cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A TELUS LG 4K Television that isn't

TELUSanother
Friendly Neighbour

Back in the summer of 2017, I signed up for three services with TELUS and received a free 4K - 42 inch LG television. Wonderful. except the television, along with a 4K box, has never transmitted a 4K resolution.

I experimented watching Sportsnet 4K transmission of Blue Jays games (and other 4K programming) where I could switch channels quickly between standard HD and 4K transmissions of the same programming only to determine that there was not one iota of difference. I contacted TELUS who sent out a rep to inspect my 4K box and ensure all was well. He undertook two visits and spent the best part of three hours trying to rectify the problem with no success. Finally, out of a degree of sympathy and with reluctance, the TELUS rep advised that a 42 inch television is not capable of transmitting 4K clarity and that at a minimum, a 55 inch television is required, or preferably a 65 inch. I contacted TELUS back then to discuss the issue but they were unwilling to upgrade to a larger television. I have long ago 'let the issue subside'.

However, would other TELUS subscribers advise if they've had a similar problem and whether the TELUS rep's comment was valid? Yes, I well accept that a larger TV will provide a better 4K resolution, but my request is only to determine whether a TELUS-provided 42 inch television is capable of providing the required 4K clarity? I'm a strong supporter of TELUS, but it seems deceiving to have promoted a free 4K television of that size knowing it's incapable of providing 4K programming. TELUS has since upgraded the size of its free TV offer.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Any tv that displays 3840x2160 is classed as a 4K panel. You’re watching 1920x1080 upscaled on any other channel not labelled 4K

There are true 4K channels on Telus one being TravelXP. You do realize you receive a budget LG not a flagship with all the bells and whistles? 

The amount of actual sports content in 4K you’re lucky to get a game every few weeks. As sets jump up in size the pixel density increases. TELUS offered  what they stated a 4K panel..

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Any tv that displays 3840x2160 is classed as a 4K panel. You’re watching 1920x1080 upscaled on any other channel not labelled 4K

There are true 4K channels on Telus one being TravelXP. You do realize you receive a budget LG not a flagship with all the bells and whistles? 

The amount of actual sports content in 4K you’re lucky to get a game every few weeks. As sets jump up in size the pixel density increases. TELUS offered  what they stated a 4K panel..

Thank you WestCoasterBC for your valuable comments. I certainly appreciate that TELUS provided a 4K TV. Travel XP as well as Love Nature (which I subscribe to) both show a superior picture to other non-4K channels, although the picture quality of Love Nature (HD) is identical to Love Nature (4K) which raised the issue for me of whether I was actually receiving 4K quality on designated 4K channels. Now that you have explained that non-4K channels are upscaled to near 4K quality answers that question - thank you. I wasn't aware of that upgrading enhancement.

Yes, I'm aware of the sporadic broadcast of 4K sports events - in the case of the infrequent Sportsnet 4K broadcast of Blue Jays games, the picture quality difference between the HD and 4K channels was non-existent, and not overly impressive. Vast difference between Travel XP quality and one of those sporadic Blue Jays games on 4K. Maybe there are different qualities of 4K transmissions in the same way that there are different qualities of HD transmission. I'll accept that TELUS provided a genuine 4K television although your comments would clearly indicate that if I was to upgrade to a 55" or 65" TV, the 4K quality would be further enhanced. Again, much appreciated. I'll "Like" your comment and mark as "Accepted Solution" after reviewing a few other responses, if they follow.

You should have asked for a manager mine got upgraded with no extra charges a small TV isnt 4k coz you need a BIGGER screen so you ca see the difference the bigger the screen the larger the pixels it makes no sense if your tv is small and youre running 4k on it looks weird, if you cant get what you want you can threaten them about posting your experience online thats what i do and I always get what I want.

No company is going to upgrade a 3 year old tv. They received what the offer was and what was current at the time for technology of a budget friendly freebie.

Can you return a car in three years because it’s a newer model with more bells and whistles for free? No..

No argument from me about having accepted the offer at the time. I did speak with higher-level service people after the TELUS rep's comments about a 42 inch TV not being capable of transmitting 4K quality, and I had to ultimately accept that not only was the offer of a free TV generous but various incentive rebates at the time were equally welcome. My Post was not intended to secure a substitute TV after such a lengthy time but to determine whether a 42 inch TV is capable of 4K quality, and if not why TELUS would promote such a product. It's frustrated me not knowing whether I was watching 4K quality on specific channels compared to same network HD transmissions. The fact that they were identical raised the concern that I was not receiving 4K quality. Your prior comment about HD enhancement to near 4K quality on identical HD channels has clarified that matter.

