cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current plans for Optik tv fibre laying

george
Friendly Neighbour

I live in an apartment in Victoria, at the foot of Quadra Street, within 2 blocks of hotels and condos and 3 blocks from the parliament buildings. 4 years ago I began investing in flat screens and a major 7.1 sound system, all after the Telus announcement about the Optik launch. A few months ago, my PVR unit failed and Telus addressed that quickly. I was told that the plans to bring the service to my street were 'definitely' in the works. Telus gave me loyalty credits because I had but 1 stream, making even the recording of one HD channel and the watching of another impossible. 

Nevertheless, I appreciated their efforts to keep me happy and said so. Now they have cancelled those 'loyalty credits' and I am, after being with Telus for 13 years plus, wondering why I should not cancel my loyalty to them?

Problem, of course, is that I have already had to turn over my  internet connection to Shaw because Telus cannot supply sufficient bandwidth to feed my Linux server.

Since I do not watch commercial TV on a regular basis (I have zero tolerance for commercials and network promos which consume 20 minutes of every hour, usually insulting my intelligence in the process) my viewing is usually limited to PBS and HBO. That is running $90 for a land line and the opportunity to watch the News Hour and HBO specials. That simply cannot be justified.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Truly understand where you are coming from. I can see where this would be hard to offer on TELUS side  being a residential account, Static IP's are not available 😞 

TELUS does offer them, just not with residential accounts though. Business account needed for static IP's. 

Your situation is not common, and does require something not yet offered under the residential umbrella. 

That being said, our people in the L&R group can offer what others cannot. Unsure what can be done in this instance, but worth a try to save money. I still suggest you contact L&R. If any one can help, that group can. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

GoldenEagle
Coach

With out having specifics, this is impossible to advise on. I agree this would be frustrating to deal with. My suggestion would be to speak to TELUS L&R group and have this checked in to and worked on. If options to upgrade are available, they will do all in their power to to do so. If they cannot, this is the one group that can work on pricing. 

1-888-811-2323

Mon-Fri 7:30 AM to 9 PM MST

Saturdays and Sundays 8 AM to 6 PM MST

george
Friendly Neighbour

Nice to hear from someone on this. Been awhile!

Assuming you are connected with Telus in some capacity:

The L&R group you mention is what I know of as the 'Retention' Group, no? If so, they are really aware of this situation and my long history with Telus. They were the ones who provided me with a rebate on the 'OPTIK' service which they then arbitrarily and without notice cancelled  last year. Originally some attempt was made to provide me with at least the one HD channel. I say that because even to this day my address is shown as one where OPTIK service is not (yet) available.  When a tech was last here (to replace the dvr) he volunteered the info that he 'knew' the required fibre optic feed had been scheduled and would be coming 'soon'.

So the obvious question you might well ask is, "Why don't you just switch to Shaw?"

Well, because I already have Shaw as well as Telus, the latter for TV and the former for the internet, whereas for years Telus provided me with both, including a static IP. But Telus no longer wished to provide me with a static IP, without which a real server is useless. No reason for this decision, of course, and it created some work to switch things over.

Since Shaw both upcharge me because I require a static IP, and charge for that IP as well, it is kind of obvious that there is an oligopoly at play here and there is no effective competition. If I were a kid streaming endless gigabytes of dense data, I'd happily be paying far less for far more with either of the only 2 providers.

Meantime Shaw attempt every month to 'save me money' by converting my residential Telus 'phone'  to their Business phone, while Telus wants me to sign up for 3 years and get a tablet or flat screen or whatever. Sign up for what, I wonder?

I'm not a business and I don't understand how spending $13 MORE for a land line is saving me money. Apparently  simply having a static IP entitles me to this rich privilege. I have been retired for 15 years, for goodness' sake. And I feel perfectly entitled to complain about having to spend $180 across 2 providers for the most basic of services.

I can be pretty reasonable, but after almost 5 years of this nonsense, I make no claim to any patience. I am not going to pay for another dvr were I to switch to Shaw. Nor can I bundle with them because my static IP makes me a big corporation, it seems. Frankly, it would be wonderful to be rid of BOTH Shaw and Telus.

So I just do what consumers do  these days. Pay money, never question it, never complain, and always treat all explanations as simple lies. It would be truly refreshing, for example, if Telus would simply say, " We are not going to provide full service to you, PERIOD, and I will govern myself accordingly.

And that is why I feel that my loyalty has proven to be misguided.

George

Truly understand where you are coming from. I can see where this would be hard to offer on TELUS side  being a residential account, Static IP's are not available 😞 

TELUS does offer them, just not with residential accounts though. Business account needed for static IP's. 

Your situation is not common, and does require something not yet offered under the residential umbrella. 

That being said, our people in the L&R group can offer what others cannot. Unsure what can be done in this instance, but worth a try to save money. I still suggest you contact L&R. If any one can help, that group can. 

george
Friendly Neighbour

While I do appreciate your attempt to respond in a helpful way, the reality of all this is that there is no bandwidth for the internet as well as the single optik tv channel.

