Boost wifi and wireless cable box

Highlighted
Neighbour
Hey everyone. I recently set up a Telus boost wifi system in my house. I turned off my 3200 modem wireless signal to not have a second signal. Can my wireless 4k cable box connect with boost wifi? Or am I stuck turning the 3200 wifi back on and giving it it's own network name? I know I can hook up a boost wifi directly to the wireless box but I'd rather keep the wifi out of the bedroom. Thanks everyone.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my knowledge, you need to use the T3200M Wi-Fi to connect to your Optik box, or connect it to Ethernet. I understand the  Boost devices don't have the multicast facilities to manage the TV broadcast requirements.

You realize the Optik box broadcasts a Wi-Fi signal, too?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour
Are you saying it broadcasts a wifi signal as in it makes your house a mesh system? Or are you saying the obvious that it connects to the 3200 via wifi? Poor planning from Telus that I have to run two wifi networks. That's bull crap.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

The latter. I just find it interesting that some folks seem to have the idea that only the router creates a Wi-Fi signal, and all other devices are RF-free.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Guardian

@RobV wrote:
Poor planning from Telus that I have to run two wifi networks. That's bull crap.

You don't have to run 2 WiFi networks. That's just he way you set it up.

Where is the T3200M located in your house? Are you on copper or fiber?

Highlighted
Neighbour
Fibre. If I want my cable box to be on wifi it has to connect to the 3200 wifi signal thus the two wifis in the house. Telus should have it lined up that with the boost wifi they would use the new router from the same company as the boost wifi system and allow it all to connect simultaneously. Unless I'm missing something here? As far as I know cable box and 3200 have to be connected to have the wireless cable box. My wifi names and passwords have not changed when I went to the boost wifi. I made sure to do this because I have an entire network of Chromecast, wifi cameras, ecobee etc etc, it saves from having to re do the wifi for every device. Coles notes.