cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New forum design bugs, missing items, and errors.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The new forum design should not have gone live until the bugs will squished. This site shouldn't have left beta at all in the state it was in. Many issues and bugs were missed.

• The front page is a horrendous mess from a design and usability perspective.
  • On Firefox, a login box keeps popping up for the server the beta forum was on (http://bhzof35755.stage.lithium.com).
  • The font sizes haven't been fixed. Can only view a small fraction of the content on the screen on the new design compared to the old one. Very poor design.
  • There are a plethora of forum images that are missing (404 errors when loading them)
  • The CPU forum is missing
  • The Neighborhood Blog is broken. ( {{blogTitle}} )
  • New design breaks old browsers still.
  • Private Messaging is now gone.
  • Fewer formatting options for text when posting.
  • Formatting issues copying/pasting text into a post.
  • And after trying to post this, unable to submit posts to some forums. (Firefox, Chrome)
  • Profile settings still default to SHOW users email, though none are showing currently, it's still checked off so there's no way to be sure that the forums won't start showing users email addresses etc when it's fully online and working.

Edit(s)

• Some broken images fixed.
  • Found site now prevents users from right clicking a link. It just acts as if a user left clicked.
  • The URLs that appear in the address bar for the Forums and the Posts inside them are broken. You can view the forums / posts by clicking the links on the screen but if entering the URL exactly as it displays (or reloading the posts), a File Not Found error appears.
  • The forum page is extremely slow to load (Firefox, Chrome) even for an responsive design. I have a responsive design on one of my sites and it loads far faster.
  • Sub note: Why is the forum.css file 283KB?! That is insanely bloated and needs to be compressed down. The entire box of javascript files and CSS files is over 2MB!!! Downloading that much when the page loads is going to slow it down and it's also insane. One javascript file alone is 785kb (http://forum.telus.com/lib/angular.js?version=1416880975960)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
6 REPLIES 6

ScottyJ
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Indeed, the go live happened a little sooner than intended. We're catching up on getting your list (and several more things) addressed. Stay tuned 🙂

ScottyJ

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'm going to wait a few days before adding any great number of comments, but I agree with @Nighthawk that the fonts could be smaller, there are lots of broken links, and I, too miss the ability to PM members.

NFtoBC

Note: On editing a post, the HTML from the original shows, and the additional editing functions are missing. The former will be frustrating to many users, and the latter to us seasoned folk!
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

ScottyJ
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Hey guys, I totally hear you both. We're taking an iterative approach, so there are still plenty of changes coming.

re: font size, I don't disagree data density on desktop is bit sparse. It's balance between form and function, with consistency in brand standard with telus.com. It looks pretty sweet on mobile, though.

re: messaging, it's coming back. Don't worry, all us power users miss it in the interim.

re: broken links, still working through them.

re: editing, many I'm tired now, can you clarify what you mean?

ScottyJ

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

re: editing, many I'm tired now, can you clarify what you mean?

@ScottyJhope you're well rested!

When first adding a comment, the text window provides the options to Bold, add unordered and ordered lists, quote, link and add image. These are represented as icons above the text entry area. If editing a post previously submitted, the HTML shows and the icons listed above do not appear.

NFtoBC

ScottyJ
Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Okay @NFtoBC Thanks, that makes total sense. I see that now. Consider a ticket opened! 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

emails notifying one of @ Mentions link to and take one to the old format with a Lithium.com URL

Could not submit reply in Neighbourhood blog forum

NFtoBC