In response to another Poster's comments, I appreciate his remarks but not in my genes to go around threatening companies or individuals. In my view, TELUS has always been accommodating with rectifying issues or recommending alternatives, and certainly compensating me for what, at times, have been minor annoyances. Frankly, I wish other corporations would follow their service level lead, notwithstanding the frustration of believing, for two and a half years, that I was not receiving a described product.

oh thats true they give out freebies rebates after they cant give you what you want I always asks for credits like free video on demand, I remember calling like for 3days and each rep has given me 5 video on demand credits- 

@TELUSanother wrote:

Thank you WestCoasterBC for your valuable comments. I certainly appreciate that TELUS provided a 4K TV. Travel XP as well as Love Nature (which I subscribe to) both show a superior picture to other non-4K channels, although the picture quality of Love Nature (HD) is identical to Love Nature (4K) which raised the issue for me of whether I was actually receiving 4K quality on designated 4K channels. Now that you have explained that non-4K channels are upscaled to near 4K quality answers that question - thank you. I wasn't aware of that upgrading enhancement.

Yes, I'm aware of the sporadic broadcast of 4K sports events - in the case of the infrequent Sportsnet 4K broadcast of Blue Jays games, the picture quality difference between the HD and 4K channels was non-existent, and not overly impressive. Vast difference between Travel XP quality and one of those sporadic Blue Jays games on 4K. Maybe there are different qualities of 4K transmissions in the same way that there are different qualities of HD transmission. I'll accept that TELUS provided a genuine 4K television although your comments would clearly indicate that if I was to upgrade to a 55" or 65" TV, the 4K quality would be further enhanced. Again, much appreciated. I'll "Like" your comment and mark as "Accepted Solution" after reviewing a few other responses, if they follow.

Not all programs on the 4K channels are shot in 4K. If the source program is only available in HD then it is upscaled at TELUS to 4K before being broadcast on the 4K channel. When you watch the same program on the HD channel your TV will do the upscaling. Either way the picture quality will be limited to the original HD source since upscaling can't create additional detail, it can only interpolate the missing detail based on the existing HD data. In that case there won't be much difference between watching the 4K channel and watching the HD channel on any 4K display regardless of the display size.

@josephyoung wrote:

You should have asked for a manager mine got upgraded with no extra charges a small TV isnt 4k coz you need a BIGGER screen so you ca see the difference the bigger the screen the larger the pixels it makes no sense if your tv is small and youre running 4k on it looks weird, if you cant get what you want you can threaten them about posting your experience online thats what i do and I always get what I want.

This isn't true at all. I have a 28 inch 4K monitor I use for Photoshop and video editing and it makes a huge difference when compared side by side with my HD monitor. There are high-end laptops with 4K displays that are only 13 to 15 inches. What matters is the apparent pixel size from your viewing position. If you are closer to a smaller display the pixels will look just as big as if you are further away from a larger display. 

TELUSanother
Friendly Neighbour

Xray, thanks for great information - your explanation of the variables involved with the source program being transmitted on a 4K designated channel is very useful and answers many of my questions. I'm surprised the original onsite TELUS rep, who claimed to have 15 years of experience within the industry, didn't have your level of knowledge rather than claiming that a 42 inch 4K TV isn't able to transmit 4K quality. Because of his comments, I have believed that I have not been watching true 4K quality on any designated channels compared to those same networks offering equal quality of the same program in HD format.

In retrospect, based on your further comment about a 28 inch 4K monitor, I could have better evaluated the overall answer due to the fact that I have a 27 inch Retina 5K monitor (iMac) that produces spectacular quality from a distance of 2 feet. 

@TELUSanother wrote:

Xray, thanks for great information - your explanation of the variables involved with the source program being transmitted on a 4K designated channel is very useful and answers many of my questions. I'm surprised the original onsite TELUS rep, who claimed to have 15 years of experience within the industry, didn't have your level of knowledge rather than claiming that a 42 inch 4K TV isn't able to transmit 4K quality. Because of his comments, I have believed that I have not been watching true 4K quality on any designated channels compared to those same networks offering equal quality of the same program in HD format. 

There are many areas of "the industry", it's not possible to know all of it. I pride myself in keeping up with technology in many areas but I'm sure the TELUS rep knows stuff I have no clue about.

@TELUSanother wrote:

In retrospect, based on your further comment about a 28 inch 4K monitor, I could have better evaluated the overall answer due to the fact that I have a 27 inch Retina 5K monitor (iMac) that produces spectacular quality from a distance of 2 feet. 

Yes, that's a very nice monitor. Yet, if you display a low resolution photo or video full screen on that monitor it will still look like a low resolution photo or video. The monitor cannot magically make it look any better.

TELUSanother
Friendly Neighbour

@xray wrote:

Yes, that's a very nice monitor. Yet, if you display a low resolution photo or video full screen on that monitor it will still look like a low resolution photo or video. The monitor cannot magically make it look any better.

Yes, true and point taken.