cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connected to display monitor

Gayle
Organizer

I have an optik box connected to a spare  pc monitor to use as a second tv.

No problem with connection and can use remote to access: turn on change channels etc.

However I have to control speaker volume on the monitor itself.  Would a soundbar with a 

remote work?  And is there such thing as an inexpensive one?

Or is there some way to connect the optik remote to control volume? 

Or would it just be less expensive to pick up another tv?   Thanks in Advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most PC monitors do not have speakers so you'll need some sort of external speaker to use. If you're connected with HDMI to the monitor you may have some issues getting audio to a sound bar unless you're using an optical speaker cable.

A monitor with built in speakers can work also but the sound quality will be poor as most of the speakers are pretty weak / tiny. They can be similar in cost to a small TV also. As can speakers. If you did decide the monitor route, the lowest cost one I see on Amazon is a 24" Asus monitor. The one feature it has is that if the built-in speakers are too quiet, you can connect a cheap set of PC speakers to the monitor itself. There are others out there to choose from though. The Optik remote won't be able to contol the volume on the monitor itself but can control the volume on the Optik box.

If you did decide on a TV, the challenge with smaller TVs, especially at local stores, is they tend to be 720p only. You'll want 1080o Now with black friday coming up, you may be able to pick up a small TV for pretty cheap, or maybe even a monitor with speakers too. Just avoid RCA (they're crap, and usually the ones walmart has on sale). Some cheaper store brands / lesser known Chinese brands don't work well (or at all) with the Optik remote so you'll have to watch which one you choose.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most PC monitors do not have speakers so you'll need some sort of external speaker to use. If you're connected with HDMI to the monitor you may have some issues getting audio to a sound bar unless you're using an optical speaker cable.

A monitor with built in speakers can work also but the sound quality will be poor as most of the speakers are pretty weak / tiny. They can be similar in cost to a small TV also. As can speakers. If you did decide the monitor route, the lowest cost one I see on Amazon is a 24" Asus monitor. The one feature it has is that if the built-in speakers are too quiet, you can connect a cheap set of PC speakers to the monitor itself. There are others out there to choose from though. The Optik remote won't be able to contol the volume on the monitor itself but can control the volume on the Optik box.

If you did decide on a TV, the challenge with smaller TVs, especially at local stores, is they tend to be 720p only. You'll want 1080o Now with black friday coming up, you may be able to pick up a small TV for pretty cheap, or maybe even a monitor with speakers too. Just avoid RCA (they're crap, and usually the ones walmart has on sale). Some cheaper store brands / lesser known Chinese brands don't work well (or at all) with the Optik remote so you'll have to watch which one you choose.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I already have a monitor hooked up and changes channels etc fine and it has internal speakers and yes by hdmi. 

Didn't really want to spend money on a sound bar anyways.

I was just hoping to find a way

to use the remote to control the volume as it is setup a bit higher  than I can comfortably reach. Dang.  

I wasn't sure what you meant by controlling volume on optik box?

I may try my speakers i have with my computer to see if sound any better then watch for a good deal on another set.  Then keep

a step stool handy in kitchen for when I have to adjust volume.  Good exercise I guess . Like the old days before remotes. Ha ha.

Thanks for your help.

Gayle