cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insufficient funds despite buying Talk and Text 100.

Mel3
Neighbour

I bought an unlocked phone at Walmart, activated it and bought the Talk & Text 100 prepaid plan online 8 days ago. I am able to make calls with it from my house and from the city over. However, in a different town 15 minutes away from my home, I am unable to place a call and instead get told that my balance has insufficient funds. Despite being unable to call anyone, I am still able to text. Why does it tell me that I don't have enough balance even though I've only used about 3 minutes so far? And why only in this town and not when I'm sitting in my driveway?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Talk and Text 100 includes local calling only. If you are outside your local calling area, or trying to make a call to a long distance number, you would likely get the error message you describe.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The Talk and Text 100 includes local calling only. If you are outside your local calling area, or trying to make a call to a long distance number, you would likely get the error message you describe.

NFtoBC

I see, I didn't read the plan carefully enough. How would I get long distance calling with prepaid? If I bought a prepaid voucher from the store, for example, would that give me a balance and allow me to call long distance?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, simple as that!

Put a $10 voucher on your account, and add extra as needed. 

NFtoBC

Great! If I added a voucher and then texted or made a local call, does that come off my Talk and Text plan or off my voucher?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The items within the plan you purchased will be withdrawn from the plan. In this case, only lng distance would be drawn from the additional cash on your account.

NFtoBC

Lola
Rockstar

Being out of your local area shouldn't stop a long distance call from connecting, even if you don't have long distance on your calling plan, unless you don't have funds in your account to cover the extra long distance charges. Unless Telus no longer allows long distance by the minute if you don't have a plan. That would be weird, given it's a clear money-maker if the funds are there.