cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i7 using data when turned off.

EZ
Friendly Neighbour

I have the basic cell and text prepaid plan.I was told picture texts were included free in my text allotment but Cellular Data has to be on.

Problem: I turn cellular data on to send a picture and immediately incur data charges for each picture around $2.00.I check to see what is using data and it is System Service only,all other tabs that use data are turned off.Is there anyway of stopping my additonal charges?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There aren't any separate System Services Data charges. It's just plain data use. If sending to another iPhone, that is typically data only. That's no longer a text or MMS message. That will show under System Services data.

If you have access to wifi, maybe emailing the photos may be a better option. If you send the photos while mobile, including data may be a consideration. It may end up being cheaper with the data added than pay per use.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Picture texts do require data as they are MMS messages rather than just text messages. MMS messages cannot be sent over wifi.

If you're sending a photo to another iPhone user using Messages, it is likely sending the messages through Apple's service which requires data but does also work through wifi.

Data usage by one of the services that show up under the "System Services" heading cannot be blocked if data is enabled.. The old talk and text plans are old plans that pre-date modern smartphones and those smartphones are increasingly data oriented in their services.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

EZ
Friendly Neighbour

Thankyou Nighthawk,I am sending to a Blackberry,and at times to an iphone.System Services shows minimal data usage in all apps on the list,including Siri,which I don't even use.If I send one picture a day that data charge could really add up over a months time.I question if customers of Telus with a Monthly Talk & Data plan also have these System Services Data charges or is it because its a prepaid plan? 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There aren't any separate System Services Data charges. It's just plain data use. If sending to another iPhone, that is typically data only. That's no longer a text or MMS message. That will show under System Services data.

If you have access to wifi, maybe emailing the photos may be a better option. If you send the photos while mobile, including data may be a consideration. It may end up being cheaper with the data added than pay per use.

EZ
Friendly Neighbour

When I go to Cellular>Cellular Data and scroll down to current period which I cleared to zero and then I sent a picture,it then stated 1.3MB>under that it states System Services 1.3MB.

I open System Services and it shows all the different items that the 1.3MB consist of.,ie Cellular Services>733KB,Time & Location 45.3 KB etc,there 13 items on there.My Data usage charge is made up of these usages correct? Everything is set to not use cellular data or wifi only,it is just when I send a pic these charges go through on my account balance because I have to turn cellular data on for a moment or two to be able to send that picture.I don't send pics often I just would like to understand why these charges go through,normally I see intermittant .01cent charges go through they call data leakage,but as soon as I send a picture which I am being told is free the charges go up from $1.50 or more.