cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus and RCS integration

TelusHatesRCS
Neighbour

Hello,

I have been looking forward to the idea of having SMS upgraded to RCS, it adds a whole list of features to the possible communication,

however Telus has been giving vague answers and have come up short on the promise of "Some time in 2018"

I would like an actual update on this, because all other carriers are already supporting it.

It's getting to the point where I will be switching providers.

55 REPLIES 55

Syaoran
Rockstar

Telus has never been quick to roll out new features and technologies.  Whether or not that is a good thing, is debatable.  What device you have will further complicate the time frame as to when that update will be available for you to enjoy.  Samsung devices usually get features before LG and Huawei devices.  

Mathieu
Organizer
Hi, I totally agree with you and Telus is so vague about any updates or info about this. It's always the same answer they give which basically is nothing and they always tell people to check their website lol. I've started to talk with Rogers and as soon as my contract ends, I'm switching since Rogers has all features like RCS and WiFi calling to multiple different phones VS Telus that doesn't have these features to any phones or just certain phones for WiFi calling. It's ridiculous how Telus "support" lol these features in 2019.

Telus used to be a great company and I didn't mind paying the higher fee's because the customer service was terrific.

However, now there are cheaper options, with better customer service and better features.

I don't understand how Telus plans to keep growing when they won't keep up with the times.

Note also that Telus does not permit WiFi Calling outside of Canada.  I have approached them on multiple occasions to give an answer as to why this is so, and receive only unrealistic answers such as "their agreements with carriers" - which is hogwash since, using the USA for an example, what sort of "agreement" would say "Telus, you can't enable WiFi calling in the USA and must use AT&T or TMobole but WE will use WiFi calling in Canada".  Total rubbish answer.

Or that it is "illegal".  Yes it is, in a handful of countries, not many.

I've been a Telus customer many years.  I appreciate that they have a nice, expansive list of EasyRoam countries.  But I don't like having my phone unable to do things for no valid reason, and that's what it is....no valid reason.   Good luck with Rogers.  Maybe 9 or 10 million others should follow suit and they might listen.  Because that's another thing, they seem to have a listening problem.

I find it discouraging to say the least, but they aren't concerned about the users anymore, they're focused on money now.

They are the Blizzard of cellular services.

The "latest story" about why WIFI calling doesn't work outside Canada is that the foreign carriers aren't set up for it. The contention is that the phone "talks" to the Telus towers in order for WiFi calling to work, and this is why it is not possible to have it work outside of Canada.  Upon further query, the contention is that the phone *must* talk to the Telus towers in order to do wifi calling,  even when the phone is in Canada and in airplane mode, or far away from any tower and on wifi.    You know, if they told me that "so and so who is a VP won't allow it" or something like that, it would at least make sense. The stories get so tiring...they are so ridiculous.     WiFi calling is a convention.  Somehow we are supposed to believe these concocted stories.  Several people have put their phones on VPN and then successfully enabled wifi calling.  Which, if one needed to disprove a point, this would certainly do....really sick of this crap.  

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

The simple answer is Telus has chosen not to implement Wi-Fi calling outside Canada. If you keep pressuring folks for whom the knowledge is 'above their pay grade', you will just get surmise, as is this post.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Folks who are asked a question that is “above their pay grade” are supposed to escalate it, not fabricate illogical stories about it.  Whether Telus chooses to implement or not to implement WiFi calling outside of Canada, it is not unrealistic, as a customer, to ask for a valid reason why.  My contention is that there is not any justifiable reason – and if they do have one, which does not contain falsehoods, I should be entitled to hear it.

We as customers are told to call customer service when we have a problem.  We are not given a different number to call if the question is “difficult”

The utterance of rubbish answers and failure to escalate to someone who can provide a proper answer is a failure on their customer service.  Furthermore, it has been totally ignored on their suggestions area, which, unlike this forum, is supposed to be manned and answered by actual Telus employees.

Although having or not having international wifi calling is not likely something that Telus could be reported to the regulator for, having their customer service giving ridiculous excuses certainly is.

Rather than getting called out for pointing out some obvious failures in Telus customer support, it would be nice to have some more people getting on their case to up their game.

Although Telus has a much better list of EasyRoam countries, the difference between travelling with Telus and travelling with Rogers is now like night and day.  Rogers not only has WiFi calling everywhere it is legal, but I’ve also noticed my iPhone does VoLTE in the USA with Rogers in every state I’ve tried recently – as in six states in the last few days.  Telus: 0.  Call setup as it goes back to 3G is slow in comparison.

Any update on rcs? Telus last one to provide rcs support?

Try the latest beta of Android Messages.  

I the issue is Telus not supporting it.

Screenshot_20190724-122128_Messages.png

Yes, but not supporting it by asking that it be included in their firmware and stock apps.  Google has implemented RCS native support into the latest beta of Android Messages, which doesn't require the carrier to support this any longer for it to work.  As long as your device is on Android P, RCS will work with the latest beta of Android Messages for those in the Android Messages beta program, regardless of your carrier.  

Hi

I got into the beta program and same thing cannot register.

Hi
I just activate beta look for update and still cannot register as it still say that my operator do not support it. I do have latest version android also ona S10+.

Actually, Google did release RCS and bypassing carriers but only in the UK and France for now. They mentioned they will release it in other countries in the next year. So Canada right now doesn't have it and still reply on the carriers unfortunately. I am part of the messages beta program and don't have the feature.

Now, the rcs integration start on 21 August with the Google Pixel 2 2XL and Pixel 3 3XL. More devices gonna be add later this Year.

Every comment I've read on Reddit and MobileSyrup has identified that the option to enable chat features appeared and then later disappeared. I've had the same thing. Any idea when it'll actually be working?

I have the same issue. I have the 2XL and it showed up for 2 seconds and disappeared and I haven't seen it since. Why won't Telus respond?

Anonymous
Not applicable

What happens when you're in the United States with Rogers on Wi-Fi Calling and dial 911?
Where does it do? Does 911 in the US close to where you are pick up or does Canadian 911 pick up?

That might be the reason why TELUS doesn't allow it.