cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help requested regarding someone using my email address on their TELUS account.

Throwaway2020
Neighbour

Hi, a question for anyone that might be able to help.

Someone has created a TELUS account using my email address, and I'm getting increasing annoyed by this as there seems to be no way in which to resolve the problem.

The email seems to be tied to this customer's services despite that I have never verified it, and Telus appear to be simply refusing to contact the customer and get their correct email address put onto their account.

I literally have visibility of their personal details including home address and services they have taken via the various emails regarding installations and billing etc.

I have tried what I consider to be more than reasonable steps to get this resolved via:

- Live chat (no one staffing it, lol)

- Using the escalation email address:  the respondent seemed to deliberately misinterpret my very clearly worded problem, wanted me to call them, and did not respond to my follow up communication.

- Having a friend / business partner in Canada physically go into a TELUS store with documentation around the information I have received and that it needs to be fixed (he was basically told to go away and that they would not do anything about it).

1. I am not Canadian, not in Canada, not even in North America. There's no scenario in which I should have to make an international call at my time and expense to try to get this sorted out. 

2. I shouldn't have to contact their customer directly and have it out with them over their inability to use their actual email address. This would be a failure of TELUS's responsibility to their customer and data protection.

3. Canada's data protection laws and governance appear to be literally nil, making filing a complaint with an appropriate industry commission difficult to navigate.

Any advice on how to resolve this problem would be appreciated as my next step is likely look into legislation regarding identity fraud or possibly harassment, which seems like hard work more than the issue is worth, and based around technicalities, but I am determined to bring this problem in my inbox to a conclusion one way or another.

Some feedback: You should never be using an email address on a customer's account for any sort of communication unless someone has clicked the verification link. Doing as you are is quite frankly awful practice and would be considered to be a data breach and incur fines in most first world countries.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
7 REPLIES 7

xray
Hero

I use the online chat almost exclusively to contact Telus. Sometimes there's a wait, sometimes it's quick. I may not be available 24/7 but I've used it in the evening many times. What time zone are you in? Perhaps try it again when it's between 9 AM and 9 PM Eastern Standard Time.

I have a similar issue with one of my non-Telus email addresses. I get signed up all the time for various sites and get confirmation emails. I usually go to those sites and use the "forgot my password" function to change the password and lockout whoever is doing it. Then when they try to sign up again using my email address the site says that username is already taken. I suspect that email address is 1 letter off or has some letters transposed from the one they want to use.

I use the online chat almost exclusively to contact Telus. Sometimes there's a wait, sometimes it's quick. I may not be available 24/7 but I've used it in the evening many times.

Basically tells me that it's disabled due to coronavirus whenever I click it. Doesnt matter what time of day I go for.

What time zone are you in? Perhaps try it again when it's between 9 AM and 9 PM Eastern Standard Time.

GMT (UK time)

I have a similar issue with one of my non-Telus email addresses. I get signed up all the time for various sites and get confirmation emails. I usually go to those sites and use the "forgot my password" function to change the password and lockout whoever is doing it

Doesn't work possibly as I refuse to verify the email in the first place. If I could cancel the guys account from within the account area then I might go for it due to being that irritated with this situation.

Are you sure the emails you are gettng are from Telus? Can you post the reply to email address (use spaces around the @ or it won't post here).

Take your pick, I've had various email over the past 3 weeks from setup to repair, my wasted time attempting to contact customer service and spam information and advertising:

DoNotReply @ telus.com
telus @ email.telus.com
TELUS_Team @ telusfeedback.com
telusservice @ i.telus.com
CustomerSupport @ telus.com
telus @ email.telus.com
telusservice @ info.telus.com
telusbilling @ info.telus.com
DoNotReply_CN @ telus.com

I have never received an email from Telus with my address or account number shown.

Example email with address (I've redacted identifiable details)

https://imgur.com/hywOcvo

Example attachments I have been sent regarding service agreement/account being opened with address and account number (and phone number).

https://imgur.com/TVTSO29

https://imgur.com/XZldLHX

Remember that this is without me ever having verified the email address.

You are right, I had to dig way back in emails to find an appointment email with my address.

I suspect the account holder didn't register for online access and does everything over the phone or in person. Verification of email is only done when you register an online account. They probably get paper statements in the mail as well. My guess is the account holder is a senior who made an honest mistake when providing their email address which they probably rarely use.

I've used online chat to contact Telus 3 times in the last 3 months. I've never seen that COVID message. Go here and click on the Chat prompt at the bottom right of the page. Select Home and then Yes, I am a Home Services customer. Answer any of the bot questions with "I need to speak to a person". I just tried it.

Thanks, this worked, and has now finally been resolved!

Some notes for anyone trying to accomplish something similar in the future:

I couldn't find the assist feature at first, ad-blockers disable it, so you will need to turn them off temporarily and reload the page.

In case anyone else is struggling with live chat:

The chat function that doesn't work for me (checked again just now and it's broken regardless of ad-blocker) is on the following page: https://www.telus.com/en/support/contact-us/escalations?INTCMP=Tcom_contactus_expedite

The name entry field is basically disabled which won't allow it to be completed and the chat to be progressed.

Glad you got it sorted out.

I'm not sure whether ad-blockers disable Chat or not, mine doesn't but it may depend on which ad-blocker you use.

For sure you need to allow pop-ups for the site in the Browser settings to be able to see the Chat window.

xray
Hero

Are you sure the emails you are gettng are from Telus? Can you post the reply to email address (use spaces around the @ or it won't post here).

I have never received an email from Telus with my address or account number shown.