Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0% helpful (0/1)
A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

The Optik TV app is getting an upgrade!

TELUS-TV+-Blog-Header.jpg

At TELUS, we're constantly innovating to provide you with the best entertainment experience. We're thrilled to announce that starting October 26, 2022, we will be updating the Optik TV app and browser experience over the next few weeks in which a number of exciting new features will be launching! As part of the upgrade, we will also change the name to the TELUS TV+ app. To enjoy the upgraded experience, please update your app and browser bookmarks today.

What's new

1. An updated TELUS TV+ browser experience with a modernized user interface and keyboard controls.

2. Enjoy even more of your favourite HD channels, now available through the TELUS TV+ app.¹

What's new for Apple iOS

1. With the TELUS TV+ app, turn almost any screen into a TV screen with Apple Airplay so you can watch the big game on the big screen.

2. Picture in picture allows you to minimize your main viewing screen and open other apps in the background.

What's staying the same

Continue enjoying all of your Optik TV favourites on the new TELUS TV+ app for iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV with the same look and feel as the current Optik TV app.

What to expect

1. The first time you access the new app or browser experience, you will need to log in with your My TELUS credentials. Forgot your username or password? You can reset it at www.telus.com/mytelus.

2. As we upgrade your experience, there are certain app settings that will not be transferred between the Optik TV app and the new TELUS TV+ app. These include favourites, bookmarks (your viewing history and resume feed), closed captioning, and described video. For the full list of impacted settings check out https://www.telus.com/optiktvupgrade. Once you have the new TELUS TV+ app, don't forget to reset your preferences and settings.

Upgrading your TELUS TV+ app

To ensure your Optik TV app is automatically updated to the new TELUS TV+ app experience, please ensure automatic app updates are enabled on your device and simply log in with your My TELUS credentials. To learn more about keeping your app up-to-date, please visit the support article here.

Upgrading your TELUS TV+ web browser

We will also be upgrading the Optik TV browser with our new TELUS TV+ experience at telustvplus.com

If you have bookmarked the old Optik TV browser site, don't forget to update your bookmarks. For more information, visit our Optik TV app upgrade support page here.

Home.jpg

Have a question about Optik TV or Pik TV and can't find the answer? Ask our community here at the TELUS Neighbourhood

We hope you enjoy the new TELUS TV+ experience!

1  Please note that due to content provider restrictions, not all channels are available when you are away from your TELUS home internet connection.

TELUS, the TELUS logo, Optik TV, Pik TV, telus.com and the future is friendly are trademarks of TELUS Corporation, used under license.

© 2022 TELUS. All rights reserved.

Was this article helpful? Yes No
Comments
BigBen121
Advocate

The article mentions that the app would be upgraded starting October 26th . I have not seen anything yet. When will it actually be available?

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @BigBen121 

We're rolling out the updates gradually, starting with the browser, which is available now at telustvplus.com. Updates to Android mobile, iOS and tvOS will be available over the coming weeks.

BigBen121
Advocate

Thanks that is helpful

Gramps
Just Moved In

You mentioned what's new with iOS systems but no mention of android improvement. Seems a bit biased.

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Gramps Hey, as @KHR mentioned just two posts above yours, "Updates to Android mobile, iOS and tvOS will be available over the coming weeks." Thanks.

Gramps
Just Moved In
Taken from the tweet:
" What's new for Apple iOS

1. With the TELUS TV+ app, turn almost any screen into a TV screen with Apple Airplay so you can watch the big game on the big screen.

2. Picture in picture allows you to minimize your main viewing screen and open other apps in the background."

As I stated in my comment that's the iOS info given yet there's no info given regarding the android update. What part of my comment did you not understand?

A-B
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Gramps That's not from a tweet, it appears to be taken directly from this article above. The reason there's no info regarding the Android update, is that it's not released yet (as @KHR mentioned above). There'll be info about the Android update when it's released. Thanks!

gnoble
Friendly Neighbour

My subscribed channels are showing as not subscribed to on the new web browser. The channels are available on my mobile phone app and on my optic tv box, just showing as not subscribed on the new web browser, worked on the previous web version.

Have tried various browsers, none work.  Have also tried on a PC and a laptop, neither work. 

Called customer support, no help provided. 

Any suggestions or solutions?

Optik-Kate
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @gnoble, this sounds like an account synchronization issue that may need an agent to resolve. I know you've already called customer support, have you also tried the chat function at telus.com/tvsupport? The happy face icon in the bottom left hand corner of your screen.

xray
Hero

I just installed the update to the Telus TV+ on Android. Logged in and can view the guide but I can't view any programs in any channel. I just get a black screen. I tap on the screen and get a progress bar at the bottom that doesn't move and a cancel X at the top right. That's it.

