Mobility

Trusted answers and information and Mobility devices, services, and solutions from Neighbourhood contributors and the TELUS team.

Transferring Your Number (Porting) to TELUS

TELUS Employee
  • Contributors:

Remember the “old days” when changing your cellphone provider also meant changing your phone number? What a pain it was to call, message or email your entire contact list to update them about your new number. Worse yet, what if some of them didn’t get the memo?

Times have changed and you can keep your number when you transfer your number (port) over to TELUS. Here’s how:

First, make sure your number is in an active status with your current provider (it cannot be cancelled or suspended) or the transfer will not be successful.

Next, you will need to gather the following information from your current provider:

• Your account number.
    or
  • The PIN (Personal identification Number) used to secure your account.
    or
  • The IMEI from your current device (You can find your IMEI on the back of the phone by removing the battery or better yet, just dial *#06# and your IMEI will display!).

(Note: You only need one of the three pieces of information, not all three).

Once the Port is initiated, it will take anywhere from 30 minutes to 2.5 hours for the transfer to be completed. Important: While the transfer is in progress, you will experience mixed services, (i.e.: You will only be able to make outgoing calls and text messages on the TELUS network). Don’t be alarmed!  It’s a normal part of the transfer process.

Shortly after the port is completed, you will receive the following notification via text message:

“From TELUS: Your transfer request has been completed successfully. Welcome to TELUS and thank you for joining us!”

Finally, to make sure that your phone is ready for use, we recommend a quick power cycle (power off and power back on) and voila! Your TELUS phone should be fully operational with your new number!

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
Community Power User
Community Power User

@ElNuncio

Any info on porting a landline number to a Cellular account?

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

This article primarily explains the wireless to wireless transfer process (i.e.: Transferring from a wireless provider to TELUS Mobility), but stay tuned for the next article on transferring a landline number to TELUS Mobility!

Vincena
Just Moved In

How Do I Transfer My Number From Telus And Keep My Existing Phone?  I Just Went To Mts And Was Told That My Account Had Already Been Transferred. I Was Told That I Could Transfer Back After 3 Months, That Is Was A Done Deal. I Just Wanted To Upgrade My Phone As I Am Near The End Of My Contract Term On My Existing Phone. <Link removed by Moderator>

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi Vincena,

Hope you are well.

If you are an MTS customer who is transferring your number to TELUS, you should have received a TELUS Welcome Package, including:

• A new purple TELUS SIM
  • An unlock code for your MTS device so you can use it on the TELUS network
  • A number to reach your dedicated TELUS personal representative

You can then complete your migration to TELUS by either visiting the nearest TELUS store or by calling the number provided in the welcome package.

However, if you would like to upgrade existing phone, you can visit the nearest TELUS store or contact our dedicated sales team at 1-866-379-1964 to upgrade to one of our latest devices.

If you have any other questions, you can always  dial *611 from your cell phone (or call our toll free number at 1-866-558-2273) to speak to our customer service department, who will be more than happy to assist you with any requests.

Hope this helps!

Sumit
Just Moved In

Hi

I am porting from Fido to Telus and want to keep the same number. My number is from Toronto and currently I m in Saskatchewan. Please confirm whether I can port the same no. if possible. My number starts from 647

Thanks

@Sumit - We're looking forward to having you! How long will you be living out-of-province for?

TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hello @Sumit,

Because the vast majority of wireless phone numbers are transferable, it shouldn’t be an issue and we would love to have you as a customer! But just to be on the safe side, if you can either provide us the full number or call us at 1-866-558-2273, we will confirm that your number can be transferred to TELUS.

Hope this helps!