What does message 4UC3 mean?

Chelle1
Friendly Neighbour
What does message 4UC3 Mean?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tai
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Chelle1, the automated recording you're hearing is broken down into 2 parts.

The first digit '4' is the most important, identifying the type of problem. 4 indicates that the problem is coming from the person you're calling, either not accepting calls or being out of service and calls not being allowed by their provider.

The remainder of the message, 'UC3' is a composite number that is used by our technical support teams when troubleshooting.

After the 4UC3 message plays, the automated recording should proceed with the definition of the problem.

• Example:  "4-U-C-3... The client you are trying to reach is temporarily out of service or not equipped for incoming calls. Please check the number and try again."

The person you're calling will have to engage their service provider for assistance. 🙂

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

In what instance are you hearing or seeing it?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Chelle1
Friendly Neighbour
I am a Telus user calling a Telus user. We spoke without any problems a few hours prior to my getting this message when I call.
It doesn't ring at all. Goes right to 4UC1 Or 4UC2/3 Or one day 10 V 1. If I send a text, I can view details which say the text was sent and received. My question is, if service is temporarily off, is my text still being received and stored by their phone? This is confusing me.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

What happens if you call from a different phone?

Until you speak to the other person, you will not know if the SMS you send has been received, as SMS does not provide delivery confirmation.

NFtoBC

Tai
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

Hi @Chelle1, the automated recording you're hearing is broken down into 2 parts.

The first digit '4' is the most important, identifying the type of problem. 4 indicates that the problem is coming from the person you're calling, either not accepting calls or being out of service and calls not being allowed by their provider.

The remainder of the message, 'UC3' is a composite number that is used by our technical support teams when troubleshooting.

After the 4UC3 message plays, the automated recording should proceed with the definition of the problem.

• Example:  "4-U-C-3... The client you are trying to reach is temporarily out of service or not equipped for incoming calls. Please check the number and try again."

The person you're calling will have to engage their service provider for assistance. 🙂

Chelle1
Friendly Neighbour
Thank you for replying Tai. When I send a text to that number, it is sent and received. Does this just mean that the phone was able to receive the text but nothing else?
The message I receive when calling is exactly the one you sent me.

Tai
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

It's odd that a text would go through but not a call, but it's possible that they (or their provider) have something blocked regarding the incoming calls.

Chelle1
Friendly Neighbour
My phone tells me the text was received. My question is, is it being stored on their phone? Calling still gets the message 4UC3 or one day 10 V 1? Any help on that? Talked to this person right before this happened. We did not have an issue. I am trying to figure out if it's a service suspension? It never goes to voicemail or even rings.

Tai
TELUS Employee
TELUS Employee

For your texts, messages would be sent to their device. If you're both iPhone users it may be going through as iMessage which would not be related to the cellular network as those are simply sent through data/Wi-Fi connections.

The 10- message could be a suspension issue as it indicates that calls are barred or cannot be completed. If you'd like to troubleshoot on the TELUS side, feel free to visit telus.com/contact to reach out to the technical support team.

Chelle1
Friendly Neighbour
I am an android Telus user, the number I am trying is an iPhone Telus user. I will try what you have advised. Thank you!

Cheryl2
Friendly Neighbour
We have iPhones and my man says the who 4uc3 thing. But yet I text and it still says delivered. Then it sometimes says sent as txt.
What does that mean?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your iPhones are likely set up to use iMessage. If the Apple iMessage server is unable to send the message using the iMessage protocol, it will switch, and send it as a SMS text. Since iMessage uses data (either cellular or Wi-Fi) when a data connection is unavailable, it will send as SMS instead, as SMS does not use the data path.

NFtoBC

Cheryl2
Friendly Neighbour
That doesn’t answer me question. His phone when I call said the 4uc3. Message.
But yet when I send a txt it says delivered in blue. Yet sometimes goes green.
So is he still receiving my messages?

Cheryl2
Friendly Neighbour
Like even though his phone says the 4uc3 message does it mean he’s cut off? And with my messages saying delivered does it mean he can still txt or is receiving my txt messages?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Make it simple. Have him directly contact his provider and tell them that he can't receive calls and callers get that message. The other side is - can he make phone calls?

iMessage or Apple Messages will work fine with just a wifi connection only. Have him shut off wifi and see if it still works. If it doesn't, he still needs to directly contact his provider.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Cheryl2
Friendly Neighbour
This I’m unsure as he lives 9 hours away. But I can send text messages and they deliver no problem. They go blue. Like I said sometimes goes green but then goes back to blue and says delivered.
Could it be bill issue or is it more network? He is with Telus. This I know.

Cheryl2
Friendly Neighbour
It just when I call. It gives me the 4uc3 message.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Either way have him call technical support. This isn't an issue that can be fixed here.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Cheryl2
Friendly Neighbour
K that is rude. If you realize I’m asking a simple question. I’m wondering if he still gets my text messages even though when you call and it says 4uc3. Cause they say delivered or goes to the SMS but I just want know if he gets them and can message back with his phone say the 4uc3 message.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Nothing rude at all. 4UC3 is not an issue that can be solved without talking with technical support. That is why I recommended he contact technical support.

If you are curious if he is receiving messages and he isn't responding using iMessage, do you have another means of contacting him to ask? Like email or social media? We have no way to answer if he is receiving them or not as we do not have access to him or his phone. iMessage is separate from Telus as it is an Apple provided service.

Cheryl2
Friendly Neighbour
Ah I see what you mean. Okay thank you.