The previous app worked just fine. Tried uninstall/reinstall but it was the same.

xray
Hero

I tried on an Android tablet and managed to get it to work on some channels (1xx, 3xx, 7xx). Channel 900, 901, 903, 904 consistently crashes the app. Oddly 91x seems to work. Testing is tedious as I have to restart the app each time it crashes.

cafekief
Ambassador

how do i make an account?? =(

Optik-Kate
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @xray , thank you for flagging. On my end, I can view live and on demand with no issues with a Samsung phone. I will pass the information on to our development team as it looks like you are on OnePlus. 

codenvibe
Just Moved In

The website is updated. No updates to my tvOS app or iOS app. Haven’t been able to log in on either the “PikTV” or “OptikTV” tvOS apps for months. So hoping this fixes that. Frustrating to promise a date and be disappointed when it’s not updated yet.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @codenvibe 

We are gradually updating the platforms one-by-one. It started on October 26th with our browser client at telustvplus.com and we updated our Android mobile app in early November. The iOS and tvOS updates are up next but have been delayed into early in the New Year so as to not disrupt your TV viewing experience during the FIFA World Cup and the holiday season; stay tuned for details, or turn on automatic updates on your device.

Sorry you haven't been able to log in on any of your devices for months! If you're still experiencing issues, I'd recommend uninstalling and reinstalling the app for the service that you're subscribed to (i.e. if you're an Optik subscriber - use the Optik app for iOS or tvOS). You may want to disable Apple's Zero Sign On with TV Provider (under TV Provider) in your device's settings. Doing this has resolved a number of login issues for customers. You should also validate that your login credentials work on telus.com/mytelus; you may have an incorrect username or password cached or in your keychain. While some customers have had success using the Pik TV app to access their Optik TV subscription and vice versa, this is not recommended as not all features and account subscription details will translate properly.

SATAN
Just Moved In

Hi, is there any fix for this broken app yet? Video is stuttering for a few seconds and then switches back and forth every few seconds to a dark, negative scrambled sort of screen, then back to normal for a second, then black again and so forth. Completely Unwatchable on my Motto G6 Plus. 

Works fine on my wife's Samsung but that's no good to me.  The old app worked perfectly for me for years but now it's broken, why would you change this right when the World Cup is on?? And when will it be fixed? The only "solution" I have been given is to uninstall, reboot and reinstall but that's completely useless. Thanks

glene1
Organizer

When will Telus move to a cloud based PVR? Being able to record shows is basic. Being able to watch those shows while away from home is normal (if you are a Shaw subscriber)

BigBen121
Advocate

Totally agree and with the loss of Slingbox it would be great to see a cloud option

Optik-Kate
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @SATAN, you may want to reach out to our virtual support chat (smiley box on the bottom right at https://www.telus.com/en/support) or one of our social media outlets. Once you private message them your account info and concern, they can look into your account's backend settings and reprovision if necessary.

SATAN
Just Moved In

Hi @Optik-Kate I have over a week ago. Supposedly they're looking into it but I have no idea if anything's been done, the "new and improved" app is still useless after the update sadly

TR7
Friendly Neighbour

where sre my recordings on telustvplus?

glene1
Organizer
Telus is still in the dark ages.

Glen
780 264 4033
Sent from my Samsung A32
SATAN
Just Moved In

Update: New Years Eve and the app is still broken after being forced to "upgrade" to a new version.  Missed every single World Cup game thanks a bunch.  Haven't heard anything back from support either. Either they don't care or they still can't figure out how they screwed up what was a perfectly fine working app. 

glene1
Organizer
Classic Telus.

Glen
780 264 4033
Sent from my Samsung A32
gnoble
Friendly Neighbour

If you haven’t already.

Call tech support…. Wait on hold for at least an hour…. When you finally talk to someone, tell them that your account needs to be re-synced. They will put you on hold , then transfer you to someone that knows what to do.

Worked for me after the third call to tech support.

Good luck!

codenvibe
Just Moved In

@A-B @KHR @Optik-Kate

any update on when the iOS and tvOS apps will be updated? Been waiting since the World Cup is over as you had suggested the release would be delayed until after the event. 

