cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t get the 4K tv box to use ethernet

MonkeyRPN
Organizer
I can’t seemed to get my new 4K optiv tv box to use the Ethernet connection instead of using wifi. Tried watching Netflix app on it... and it was so slow!!! I looked into the systems menu and there’s no way for me to default the box to Ethernet and not wireless. I restarted it and it’s still the same. It tells me there are no source and jump to Wi-Fi initiation. Help! I ran cat 6 to all the rooms with tv to be able able to hard wire all the tv boxes!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@MonkeyRPN wrote:
Hi, sorry for sounding so novice.... how can I verify? The cat 6 are ran by an electrician, should I ask him if he used T568A or T568B? And how to fix if they aren’t terminated properly?

Simple test: get a cheap Ethernet cable and run from the problem box to your router. TV should work. Call Electrician, and ask why his Ethernet wiring does not work similarly well, and get him to correct the problem.

Don’t forget to confirm your router is currently properly connected to your house network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Have you verified your ends have been terminated properly. Seems you have bad termination of ends or you made one end T568A standard the other T568B standard. Both ends must be the same either A or B.

T568B standard is normally used.

Hi, sorry for sounding so novice.... how can I verify? The cat 6 are ran by an electrician, should I ask him if he used T568A or T568B? And how to fix if they aren’t terminated properly?

If your electrician ran the lines he should have verified the terminated ends after install with his network cable tester. If there is a bad end with a wire(s) that isn’t terminated properly the cable will be at fault. I’m assuming they terminated jacks and you just plugged your network cable in?

A quick google search will show you the T568A or B termination.

Take a picture of the terminated ends showing the wire colors and I will probably be able to tell you if they are A or B. Telus installers use A standards for the majority of the lines they run. If you have A terminated at one end and B at the other it will mess the data transfer up and the set top box will not get a good connection.

Also make sure the lines you ran are plugged in to the modem in some way either directly in to one of the yellow LAN ports or through a compatible network switch.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@MonkeyRPN wrote:

Simple test: get a cheap Ethernet cable and run from the problem box to your router. TV should work. Call Electrician, and ask why his Ethernet wiring does not work similarly well, and get him to correct the problem.

Don’t forget to confirm your router is currently properly connected to your house network.

NFtoBC

OMG... yes I connect it directly to the router and it worked! Something is not right with the wiring within wall to wall. Thank you! I’m gonna call the electrician.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Just remember, Ethernet wiring in your house will be from a central location to each room. Generally, you can’t simply plug in in one room and connect to a jack in another, as @Chicnstu @indicated, the router or a switch should be located in your telecommunications cabinet.

NFtoBC

Yes, I had arranged for all the Cat 6 to start right next to the router location, then spread to run to each room. I wasn't trying to connect the Cat 6 from one room to another. I was specifically running a Cat 6 from the router, to the wall jack next to it corresponding to the wall jack in my living room. Then from that wall jack into my TV box. It didn't work... but it worked when I run a direct Cat 6 from the TV box straight to my router. So I'm fairly certain now the issue is at the wall jacks, or the wire in between? 

It will probably be a bad wire(s) when he used his punch down tool that didn’t terminate properly.

Yep hopefully it's just a bad punch down termination and not something like a staple that went through the cable somewhere in the wall. That would be a much bigger fix, possibly requiring a new line run.