When can we order the 2017 Calendar ??

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

This is so disappointing, Telus. I have had a gorgeous Telus calendar on my wall, year after year, that I displayed WITH PRIDE. Always made me feel good about being a Telus customer.This was a reason why I have stayed committed to Telus. Reminded me every day of Telus superior creativity and customer appreciation. I do not want/will not use a digital calendar. 

Highlighted
Resident

That is terrible!  Although technology is becoming more prevalent in our society, there are still many people who appreciate having things at their fingertips...such as the wall calendars.  I use them for keeping track of birthdays and important appointments.  I looked forward to getting the Telus calendar each year becaue of the animals and also because the spaces were just right for making daily notes! 😞

Highlighted
Resident

Very sad to hear this, will miss the calendar Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Resident

So VERY DISAPPOINTED in Telus not doing a paper calendar anymore. Their excuse of demand declining over the years is of course a cop out seeing as they sell out so quickly. Not everyone wants or uses a digital calendar. Some of us really do still use a pen and paper to write things down!!!! Shame on Telus for not at least giving us the customers the choice of ordering one and adding the cost onto our account. 

Highlighted
Resident
Telus - please reconsider your decision. There seem to be a lot of people who really enjoyed your calendar. It was obviously a marketing success and having any kind of promotional material that people look at on a daily and appreciate seems like it would be a good use of advertising dollars. No one wants another cyber calendar - there's no replacement for a glossy calendar with stickers with great photos of real animals (please no photoshopped ones with faked facial expressions - yuck)
I'd be willing to pay a reasonable amount to offset production and shipping costs as long as the same format (with respect to size and layout) was maintained.

Sent from my iPhone
Highlighted
Resident
I've been with TELUS since 2002 (14 yrs), and this is the worst news I received from them. There's no way that there's a "decline in demand" when it comes to these calendars. Everyone loves them and I use them every year at the office. It's not the same when you ask us to pull a cheap move like that (i.e. Print it yourself...we wanna save $). We don't live in a third world country so please get your....act....together and start making your customers happy again.
Highlighted
Connector

What I don't understand is  it too expensive for Telus  printing the  Calendars ? 

Or  if it's true there is a low demand, why they can't print them just for long time customers?!

Doesn't make any sense and BTW Telus publicity is all about the critters, it's a brilliant idea

why to abandon it? And it's a way to keep your customers too

Digital is not the answer!

Highlighted
Connector

...and I don't think the question has been solved from our point of view! Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Resident

I don't believe for a minute that the demand for the calendars has declined.. it's pure cost-savings for the company and that's really a shame.  The calendars are lovely.. wonder if shaw, rogers or bell has any? lol  They were a nice perk that Telus used to provide for its valued customers.. to have it reduced to a cost-saving measure and remove them is very disappointing.  It's not like you mailed them out to every customer and many got tossed.. we had to take the time to request and order the 1 calendar we were allowed to have... so the "sustainability" response is pretty lame as well.  Bad call Telus 😞

Highlighted
Connector

I'll second that, TENGO.

Highlighted
Connector

Gee, TELUS you're doing a fantastic job of making your paying customers happy. NOT 

Highlighted
Resident

I agree that this is a mistake by Telus.  People would come into my office and look at the calendar and see the Telus name and iconic Telus animals.  A calendar on my phone or computer will not be visible to other people, so they are missing a great marketing opportunity. 

The animals (which hail from way back before Clearnet was bought by Telus) are cute and give a good feeling associated with the brand.  I cannot say the same for others like Bell and Rogers.  Marketers hope to "touch" people as many times as possible and connect that "touch" to a positive experience.  What a cheap way to do that and touch a broad spectrum of clients and potential clients on a daily basis.  The 2015 calendar also outlined other initiatives Telus  was conducting, creating cross selling of that "good" feeling.  Most of those other initiatives I only learned about from the calendar and I am a long-time Telus client!

I am sure the calendar cost less than a fraction of a single 30 second airing of a TV commercial and yet had a potential "touch" of over 365 days to a very large audience.  The delivery probably cost more than the actual calendar and originally you had to pick-up the calendar in a local Telus store.  I would have done that and what an opportunity to cross sell to your clients!

Very short-sighted Telus.  Send some of your executives to Marketing 101.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I watched football most of yesterday. Every time a Telus commercial played, I got steamed because all I could think of was the discontinuation of my beloved calendar. So for the next 365 days when I am looking at my nonTELUS 2017 wall calendar. I will be pissed. 

Highlighted
Resident

What??? I need my Telus calendar????? Not very happy!

Highlighted
Resident

that sucks that there will be no 2017 paper calendar and that's all there is too it.  come on telus print us one, there is always a demand for it

Highlighted
Resident

I think this totally sucks.  It's the one thing we look forward to each year, printing it will not be anywhere the same.  If anything the fact less people are asking for one you should be saving some cash.  Greatly disappointed !!

Resident

Discontinuation of the calendar is a huge disappointment, and a significant marketing mistake by Telus.

Highlighted
Resident

I am very disappointed by this turn of events. Getting the calendar every year is a tradtion, like many others at this holiday time. Even if we are able to print out the calendar at some point, the quality will be greatly diminished. Please reconsider for 2018!

