cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

double throttled to 60kpbs on unlimited on 4g 3/4 bars

horizon9
Helpful Neighbour
My speeds are intentionally being throttled to the minimum of 60kpbs when I usually get around 700kpbs to 1mb. Why is telus doing this.
15 REPLIES 15

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus doesn't offer unlimited data plans where it's always high speed data. There are certain clearly advertised limits and after you hit them, the speed is throttled.

From Telus Mobility's plans FAQ: 

Q. Does TELUS offer unlimited/endless data plans?

A. While our Peace of Mind plans allow you to use unlimited data, your speeds will
be slowed once you reach the plans GB allowance. For example, if a plan offers 20GB of high‑speed data, once you pass 20GB, you’ll
notice slower speeds. However, you will still be able to use your endless data
without worrying about data limits or overages.

Additionally:

Peace of Mind Plans allow you to use as much data as you like while in Canada and
never be charged data overages. After your plan’s high-speed threshold, TELUS will
reduce the maximum speed for the remainder of your billing cycle to a maximum of
512 Kbps. This means you’ll still be able to browse the Internet and use email but
video quality will be reduced and other high-bandwidth applications will take longer
to load. Please refer to TELUS’ Fair Use Policy at telus.com/fairusepolicy for
further information.

Which plan are you actually on?

How much data have you used so far this month?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

I'm on peace of mind plan, I know Ive used my 30gb already. I was on the phone with technical support and they said the the term and conditions don't garauntee a maximum of 512kbs. They said there is a minium of 60 kbps, and that's why my speeds are at the minimum. What's speed do you think I should have with 4g 3/4 bars and with a normal speed test of 4mbs with capped data?

horizon9
Helpful Neighbour
My normal speeds with capped data on a speed test is at least 4mbs

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Again:

Which plan are you actually on?

How much data have you used so far this month?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

horizon9
Helpful Neighbour
The 700kpbs to 1mbs speeds I stated in my op was from downloading something from a website which the website them selves will thottle from my normal speed test speed of 4mbs, hence what I said.

horizon9
Helpful Neighbour
Ive tried testing on YouTube with a 1080p video with a data monitor and it's still avg 60kpbs.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

High demand data will of course be throttled more then surfing the web. The fact you already passed your allotted limit for the month. Don’t expect more allotted min speeds for high consumption sites. 

3/4 bars doesn’t mean much you can have slow speeds even with 4 “bars” a variety of factors exist for data speeds.

I don't think YouTube 1080p is throttled to 60kpbs average. I'm expecting 4 times that at least, that would be 240kpbs. Especially when I know my cell reception at 3/4 bars on 4g is 4mbs. Does make logical sense.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What speeds are you thinking you’ll achieve?You clearly stated you hit your monthly limit, and it’s now operating at a reduced throughput.  Telus clearly will throttle your speeds according to the traffic. What normal download rates vs capped are two different things regardless of signal strength. 

What do u mean what speeds do I think I should achieve with unlimited data, obvious close to the stated maximum of 512kbs, make sense, especially given my cell reception quality of 6 times that at 4mbs? I expect close to the maximum limit. what part of 60kbps compared to 512kbps do u not understand? It is far too much slower than the maximum especially given my cell reception quality.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The number of bars on your phone does not equal the speed of the connection in mbps. 4 bars reflects the signal strength between your phone and the tower, not the specific speed of the connection. In a few rare places in the BC interior I've had 4 bars and over 300mbps on LTE. In Vancouver I've had over 100mbps with 4 bars. Just depends on where you are and the speed the tower is capable of.

Additionally, 512kbps (kilobits) is approximately 60Kb/s (kilobytes).

The speed on my download manager and data monitor does have a capital B, 60kB/s so I guess that makes sense, I didn't know that. Tho that means a 200 mb download should take 6.6 minutes if 512kbps if approx half a mb right. But my download takes about 40 minutes. Am right that 512kpbs is about half a megabyte? If it's not I was totally off base of what I thought broadband data was if it's only 60 kilobytes, and 1000 kilobytes is a megabyte, that is terribly slow.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

No, 512kbps isn't equal to half a megabyte. Half a megabit yes but that's still 60kB/s. There are 8 bits in every byte. 512kbps / 8 bits = 64kB.

https://superuser.com/questions/287498/what-is-the-difference-between-a-kibibyte-a-kilobit-and-a-kil...

If you're still able to download a 200mb file in 40 minutes, that's fast. In theory at 512kbps that file should take closer to 54 minutes to download. The calculation of 6 minutes you have is if you're assuming the connection is 512kB/s or 4mbps which is far faster than what you've got.

Actually I think the file is a around 180 mb and takes about an 1 hr

horizon9
Helpful Neighbour
I think 1080p YouTube has at least a minimum of 1mbs to even be able to stream to people so that seems obvious.