cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Cell Coverage Reception Fleetwood

nsmithe
Just Moved In

This is my first post on here, so if this has already been brought up, I apologize for the repetition of it, but I did not see any post pertaining to this subject.

Ever since covid-19 hit, the reception has gone from spotty to down right sub-sub-par.  At first, it would cut in and out for anyone that I would be on the phone with;  I could hear them fine but people on the other end of my call would say that it is cutting in and out.  That was around early 2020.  Fast forward to present time November 2021 and calls will just cut out with little warning...I will be able to hear people clearly on my end but everyone I speak with (on their end) will not hear me and then it just cuts out.  This is in a fairly large block area from around 152nd and 92 and all the way down to the other side of Fraser highway by the Safeway.  I spoke with numerous people who are with Koodo and Telus and they all say the same thing that the reception is ridiculous here.  I filed a complaint with Telus earlier this year and a 'engineer' called me back saying that the reception is poor because there is a increase in population in this area and it is affecting the quality of calls.  He said the only solution is to put up another tower.  I asked when that would happen and he did not have an answer.  Considering Telus is one of the 'big 3' you would think that they would have big 3 quality coverage and not Freedom quality coverage.  Is anyone else in this general area having the same problem?  Do you know people with Rogers/Fido in this area or Bell/Virgin and how their quality of reception is?  I'm thinking of making the jump here if they have less spotty reception.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bell/Virgin would have the exact same reception since they are using Telus towers in western Canada. Rogers/Fido in that area likely wouldn't be any better since both the main Telus and Rogers tower in the area are in the same location at the Esso on Fraser Highway and 158th. There are a few Telus 5G repeaters set up in the area as well but they are small and have limited range. There is actually one at 151 St and 92 Ave. It the pair of little square white boxes on the pole.

If Telus knows of the issue, I'd suspect they are planning something to improve service in the area but upgrades are not a fast process. You'd think with Covid and many people working from home that cellular wouldn't be nearly as heavily used.

A new tower is a big undertaking and has a ton of red tape to go through. The process to get a new tower approved can sometimes take years depending on the city or town its going to be in. In a number of locations in the lower mainland where there are taller buildings, it's not uncommon to see a tower on the roof but there aren't really any buildings like that near 152 and 92 Ave. Finding a clear piece of land to put a tower on in such a built up area is not an easy task.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Bell/Virgin would have the exact same reception since they are using Telus towers in western Canada. Rogers/Fido in that area likely wouldn't be any better since both the main Telus and Rogers tower in the area are in the same location at the Esso on Fraser Highway and 158th. There are a few Telus 5G repeaters set up in the area as well but they are small and have limited range. There is actually one at 151 St and 92 Ave. It the pair of little square white boxes on the pole.

If Telus knows of the issue, I'd suspect they are planning something to improve service in the area but upgrades are not a fast process. You'd think with Covid and many people working from home that cellular wouldn't be nearly as heavily used.

A new tower is a big undertaking and has a ton of red tape to go through. The process to get a new tower approved can sometimes take years depending on the city or town its going to be in. In a number of locations in the lower mainland where there are taller buildings, it's not uncommon to see a tower on the roof but there aren't really any buildings like that near 152 and 92 Ave. Finding a clear piece of land to put a tower on in such a built up area is not an easy task.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

singh
Just Moved In
not sure what's going on in this area special if you are on 152th and fraser highway or around 88th and 152th cell service really sucks. its been going on over a year now.
you have to relay on wifi calling mostly.
i have raised this issue with telus no solution yet.
fido/ rogers are not good too.
virgin/ bell seems to be better (one of my friend came to house and is using bell without issue)