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @codenvibe 

Our iOS and tvOS apps are just going through some last rounds of testing and bug-fixing prior to their release. We should have news to share shortly. Thanks for your patience! 

codenvibe
Just Moved In

@KHR really excited the new apps are finally out. I still have an issue logging into my TELUS account on the tvOS app. When I enter my credentials and submit, the Login button becomes a spinner and just spins forever

codenvibe
Just Moved In

@KHR I get this error after logging out or TELUS account on the Provider settings. Then opening the app and promoting my to sign in TELUS as a provider again

A723E7F1-8B48-49F6-8512-1DA9CDF07C54.jpeg

codenvibe
Just Moved In

@KHR same for iOS App. Please help

D6B246E7-A926-4821-B157-2240265C6DB2.jpeg

Optik-Kate
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @codenvibe, I know you've been anticipating the iOS and TVOS update. But I think there is a backend syncing issue with your account prior to the update, we're sorry that you are still unable to log in after the update. Please DM TELUS Twitter Support or ask for an agent via the chat box (bottom right), they should be able to review your account and perform a resync, or help troubleshoot in other ways. 

viperdiablo1
Advisor

Updated the iOS app and tvOS . I like the ability to pause is there. I thought with this update we were suppose to be able to watch recorded shows on the go? It still tells me recorded shows can only be watched on a telus digital box.

Is this feature not coming out now or has it just been delayed?

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @viperdiablo1 

The ability to watch recorded shows on the go wasn't planned to be part of this update, and it shouldn't have been communicated. The article above, the emails and support articles don't reference it, so I'm not sure where that information came from.

Our current Optik TV solution has a locally stored harddrive PVR in your home, complicating making recordings available on the go. We are looking at possible solutions to this, but nothing to share at this point. 

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @codenvibe 

If you disable the TV Provider setting in iOS or tvOS and log in manually with your My TELUS username and password, does this work to log you in? There may be synchronization issues with Apple's Zero Sign On (In iOS, it's under Settings, TV Provider and then make sure TELUS is unchecked).

Alternatively, if disabling TV Provider login fails on Apple, does your login work on telustvplus.com? If this fails, it may be credential related or account related.

Finally, if both of these fail, does logging into telus.com/mytelus work? If this works, you may have a TV account issue that needs troubleshooting. If it doesn't work, you may have to reset your username or password. There should be a link on this page.

glene1
Organizer
A possible solution would be to do what Shaw did and use cloud storage.

Glen
780 264 4033
Sent from my Samsung A32
codenvibe
Just Moved In

If you disable the TV Provider setting in iOS or tvOS and log in manually with your My TELUS username and password, does this work to log you in? There may be synchronization issues with Apple's Zero Sign On (In iOS, it's under Settings, TV Provider and then make sure TELUS is unchecked).

When I disable/avoid TV Provider login, and have to enter My TELUS username/password

• on tvOS, the Login button just becomes a spinner and spins forever :cyclone:
  • on iOS, it will login successfully. I notice the logged in session using this method doesn’t last very long though. The next day, I’ll have to login again. 😓

Alternatively, if disabling TV Provider login fails on Apple, does your login work on telustvplus.com? If this fails, it may be credential related or account related.

When I log into telustvplus.com directly, it signs in successfully.

Finally, if both of these fail, does logging into telus.com/mytelus work? If this works, you may have a TV account issue that needs troubleshooting. If it doesn't work, you may have to reset your username or password. There should be a link on this page.

I can log into telus.com/mytelus successfully as well.

@KHR thanks for your ideas. Let me know if my responses help narrow down anything.

viperdiablo1
Advisor

@KHR 

Thanks for the reply. I got the info about watching recordings on the go from the how to tutorial for android mobile telus tv+

It states 

“You can also Sort and Filter

the views of existing and scheduled recordings. If you have the Recordings bundle included as part of your Optik TV combo, you can also initiate playback of your recorded programs from the

Recorded tab.”

One would assume this feature was meant to happen?

thanks

thalakar
Organizer

Will be getting telus soon.  Can I control the TV with the app on my phone or do I need to load it on my android box or the telus box?

Are you able to integrate the telus app into a smart TV? I guess not lol

Optik-Kate
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @thalakar, airplay is available for iOS devices and TTV+ app is available for certain Smart TVs. See full list here. (Click into Android TV to see supported Smart TVs)

thalakar
Organizer

Yeahj I have Tizen with Samsung so I guess not for now.

codenvibe
Just Moved In

@Optik-Kate Not sure what happened to the tvOS app. But it started crashing at launch on the logo loading screen. Not sure if related to latest tvOS 17.2 upgrade. Very disappointing, was working great for months.

KHR
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @codenvibe 

The Apple development team pushed an app update to the Apple App Store early this morning to address the issues with tvOS 17.2. If you go to the App Store, navigate to Purchased and then click on TELUS TV+, you can download the app manually. If you have automatic updates turned on, your Apple TV may have already grabbed the new app, or it may be scheduled to download sometime today. The latest version is 2.6.1 (474). Apple doesn't publicly announce official OS release dates in advance, and we were anticipating it to come later this week; they beat us by a day. Thanks for the patience.

Version history
Last update:
‎01-12-2023 04:48 PM
Updated by:
Community Manager