Even if there were, I would not be able to use my Linux Server and not just because of the need for a static IP but also because Telus insists on using its own email server which I want no part of. I've been using my own servers for teaching and development in the Open Software environment for the past 15 years, and that includes running my own Sendmail services which are continually updated and are entirely free, as are the contributions I have made over the years. In time, I will probably move everything out of Canada as most of my peers have already done after encountering the same petty greed concerns by both the local providers.

Common sense is truly a lost cause.

I think that in todays age of technology and advancement, we have totally lost contact with what people want. I read the issue from the frustrated client and the reply by the Telus moderator. I recently (and quite often) come up with this same customer service issue within the company I work for. Recently I made a request to get certain answers and the reply was that I was given that person's name, although the person I was directed to was not going to be the one to resolve my issue, but really what should have been done was the person who answered my querry should have put an effort in and given me the exact persons name who could solve my issue by forwarding my e-mail to them and doing an introduction. Thus I would be connected to the correct person instead of trying to talk to someone who might know someone who may be the wrong someone... it goes on. It has been 2 weeks and I have no answers. Now, I spent 9 years in retail between stocking shelves and management. Not one time in 9 years did a customer ask me a question that I did not answer. Not one time in 9 years did a customer ask me where the location of an item was that I did not take them to that item. Customer service! The moderator should be investigating what the L&R department can do and then personnaly connect the customer and the L&R department... this is customer service. Why is the customer being redirected and have to do all the leg work... that is what the customere service representative if for! In short, I believe that the moderator needs to contact the L&R department and then connect the customer with an introduction to the L&R department. Customer service does not exist anymmore.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Jimmyrock24 , Have you ever worked for a large multi-national corporation that has clear divisions of labour and what each area is able to do with specific limits and a ton of red tape? Retail is something very different and customer service comes in many shapes and sizes. 

You'll find that the forums here are completely isolated from anything account related. From security standpoint, they have to be. You'll also find that you'll never get a direct email for someone in L&R for any company for the simple fact it means that disgruntled customers have one specific point to aim all their abuse at. The moderators here cannot verify the true identity of anyone on the forums and from a security standpoint, calling in is the best method. It's also incredibly easy to call and get to L&R quickly and directly. L&R doesn't do anything over the web, and in terms of what they can and cannot do, it all very specifically depends on the situation the customer is in. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

george
Friendly Neighbour

I have to say I am impressed with your stand regarding customer service and the experience you have had in providing it.

There are endless excuses for lack of customer service. (Ever followed "The Haggler" in the New York Times?)  Ironic is it not that a telephone company prefers NOT to contact customers by phone?

Mention is made elsewhere in this thread about contacting L&R by phone. If you want to waste hours of your time, just try to do that. By the way, L&R stands for 'Loyalty and Retention'.  Once upon a time they did respond and they did do something in my case. They gave me a $20 monthly credit because I was only able to receive the one 'hd' channel and it was, and still is, impossible to watch one hd channel while recording another. Then that credit was removed without notice and I am supposed to just accept inferior service at maximum tariff like a good little boy!

Yes, I know that nobody at Telus really reads anything posted here. But a customer-oriented business, having set up this site, would also have had it monitored quietly as a way of learning what users are unhappy with. Imagine how happily surprised this customer would have been to hear from Telus, unsolicited, about a posting.  That would have changed my attitude to a considerable degree. After all, what I asked for originally was when they were going to provide the service they are charging me for. They know that. You don't lay fibre optic cable under sidewalks without some preliminary scheduling.

So the physical install date has been known for some time, perhaps even years. They won't share that information, content to suck on my cash position until my patience with them terminates.

So be it!

@george wrote:

Yes, I know that nobody at Telus really reads anything posted here. But a customer-oriented business, having set up this site, would also have had it monitored quietly as a way of learning what users are unhappy with. Imagine how happily surprised this customer would have been to hear from Telus, unsolicited, about a posting.  That would have changed my attitude to a considerable degree.

Telus does quietly monitor social media, including this forum of theirs.

Very rare for them to come out on here and respond with an invite to correct what they would call a minor issue. Something major and they may pop in for resolution. The Telus Twitter squad seems to be the go-to crew for resolving in some way, with private DM's(direct messaging). Same part of the Telus social media team with ability to forward customers on down the chain of resolutions.

https://twitter.com/TELUSsupport/with_replies

Your first post states that your Internet is now with Shaw.  

Optik service should not of been authenticated with only one stream. Or do you have 1Hd with 1SD? Which includes trouble providing 2 streams concurrently?  That is still poor and could mean that you maybe on Adsl 15 that has no overhead, resulting in problems with your HD stream taking 4Mbps from a Internet speed.

If the Dslam port is also unstable for speed(line noise or failing port) your TV stream will be degraded. If the internal wiring in your building is bad(picks up electrical noise), Optik problems.

