cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming charges

Jfast
Just Moved In
So we have a phone plan with Telus and we live on Vancouver Island. We head up island to camp at China beach and we get charged roaming charges. We paddle off of Sidney we get charged roaming charges. Each time we call to explain. This time they say no reversals. Why should we have to monitor roaming etc when we are in Canada using a Canadian plan? Telus this is poor service!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
In the cellular settings of your phone, you can switch from automatic carrier to TELUS only. This will prevent you connecting to US carriers when in their coverage area.
Radio waves do not respect international boundaries.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
In the cellular settings of your phone, you can switch from automatic carrier to TELUS only. This will prevent you connecting to US carriers when in their coverage area.
Radio waves do not respect international boundaries.
NFtoBC

xray
Hero
Turn off data roaming on your phones.

Thacker
Just Moved In

Roaming charges can reach hundreds or even thousands of dollars if you're not careful. Roaming is generally not included in your plan, and roaming rates may be higher. ... Roaming charges apply to voice calls, SMS (text messages), MMS (picture messages), and data that you receive or send when you're roaming.

Ray67
Helpful Neighbour

My son is on my account. He accidentally rang up a high roaming charge two months ago after a year of responsible phone use. I paid the big bill (Telus gave some discount) and then asked Telus if they can put a limit on my son's roaming charges. Telus said they cannot put a limit or set lower warning prompts. With todays technology that answer does not sit well with me. I should be able to set an overage limit for example $25 instead of getting one message that says my roaming charges are exceeding $700 (lucky to have got that one message I guess). My son was on a pay as you go previously which worked fine. Any savings I had before this have all gone down the T##%%@t.

@Ray67  Had a prepaid phone for years. I had the data blocked in the first few months because of messages coming to phone i did not want to pay for.

Hello @Ray67 , it's possible to remove the roaming options from your son's number to prevent this situation or you can also add the Easy Roam feature in case he needs to travel. A pay as you go account cannot roam in the U.S. so that's why you never had this issue before.

Ray67
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks but I would like to see an earlier warning system.

I understand and in this case, you can either prevent the roaming fees by adding an Easy Roam option and worst case, you'll be charge $8/day or you can follow @NFtoBC's instructions which will prevent the phone from connecting to another network. It's also possible to remove the roaming options for his number as well.

yes totally agree with that cause I have had the same situation with my kids I think they should have one cause my family in the United States have that feature with t-mobile I would like if Telus had that as well 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

He can enter the carrier settings on his phone, and switch them from Automatic and then select Telus as the carrier. This will prevent him connecting to any wireless network but Telus. *IF* he subsequently connects to another carrier, it clearly would not be “by accident.”

NFtoBC