cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus Peace of Mind Plan and Tethering

DBB
Just Moved In

Can someone confirm, I'm looking at the Telus Peace of Mind plan 10 or 20gb it says Non shared.

From other older plan forum searches, it seems that non shared applies to multiple phone numbers on the same plan and not about Tethering.

"The 10GB plan is Not Shareable data between other cellphones on an account like a family plan (shareable data between phones). Making a hotspot tethering is allowed."

" the "non-shareable" part of this deal is in relation to family plan sharing, where multiple people share pooled data.  Sharing with your own devices is fine. "

Can someone from Telus please confirm if I can tether my iPhone to my iPad with these new Peace of Mind plans?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Stephyul ,

This is a common question, and deserves some clarification 🙂

There are 2 versions of Peace Of Mind

• Peace Of Mind
  • Peace Of Mind Connect

For both plans versions, you can tether / hotspot the full-speed data, but you cant tether / hotspot the unlimited throttled data.

For Peace Of Mind Connect Only, you cant tether / hotspot unlimited data, but you can share high-speed & unlimited trotted data with all your cellular tablets and cellular smartwatches that are on your account which have the $0 Peace Of Mind Access plan. This is a really great feature since you don't have to waste your phones battery by having ether / hotspot enabled. 

I hope that clarifies the differences of what you can and cant do 🙂

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Telus has never prohibited tethering, but be aware a tethered device sees your phone as a Wi-Fi connection, and may download copious amounts of data.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

CJR
Ambassador

You can use the Wi-Fi hotspot feature up until your full speed data runs out so using your iPad with what's still remaining on your 10/20/50GB portion you'll be ok with.

Shareable is just that if have one user that say uses 25GB and one that uses 5 and were on a 20 & 10GB plan the heavy user wouldn't be throttled and hotspot would continue to work past the 20GB although if went over the shared total overage charges would apply.

What if I have used my full speed data? Can I still use my phone as a hotspot but a slow speed? Or the hotspot will stop completely?

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Stephyul ,

This is a common question, and deserves some clarification 🙂

There are 2 versions of Peace Of Mind

• Peace Of Mind
  • Peace Of Mind Connect

For both plans versions, you can tether / hotspot the full-speed data, but you cant tether / hotspot the unlimited throttled data.

For Peace Of Mind Connect Only, you cant tether / hotspot unlimited data, but you can share high-speed & unlimited trotted data with all your cellular tablets and cellular smartwatches that are on your account which have the $0 Peace Of Mind Access plan. This is a really great feature since you don't have to waste your phones battery by having ether / hotspot enabled. 

I hope that clarifies the differences of what you can and cant do 🙂

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].

I have a Telus Peace of Mind for Business plan. Under details it says “Hotspot Blocked” (with a checkmark like it’s a feature).

Can I share data via hotspot?
If not, can I enable it?

Hi @Chrisizzle ,

Unfortunately I have no formal training on the business plans so I had to reference to the TELUS business website Click Here. It states in the terms at the bottom of the page "Tethering included to high speed threshold for Peace of Mind™ Plans."

So as far as I am aware, what I shared above seems to also apply for Peace Of Mind - Business Plans. 

Perhaps on the business side, hotspot is blocked by default to prevent employee misuse. If you are the business owner of the account, or have permission from the business owner, I do not see any reason why you cant un-check the "Hotspot Blocked" feature and start using your hotspot for the high speed threshold portion of the data. If in doubt, I suggest contacting TELUS using live chat, or over the phone.

Thanks for the prompt reply. A quick call to customer service and they unlocked the hotspot feature. Success.

Thanks Brandon! 

can I still use my Bluetooth feature on unlimited throttled data? My tablet is not a cellular tablet but I can connect my tablet to my cellular using Bluetooth, so that would be great if I can use the Bluetooth feature even on unlimited throttled data.

thanks again Brandon ! 

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @Stephyul ,

Yes & No. Here are some scenario. 

To avoid confusion of others reading this, Yes, you can use Bluetooth for connecting devices to your phone such as a wireless speaker / headphones, or your car. You can even use Bluetooth to transfer information to and from your tablet such as a picture. Your Bluetooth (and its features) will continue to work regardless of your phone having high-speed or throttled data.

In regards to "Bluetooth tethering".

• You can use Bluetooth for tethering your high-speed data from your phone with Peace Of Mind, to your tablet.
  • You cant use Bluetooth for tethering your unlimited throttled data from your phone with Peace Of Mind, to your tablet.

For your specific setup, once all high-speed data is used up, you cant tether. Here are some solutions...

• Purchase a $15 3GB Fast Pass, giving your cellphone another 3GB of high-speed data, which can be tethered to your tablet.
  • Upgrade your Peace Of Mind plan to one with more data such as the 20GB or 50GB option.
  • Change your plan from Peace Of Mind, to Peace Of Mind Connect. Then add a cellular tablet to your plan with $0 Peace Of Mind Access, and get access to both high-speed, and unlimited throttled data on both your phone and tablet.

I hope that makes more sense 🙂

Thanks 😊 very appreciated BrandonT!