cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending Optik TV range

65Val
Coach

Anything new for this issue?I want to have Optik TV in my garage, but it's out of range for my router. I read the post from 2018 which said there may be something in the works. Hoping there is....

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14

starchoice
Ambassador

Have you tried the TELUS Boost Wi Fi Starter Pack?

WiFi range is fine. Looking to increase Optik TV range.

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

The powerline extender I mentioned earlier will have both a wifi access point as well as an ethernet port. I would recommend using the ethernet to the Optik TV box and you should be good to go.

Just a long time customer hoping to help.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Remember, Wi-Fi is a 2 way communication. It is not just the router that needs to have great enough signal, so does the Optik box. Currently, there is no change to the Optik boxes to increase their range. Have you any means to run an Ethernet cable to your garage?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Yes, thats my problem… not enough signal to the box. I dont know if I could squeeze another cable in the conduit to the garage.

@65Val  You have conduit i assume------ 1 telephone ------ 1 coax-----in a 3/4  conduit.  Use the coax and pull a good pull string in to conduit . Them remove tell wire  and pull 2 cates and 2 tell wires back in with a new good pull string also. Redo the ends and hookup  Prime cables has a rj45 crimper with a cable tester for under $ 20 and you can buy the rj45 ends also. I have it works great. Best to add extra cate cable you never know. Polecat

65Val
Coach

Cates?...rj45?...Sorry, not familiar with those terms...I'm not a tech. All I see on the back of the Optik wireless receiver box is Power in, HDMI out, USB, Ethernet and optical sockets.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Cates = Cat 6 ethernet cable

rj45 = the name of the connector on the end of an ethernet cable.

NFtoBC

Thanks NFtoBC. Again, not a tech so haven’t a clue how to do that. Would be nice if there was a plug’n play wireless booster unit for Optik TV.

RobbieBert
Helpful Neighbour

ethernet is typically R45

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Powerline networking has served me well for years. Something like this would likely do the trick:

TP-Link AV600 Powerline WiFi Extender (TL-WPA4220 KIT) - Powerline Adapter with N300 WiFi, WiFi Boos...

Ok thanks for that, but our WiFi is fine… it’s the TV signal I need extended.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The power line adapter extends ethernet to the location of your TV. You then use it for the TV signal.

NFtoBC

FuzzyLogic
Community Power User
Community Power User

Here is some additional information on powerline. Very close to plug and play:

What Is a Powerline Adapter? (lifewire.com)