Highlighted
Resident

NOOO! 

How can this be, I asked for extra before now and they are always already gone. Nobody needs a digital one, devices come with it.

Come on Telus, don't be so stingy

@RhoLee wrote:

Thank you to everyone for your patience and interest in the TELUS calendars. We love to hear how you have all enjoyed seeing our TELUS critters in the TELUS calendar.

In recent years, the demand for our calendars has significantly declined as more and more people embrace smartphone technology.  With a shift towards technology and our commitment to sustainability, we're excited to share we will be moving to a digital calendar this year. Our creative and digital teams have partnered to develop a digital desktop calendar image for each month of the year.

The new digital calendar will be available very soon, and you will be able to easily download and print it from TELUS.com.

Highlighted
Resident

Well, aside from the significant amount of ink / color toner to print 12 pages of high quality images from a digital calendar, the resultant quality of the calendar construction would be something I would be too embarrassed to pin up in my house.  Also, not everyone like to use digital calendars, and impractical to share event dates with family members in the house across everyone's digital calendars.

Highlighted
Connector

I don't think it is correct to list this topic as solved.  It is naïve to believe that a digital calendar in any way replaces a wall calendar. 

Based on the replies to this post (139 and counting), I would say that the majority of customers are not interested in a digital version of the Telus calendar. 

Is there anyone in the organization actually listening to us or is this just another example corporate decision making regardless of customer complaints.

Highlighted
Advisor

You forget that many users have posted more than once in this discussion. There's also millions of customers so even if 139 unique individuals commented, that's still by far nowhere near a majority.

Telus hasn't had a new critter commercial out in quite some time now. Most of the ones I've seen this past year show their employees more than any animals. The last critter they had out was the snow leopard and that campaign is a year old at least according to Telus' YouTube channel. It looks like Telus has shifted their advertising focus away from the animals and more on what is being offered instead. The one other thing to look at is from a marketing perspective, the cute animals that everyone likes so much were an advertising campaign from Clearnet, which Telus bought with way back in 2000. Telus kept that same campaign going for another 16 years. Extremely few marketing campaigns run even half that long. My guess is that people saw the cute critters but didn't see the products or services being offered. Judging by many of the comments in this discussion, that seems to be exactly what was happening with the calendars also.

The big question will be as late in the year as it is now, what do you realistically expect Telus to do? There wouldn't be time to even create, print, or distribute the calendars and that's assuming that the demand for them is sufficient enough for them to consider it. If enough people (read: a LOT) got together and say had a petition for Telus to bring back the calendar, there could be a chance they'd bring it back next year. 

Highlighted
Resident

Telus, people are disappointed with your decision. I understand that corporations are trying to cut costs in different areas in order to keep jobs. Telus decided to remove a item that people enjoyed and looked forward to every year which resulted to disappointment. If Telus is so concerned with the environment, then stop sending flyers and stop creating advertisements. Telus could have charged for the calendar rather than remove it entirely. Telus should have better decision makers in the company and based on this decision, it shows how disconnected Telus is from their customers. 

Highlighted
Resident

Extremely disappointed the 2017 calendar will be digital only.  Always looked forward to getting this item.  I don't understand how they are not as popular as each year I have tried to get 2 and was always told they are so in DEMAND that even Telus customers could only have one.

Highlighted
Connector

To mbp.  the issue isn't that only 139 people complained.  That does not, as your post implies make them not valid.  There are 36 million people in Canada and imagine what a small percentage are Telus customers.  That doesn't make all them invalid either.  For percentages, please note that you seem to be the only one out of 139 posters that seems to be against the calendars and in agreement with how Telus now spends it advertising dollars.  The main issue is that Telus has refused it's customers a second calendar and even a first one if they don't apply quickly enough - on the statement that "they are so in demand, we ran out" and are now telling these same customers that Telus are discontinuing the calendars because "there isn't enough demand for them".  A few years ago, Telus employees were having job action and their union used animals in their commercials against Telus.  Telus freaked, threatened court action etc because those animals were THEIR brand.  I guess they thought they were effective enough then.  I have seen their animal commercials until just recently and I certainly know which company they came from.  On the other hand my mind is totally blank on having seen any other ads from them, which tells you how my mind filter works on the ad bombardment we get every day.  If the commercial isn't cute, or otherwise memorable, I simple do not "see" it.

Highlighted
Resident
I don't want digital calendar I want the paper calendar for my wall
Highlighted
Resident

This obvious disregard for your customers' pleas for a paper calendar will not be forgotten. You may have an Air Miles rebellion in the making! I am truly disappointed to not have my cheery Telus calendar to look at several times a day in 2017.

Highlighted
Resident

Highlighted
Resident

So disappointed that you are not running the calendars this year. I look forward to it each and every year. Digital isn't going to cut it. Sad Customer 😞

Highlighted
Resident

Like many others , we are extremely disappointed in your decision to discontinue the annual Telus calendar issue. We have been loyal, and I do mean loyal, Telus customers for  many years now, paying what is to us, a significant dollar amount for Telus phone, Internet and Mobility services on a monthly/yearly basis, and we view this decision as a stupid penny-pinching way to remove the one "freebie" which was available as a reward for our loyalty. Shame on you and your bean-counters. Man Mad

Allan