When Telus needs access to a multi-unit building for fibre install, negotiations may be needed with management/owners to gain access to the building chases. If the building Council ignores/hides the Telus letter of intent to install fibre, Council needs to be made accountable in a court of law for denying residents communication choices.    Eastern Canada, Rogers and Bell will purchase exclusive rights to a building and deny Canadian Charter of Rights protected communications choices. 

Telus Reps will state that they can't contact Telus engineering directly and takes a long time for a reply, resulting in no try or being forgotten.

There are other easy ways to get TV content online for the people who have only a couple of shows they watch and can't afford $90 a month for it. Thats the end result of TV signal providers not allowing Ala-carte, which would result in cutting that cost down to $30 a month, even with specialty networks.

PBS videos

http://video.pbs.org/

Knowledge Network videos

https://www.knowledge.ca/programs/watch-now

More Newscasts are providing a live stream during TV broadcast time. Even caching them for watching at leisure.

george
Friendly Neighbour

Don't quite know where or how you acquired the "nasty" login name, but I haven't detected that in your several responses, and this last response shows a lot of thought (and therefore) time. Both are much appreciated. Please believe me about that!

Some 4/5 years ago we looked into the possible difficulty in gaining building access when Optik was first announced. This building is privately owned, has a resident manager with whom I have a great relationship, and is managed by Quadra Pacific. At that time it had been ascertained  that no request had been received for further access from Telus.  I've always been of the opinion that Academy Close - the street - itself lacks the fibre optic run, and hence the building, but "nobody knows from nothing". Probably a state secret by this time!

I'm historically aware of the DSL connectivity. That goes back to our initial internet static IP service in Vancouver. When the TV service was "upgraded" to Optik I was forced to transfer the internet to Shaw because there would be insufficient bandwidth for Telus to provide both tv and internet at other than a crawl. In hindsight, I should have called it quits at that point and buried a decades long relationship with BCTel/Telus.

The reason I get great audio/video is that signals are fed through a high-end Onkyo which upgrades the incoming hdmi signal from 720p to 1080p thanks to the latest conversion chips. Given my keen preference for great audio as well, you can appreciate why I am not willing to accept standards of some 15 years ago or more. That will also explain why I have little time for youtube, not to mention facebook and twitter.

When I am not working in program development, I use my server mainly for secure processing of emails and for updates from the New York Times, of which I am a paid subscriber for both the print and digital versions.

As for the dollar cost, I presently pay $93 to Shaw and $80 to Telus. It is my choice to run a server and my choice to run Sendmail. Both are administered by me and actually reduce Shaw's costs of providing their service.  My bandwidth requirement is substantially far below that of folks who can use a dynamic Ip to download gigabytes of graphic files, but I have the great privilege of paying mor for less. Again, I appreciate your efforts but it looks like my best bet is to dump Telus. I can't dump Shaw, of course. And by the way, Shaw penalize me in both tariff and speed, just as Telus would want to do. But at least they provide!!! Just one further indicator that the root of the problem is the inability of Telus to provide a competitive service after more than 4 years of this. I'll await the position statement from Ottawa due this month and then lower the boom.

Regards,

"George"

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Toyota, Honda nor Nissan build a pickup truck which can tow my trailer. I could rail against those manufacturers and ask why they won't build a truck that can do the job I ask of it, or I can go to the Chevy, Ford or Dodge dealer and buy a truck to meet my needs. I could also choose a completely different option and rent a motorhome for vacations, or travel by hotel. At some point, it makes most sense to decide what works for you and move to that choice. No provider of services should expect loyalty for products they don't provide. So even if I'm a long time Toyota customer, they would no longer expect my business once I'm looking to purchase a one ton, and I would not waste my time or theirs by entering their sales floor.

Shaw clearly has a bigger pipe coming into your home than does Telus. If you want to move more data by having TV and Internet, then by all means, choose the service which meets your needs. No business can fault you for choosing to move to a provider of a service they don't offer.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

george
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for taking the trouble to rationalize the elus position.

I hope this does not come across as being condescending in my reply, but I am well aware of 'bottom line' economics as well as perverted psychology, aka marketing. If I were in my late teens, I might well have possibly have learned something from your reply, but those years are half a century behind me now.

This thread has lost its way now, and i am sure my responses have helped with that.

Note the thread title: "Current plans for Optik tv fibre laying".

Nobody knows. Actually, nobody cares.

My frustration originates upon my happy acceptance of Telus' "upgrade" to their Optik service 4 years ago and counting. Even 'though I had to temporarily transfer my server connectivity to Shaw, effectively  doubling my total communications costs, I was willing to do this on the basis of my long history with Telus, and because I was ready to install a full-fledged AV system. I did that, but here we are years later still paying for a product never received.

Why not simply switch everything to Shaw?

Easy. Because of that need for a static IP for my server, Shaw not only charge 'business' rates, but they 'cannot'  bundle my tv because that, you know, is against their policy.  Matter of fact, they have been trying for the past 2 years to convince me to 'save money' by switching my telephone service to them. That, of course, effectively doubles the cost of the telephone line which Telus happily provides me as a simpe human being.

Enough already.

George