WiFi Calling isn't working on my brand new Samsung Galaxy S8+ which was purchased from Telus.

Eric_A
Connector

I have a Note 8 and the VoLTE and WiFi calling are working in Montreal. I notice that 2 days ago, It was marked HD on the left side of the call timer. When I'm not on WiFi, the LTE+ sign doesn't change anymore to the regular 4g.

D2511
Resident
Note 8 user here and new to Telus from Rogers.

VoLTE does work on Telus, WiFi Calling however doesn't. Your 4G and LTE+ haven NOTHING to do with Wi-Fi calling (a feature on Android)!

Telus when will you give us Wi-Fi calling and 'Real' voicemail to text (just like you support on Google devices) recently?

I'm loving the network and everything else but these features are needed by us Android users.
Nickolaos
Resident

Another month has gone by, and still no update on the status of WiFi calling on the S8.  I have the unfortunate task of working in both mechanical and electrical rooms where cell reception is spotty but WiFi is rock solid.  Is there anyway we can get an ETA?

Thanks!

ThisGuyDoesntCare
Advocate

I've given up on the idea that Telus is even thinking about Android at all anymore. I expect Telus will be an Apple only service by early next year, and will tell it's Android users to either get an iPhone or to leave Telus all together. They most likely will send out notices saying your service will be cut off by March 1, 2018 unless you pay up for a $1500 iPhone. Truth is, Telus doesn't want their Android users anyway, as they see them as poor and second class subscribers. Telus only wants the premium, 1st class type of people.

D2511
Resident
It seems so bizzare. They have the functionality om Android why won't they implement it across Samsung devices? It will take some pressure off their network too.
Highlighted
TwitchyPuppy
Advisor
Go figure..

Sent from my iPhone 8 Plus
CPTofino
Resident

Hey @dru back in June you noted "Coming Soon" its now Feb 2018 - 3/4 of a year. S9 is almost available. STILL NO WIFI CALLING.

I think you're spreading misinformation or have a really bad definition of soon. 

Syaoran
Ambassador

Newer phones coming out would be the priority.  You will be lucky in the S8 and S8+ get WiFi Calling by the end of 2018.

TwitchyPuppy
Advisor
It definitely depends on the carrier. I know Fido even supports Wi-Fi Calling on the S7.
Syaoran
Ambassador

Rogers/Fido may have done it first on a national scale for Canada but Telus has never been a pioneering carrier.  Their Apple-like approach is to sit back, wait for everyone else to do it first, and then claim it as a milestone when they get around to doing it years later.  Wireless charging, anyone?!  Smiley Tongue  

FoosJunkie
Resident

I just spent 45 minutes on the phone. First with a sales rep, who told me that "the samsung page indicates that S6, S7," etc should have WiFi calling. Me having to explain to her that no, the TELUS page says that only the G6 is supported. She then transferred me to technical support.

Tech support guy: Just the G6.

Me: I know. That's what I said.
Tech support guy: Let me double-check.
*cue being on hold for 15 minutes*

Tech support guy: Oh, actually it's the S6, S7, etc. with Android 7.0 and up.

Me: I have an S7 edge with 7.0. No wifi calling.
Tech support guy: Oh. Hold on.

*cue being on hold for 15 minutes*

Tech support guy: No, nvm, it's just the G6.

Yazdi
Resident

***UPDATE: TELUS ANDROID WIFI CALLING IS NOW ENABLED ON SAMSUNG GALAXY S8+****

Hi all, heavily anticipated and as we've all been patiently waiting! So today, on my Telus S8+ I downloaded that new update which is Oreo. I went to phone settings in the dialler, and at the bottom the Wifi Feature was there and I registered it and confirm it is now working. They have not updated what phones are supported but in order to use it, Ensure the following

1) Make sure to contact TELUS and ensure WIFI Calling + VoLTE is enabled

2) Make sure you download the latest android oreo which was literally just released.

3) Goto your dialer, click the 3 Dots on the top right clock settings and goto the bottom enable WIFI Calling and voila!

Their website still says G6 , and they have no updated it. I am not sure what other phones are supported but I am so happy as I was losing hope. 

Goodluck and let me know if this works for you guys!

lucky644
Friendly Neighbour

Anyone hear anything about S9?

Seems strange they would do S8 and not S9....they both have the same Android version.

lucky644
Friendly Neighbour

I spoke to 3 people at Telus, before one finally told me the S9 is not yet supported.

It seems crazy to me that the S8 works, and the S9 doesn't.