Mobility competition

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

telus should be a LEADER not a FOLLOWER in the free data usage area. Gigabytes are 20th century! Get into the 21st century Telus and give the customer more freedom in there internet.

xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum
  • TelusDirect will provide free data.  I've tested in the neighborhoods they have it rolled out and it's great with Optik on the Go app.
  • Are competitor's free data 4G?  Or is it 2G?  Is 2G the 21st century?
  • I remember when it was $100 for 2mb.  Today's gigabyte packages are a great bargain.
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum

fyi.... Telus is also the leader with satisfied customers.  The competition believes in making themselves leaders in complaints.  Welcome to the 21st century.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/canadas-ombudsman-reports-drop-in-telecom-complain...

dacimvrl
Neighbour

@xl  too bad there's no competition in Canada..  I just relocated to Vancouver due to work from the states, and let me tell you, the internet/cellphone service here is pathetic at best.  First world country, 3rd world telecomms.

Dark_Knight
Rockstar

@dacimvrl you clearly haven't been to Washington state then. I can't speak to high speed residential service, but the cellular service there is brutal. I get better, faster data speeds on my phone in the middle of nowhere in Canada than I do anywhere in washington state. 

iPhone power user
Highlighted
dacimvrl
Neighbour

@Dark_Knight

A little too much salt & pepper?  I'd wager downtown Seattle or even Bellevue have way better service than say, Nunavut, aka, middle of nowhere.  I was based in NYC, and T-Mo was pretty amazing. 

ScottyJ Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

@dukeebony  @xl  @dacimvrl  @Dark_Knight Great conversation, but the comments didn't really relate to the blog they were posted on, so I've moved this to a forum thread for folks to add to.

Cheers,

ScottyJ 

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

Thanks ScottyJ ---but I was not referring to mobile free data---I was referring to home internet service free data.That appears to be where the money is for Telus. Telus provides 6 Internet packages with free data ranging as follows: Telus 1--15 free G data, Telus 6--100 free G data, Telus 15--150 free G data, Telus 25--250 free G data, Telus 50--400 G free data and Telus 100--500 G free data. Most customers now use the internet to do banking and pay their bills online, check out news and weather online, use email instead of snail mail and watch the odd TV series or movie that they get from servers like CRAVE--- SHOMI and NETFLIX . Telus suggests it take 700 M to download a movie and 3 G to watch 1 hour of NETFLIX/CRAVE or SHOMI. In a one month period, it does not take long before you exceed the free data offered by Telus which eventually results in and additional charge to a maximum of $75 over and above your regular Internet fee for the month. That is a real slap in the face by Telus to their customers!!!! Yes I realize that come March 30th; customers will be able to purchase unlimited data at the rate of $15 per month ( if they have Telus TV service) OR $30 per month if they don't. However, the free data allowed by Telus should be in Terabytes not Gigabytes. Gigabytes may have been sufficient for the 1990's early 2000----BUT customers need Terabytes for use in the 21st Century. Maybe you should re-post this in a more appropriate blog---to reflect Home internet rather that mobile phone data!!!!!

Cheers,

ScottyJ Neighbourhood Alum
Neighbourhood Alum

Apologies for misfiling @dukeebony - the comments went in a few directions, I guess.

Feel free to either repost to the Home Services board or check out related threads there.

Cheers,

ScottyJ 

dukeebony
Helpful Neighbour

ScottyJ---further to my recent post---  the cost of Internet is outrageous unless you bundle it with home telephone/cell service and TV service. Not all customers want TV because of the commercials and the TV packages do not offer the customers the channels they want to watch unless they pick one or all of the packages offered by Telus.

heyitsme
Resident

No premium service provider offers unlimited data, unless it is purchased as an add-on to existing service.  It would be too much of a drain on the system.  It's like the mentality of an open bar..... Only a second rate provider will offer unlimited.  But then good luck with your speed and customer service.   And Telus is still cheaper than Bell or Rogers.

tsizzle
Ambassador

@dukeebony Don't mistake your internet habits with the average Canadian, particularly if you're never regulating yourself on what you download/watch. Only 16% of Canadians use Netflix, going to ignore the Shomi's etc. of the world since barely anyone uses them yet, so you'd be in the minority there. 

This website has a lot of other great information that compares Canada to the rest of the world (spoiler: we're ranked better than the US on almost all fronts):

http://cira.ca/factbook/2014/the-canadian-internet.html 

Based on the above, Canadians access the internet for an average 41.3 hours per month, if they used Netflix 100% of the time that would still only be 41.3 x 3GB = 120GB. 100% isn't realistic, even at 50% you're looking at only 60GB of data consumed. Now consider again that only 16% of Canadians fit this profile and you should clearly understand why your needs are not the same as your average person and why Telus doesn't feel the need to offer terabytes of data.

If you need terabytes, pay the $15 for unlimited as you should so that everyone else isn't subsidizing your crazy internet habits.

xray
All-Star

It's like all-you-can-eat buffets. They make money because most people eat a reasonable amount of food but pay the higher all-you-can-eat price thereby subsidizing the minority who eat an excessive amount. Don't expect good service or interesting food at an all-you-can-eat either because it doesn't fit the business model. There's a good chance you'll have to line up and wait too.