cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient funds despite topping up account with $100

RLEaccount
Just Moved In

I topped up my pay-per-use account with $100, but when I try to make a call I get a message saying that my funds were insufficient. But when I check my account, it lists my balance as 120 dollars. What's wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you also purchase a prepaid plan or add-on? Telus moved a while ago from simply consuming minutes at a per-minute rate to requiring you to have a  plan or add-on. If you have run out of minutes for the 30 days, you can purchase an add-on of extra minutes. If your 30 days has expired, you need to be  sure you have a base plan currently in place.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Did you also purchase a prepaid plan or add-on? Telus moved a while ago from simply consuming minutes at a per-minute rate to requiring you to have a  plan or add-on. If you have run out of minutes for the 30 days, you can purchase an add-on of extra minutes. If your 30 days has expired, you need to be  sure you have a base plan currently in place.

NFtoBC

CB2019
Friendly Neighbour

I've also had this problem of applying money to my account last year and yet the Prepaid Plan expired even though the plan has "Auto-renew" enabled. I ultimately had to contact Telus to get it straightened out.

It's now a year later, and it appears that whatever I am doing still isn't working. In fact, now I am being charged for messages even though my prepaid plan hasn't even yet expired.

To top it off, the online "Contact us" link is broken.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You haven’t indicated which plan you use. If an annual plan, is it possible you have exceeded the number of texts?

I’ve had no problem with the Contact Us link, but have found the chat function is now limited to certain narrow, specific service areas, and all other users need to call.  You can of course contact Telus through their Twitter and Facebook pages.

NFtoBC

CB2019
Friendly Neighbour

It is an annual plan. It has not yet expired and has plenty of messages / calls remaining.

The "Contact Us" link is now functional again, but it is basically a circular link and doesn't really get you anywhere useful as in email address phone numbers, etc. Apparently, if you go through the "Escalation" link, that does appear to head out of the tunnel.

I was able to find the online Chat link from another helpful post on this forum. That looks like what I had to end up using last year to resolve this issue. I wish I had found this forum earlier.

To summarize my problem, I try to add money to pay for another year of prepaid calls/messages (400 min/400 msgs). The money goes into my account. My plan says it will "auto-renew". It didn't last year and considering that the $100 I put in this year is now being used up to pay for messages even though I still have 300+ msgs available on my not as yet expired plan, I expect the same issue as last year is happening.

So, I assume that I will be able to get Telus to sort it out again as they did last year, including putting in credits for the incorrect billing that is currently going on. But, if there is something that I am missing in trying to update my yearly prepaid account, I would like to know what it is or if this is just the way it is.

CB2019
Friendly Neighbour

Please pardon the follow up to my own post. Hopefully, a picture is worth a few hundred words.This is the current status of my "plan". Shouldn't the $100 I added be used to "auto renew" this plan? I saw in other posts a mention of having to "purchase a new plan". Is that actually necessary and if so, can one do that online and how/where?

Plan.jpg

It looks like they didn't update your $100/ 365/400/400 to a new expiry date. What remaining calls you had left are not carried forward to use. Not like the old $100/365 which had pay by the minute for local /ld and text. I have this plan and looking to find a new supplier in september that is pay by minute including long distance. Phone rarely used (travel only) its for piece of mind only. The old plan was nice the unused $ were carried over into the next year so i used the $ to buy a better phone at the time. Polecat

I never used automatic  renew. Couple of days before date i redid the account and it showed the update right away on the screen that i was on.

CB2019
Friendly Neighbour

Well, it is finally sorted out.

Subsequent to my first post, I received a text message from Telus stating that the "Renew" was going to be done on the expiry date. I had to contact Telus support via the "Escalated" chat to find out about the charges. Turns out, they are "data" charges. My cell phone has Cellular data disabled, so I have no explanation as to what happened there.

In any case, Telus support was extremely helpful and credited me the $0.04 so I didn't have to use my credit card for that and they offered to put a data block on the account. That is done now, so I am a happy camper.

That is, of course, if the rollover actually does happen on the expiry data this time. 🤞

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Even when you have data turned off on the phone, data can sneak by, especially when the phone is re-started. This is especially a problem for those who connect to a US carrier who still maintain a 2G (Edge) network, as that data seems less well managed by the phone. Adding the Telus data block is a good idea.

Oh, make sure you have $100 plus taxes in your account at time of renewal, or it will fail.

NFtoBC

CB2019
Friendly Neighbour

I did pay the taxes up front already. The $100 is what is left in the account.

My data is disabled also. They changed my $100/365 prepaid to the $100/365/400/400 end of August last year. Went to use ld to call relatives  about my wife's condition at hospital in Calgary and got cut off in the call. They said they informed me but i never used the phone for approx 3 months. New plan no ld. I checked message on phone back at motel after calling Telus. You have to buy the ld extra. It annoyed me but they put $50 on the account for ld that will be gone in October this Year. The message did not say that long distance was not on the new plan.  We used texting on the way to calgary and thought nothing more of it. Telus does not have a simple way of telling you what is included in the plans ( like top up early adjusted on expiry date) they have and reps don't know everything as i found out. Polecat