cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only getting 25mb download in downtown Toronto?? And no LTE-A? (Brand new device)

Lundon
Friendly Neighbour

I just received a new device yesterday (Galaxy S20 Ultra SM-G9880). It's the dual sim variant from Hong Kong with 512GB of storage and 16GB of ram. It was pre-ordered in Feb and it just arrived, jeez. 

Anyway, first thing I noticed after setting it up and installing my Telus and Bell sim cards was that calls on the Telus sim were having issues connecting or calls were breaking up. I also noticed that my data connection was dropping to H or H+ on calls. I checked in the settings and VoLTE was on. After doing a chat with a super helpful agent he confirmed I was not provisioned for VoLTE and that immediately solved that issue.

The other issue now lies with my data speeds. My phone NEVER displays LTE or 4G LTE on the notification bar. It only displays 4G. I performed a speed test several times with both sim cards. Bell seemed to be more consistent at around 25mb on download and 38mb on the upload speed. Telus was very inconsistent and ranges from 9mb down to 25mb down and the upload is on average around 38-40mb. 

Now, I should also mention I am literally steps from Yonge and Dundas downtown. I would assume that I should technically have the best connection and the fastest speeds. However, maybe I'm wrong and that maybe I'm suffering from the most tower congestion as well. Or that carries are throttling speeds due to Covid. My wife's Galaxy A71 on Koodo also gets around 25mb on download speeds. But when I'm reading online about guys in Montreal getting LTE-A speeds over 200mb on download I'm shaking my head. 

Is there anything I need to be concerned about? What speeds are you guys seeing right now?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There appear to be several LTE towers near Yonge and Dundas in Toronto. Mostly using the 1900Mhz or 2100Mhz frequencies which GM-9880 supports. If you are in a different area away from Yonge and Dundas or even downtown, do you notice a difference in speeds?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There appear to be several LTE towers near Yonge and Dundas in Toronto. Mostly using the 1900Mhz or 2100Mhz frequencies which GM-9880 supports. If you are in a different area away from Yonge and Dundas or even downtown, do you notice a difference in speeds?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Lundon
Friendly Neighbour

I plan on testing today when I go for a walk around the downtown and Harborfront area. Will report back.

Lundon
Friendly Neighbour
Walked around the King and Bay area. Did another random speed test and got over 250mb download speeds. Clearly something to do with the towers near my home.