cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple PVR's in one home

Kalidgh
Advisor

I was wondering if a home can have more than one Optik  PVR in it??  My service came with 1 PVR, and another UHD wireless set top box.  I have got my hands on 2 free PVR's and want to add them to my account and connect my other 2 TV's in my home so I have all 4 hooked up like when I was on Shaw. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can use them just not as PVR. Only one PVR is allowed on an account, and the Optik setup. If they’re the Cisco boxes they’re really old and slow. Give them a whirl. 

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Only one PVR can be used on your account and setup. 

Well crap.  I had read that you could use them still as a set top box but the record function wouldn't work......so I grabbed them when I had the opportunity

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can use them just not as PVR. Only one PVR is allowed on an account, and the Optik setup. If they’re the Cisco boxes they’re really old and slow. Give them a whirl. 

Arris 5602WT

I dont think the 5602 boxes are PVR. 5662 boxes are PVR.

Finally hooked up, everything works fine....only one records and stores but gets its commands from the other STB's  .....kinda like a server I guess.  Some TV's run on Coax with a MOCA box, and others are via Ethernet.  I have switches behind asome to hard wire play stations / Apple TV's / wifi boosters etc.  

So Modem to :

- computer 

- ethernet - switch -  STB / Playstation / Apple TV / Wifi booster ( extender ? ) 

- ethernet - switch - Computer / Computer / Sonos 

- Coax - MOCA - TV

- Coax - Moca - TV / Apple TV 

Got a big house LOL 

Would the analog outputs work on the older boxes?

Yes, they work. As a matter of fact, you need a breakout cable set for the analog from the newer 4K boxes

I'd like to know where I could get one to give it a try.  Seems to me it's something many customers would be discarding now.  I haven't seen any advertised for sale.

What are you looking for exactly? Old receiver or breakout cable for the new 4k receiver?

Old receiver.  I have a breakout cable, but Telus apparently did some firmware update maybe a year ago where the analogue connection no longer works for me (because of HDCP?)

I didn't know about Telus making changes.  I still have an older receiver that I specifically requested as an exchange for my 4K receiver to do some troubleshooting with regards to the HDMI handshake.  I thought you need the breakout cable only for the newer 4K receivers as there is no analog out.  I did use one of those for a short time.  With the older ones, the audio out(L&R) still works in my receiver.  But, then again my receiver is not that old like Scientific Atlanta CIS series.  

I cant help you. I dont run anything in analogue. In my world its HD or nothing

If I do manage to get one (I see there are some advertised on Craigslist), I wonder if I could just connect it (Ethernet?) or if it would require an extra monthly charge from Telus. 

Normally, Telus would allow it.  However, it is not as simple as connecting with an ethernet cable.  You have to call them and request an authorization/activation code before the STB will work.  Till then it will be stuck on a screen asking for the code.  I have done it a couple of times and they have always been nice about it.  

no charge to add them, however there is a monthly charge if you rent them

People moving.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@pbsme ,

Telus expect the return of used equipment when new is installed. This may be part of an environmental stewardship process, or other, but it results in few devices existing in the wild. In addition, to my recollection, customers are renting the devices, rather than owning them.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I guess that depends on whether Telus or the home owner own it. Why would anyone rent a STB when they can buy it outright and be ahead of the game 2 years down the road ? I rent nothing