in a circle. I can see It becomes the white cord that exits the bottom and disappears in a hole in the wall. The same I mentioned before.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then it sounds like you are on Fibre 25, but paying for 150.

NFtoBC

DD2
Friendly Neighbour
Yeah. I kind of figured. For well over a year now. They said they are sending a tech guy here to confirm that and then they will discuss how to compensate me. Question is, how could a qualified person leave my house and say. Yep. All good to go. Enjoy your fibre optic 150 ???