cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying Flashing LEDs on rear of Optik 4K PVR

emcee2
Coach
Hi,

First and foremost, the PVR is functioning correctly. My issue is really a design issue and there is probably nothing to be done, but maybe a software patch could resolve the problem.

There are 2 LEDs on the back of the Optik TV 4K PVR, integrated into the RJ45 connector.
They are always flashing... one seemingly at a regular frequency, the other randomly.

They light output from them is quite annoying in a darkened room. So annoying I’m contemplating some some of “intervention”.

I’m sure these are just indicating network status, although there seems to be activity all the time, even when the PVR is neither on or recording nor is any other wireless box playing back.

So... I’ll try putting some electrical tape over the LEDs. It would actually be nice if there was a software toggle to turn these off, or a timeout after the box has initialized. I mean really, the information they convey isn’t that important.

I suppose that the is a possibility that my physical network configuration is not ideal and that’s why the LEDs are flashing (?).

The connection back to the Actiontec T3200 goes though a network switch, then a converter (all TELUS supplied) to coax cable that is directly connected to the T3200.

I could replace the Coax and converter with a CAT 5e or 6 cable, at least for a test, though I cannot imagine that will change anything with the LEDs. It also isn’t going to be easy to implement on a permanent basis.

Unless of course the LEDs are flashing BECAUSE of the connection through the coax, converter and switch.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then electrical tape, or white-out is your best solution.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

jackrabbit000
Ambassador
Normal for the LED’s to flash randomly. It’s communicating on the network. Every single device connected to the network does this. It’s on the back of the PVR, I never even notice it on mine in a dark room, they’re not that bright.

Well... I care. The flashing lights up the room.

Every device with a RJ45 jack has these lights. My computers, router, smart TV, network switches and game consoles all have them. It's part of the industry standard design. You can't buy a mass produced RJ45 jack that doesn't have them.

If it bothers you that much then put a piece of electical tape over the lights.

I realize that most network devices have status LEDs.  Some of them don't flash in this way.  For instance, the network switch I have connected in my network path.  That's either because of a different implementation in the hardware, or a different bit of code in the firmware of the box.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative... but there are plenty of RJ45 without LEDs.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Switches are a little different. They will still have status LEDs. Some have them built in to the RJ45 sockets and some switches have them elsewhere on the housing but they are still there. It all depends on how the manufacturer designs their hardware. I have both types of switches. I have an 8 port gigabit switch behind my monitor and it's the type with the LEDs integrated in the RJ45 sockets. They are facing the wall and unless the room is pitch black, I can't even see the glow unless I specifically go over to the desk the switch is on. That's with all 8 ports connected also. The ethernet LEDs on my PVR are nothing in comparison.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I guess we got some RJ45s that are brighter than normal

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

piece of electrical tape problem solved. 😀

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then electrical tape, or white-out is your best solution.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Yes!  Exactly!

They are very bright and get brighter at times.  This is very annoying when box is in a room where people sleep.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

As long as there is even one hardwired device passing traffic, which can include the T3200M, and the set top boxes since they're always on, the LEDs will flicker. My PC, even when off still has the LEDs lit on the network card as long as the cable is plugged in.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