cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop vs Tablet

nash211
Coach

I have used my laptop surfing the internet via hotspot, uses a fair amount of data. I was wondering if using a tablet there was any difference. I want to get away from using a cable provider for internet just wireless.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

First, i thought i'd give my opinion on what tablet you should buy before I talk about data consumption and usage.

I own a MS Surface RT, iPad Air and Galaxy Tab 8 - If you were thinking about switching to a tablet, i'd probably suggest the iPad. The Apple application ecosystem is still unmatched and the quality of apps for both MS Windows RT and Android (for tablets) is not even in the same league in my opinion. Unless you plan on only utilizing the web browser, this is something you will want to take into consideration before making the switch. 

Okay, now onto data usage. You should noticeable decrease in data consumption for basic things on a tablet (web broswer), but again, if you get into the app world, the gap in data consumption can close fast. 

I know XL mentioend a few times that you may not be able to view websites that use Adobe Flash, but most sites have migrated to HTML5, and in my experience it hasn't been an issue. If you know you visit sites that are still running Flash, then you will need to consider buying a tablet like the Surface Pro. Both iOS and new Android tablets do not support flash content. 

Hope that helps.

iPhone power user

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
Yes, tablets will reduce data consumption as many websites will display in "mobile" mode. Then again you might find yourself limited with a tablet. Biggest example is lack of flash and java. Lack of a physical keyboard will be an issue too.

I was thinking of the microsoft tablet with a keyboard

First, i thought i'd give my opinion on what tablet you should buy before I talk about data consumption and usage.

I own a MS Surface RT, iPad Air and Galaxy Tab 8 - If you were thinking about switching to a tablet, i'd probably suggest the iPad. The Apple application ecosystem is still unmatched and the quality of apps for both MS Windows RT and Android (for tablets) is not even in the same league in my opinion. Unless you plan on only utilizing the web browser, this is something you will want to take into consideration before making the switch. 

Okay, now onto data usage. You should noticeable decrease in data consumption for basic things on a tablet (web broswer), but again, if you get into the app world, the gap in data consumption can close fast. 

I know XL mentioend a few times that you may not be able to view websites that use Adobe Flash, but most sites have migrated to HTML5, and in my experience it hasn't been an issue. If you know you visit sites that are still running Flash, then you will need to consider buying a tablet like the Surface Pro. Both iOS and new Android tablets do not support flash content. 

Hope that helps.

iPhone power user

View solution in original post

Thanks for all the replies, allot of good info

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum
MS has a "Surface" and "Surface RT". The RT will be closer to a laptop. Pay attention to the memory. How big is that laptop drive? How much can you cram into that tablet?

@xl wrote:
MS has a "Surface" and "Surface RT". The RT will be closer to a laptop. Pay attention to the memory. How big is that laptop drive? How much can you cram into that tablet?

That 'RT' bit alot of people in the rear. It is Microsoft App based and not 'Install the same program installer as the desktop'.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/6-differences-between-the-surface-rt-and-the-surfa.html

Part of the reason the Linux laptops failed to be kept after they were purchased, is because people did not understand the 'opensource' alternatives for their Windows programs.

Windows Surface2(not Surface2 Pro) has hidden the desktop mode.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/10/22/4868028/microsoft-drops-rt-from-surface-tablet-name

Microsoft is altering its Surface RT name to just Surface today. After dropping the RT moniker for its Surface 2 tablet, the software maker is removing the RT branding on the Surface entirely.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

RT doesn't mean Regular Tablet. RT is the weaker, scaled back, basic tablet. Windows RT is a complete piece of garbage. It can't even run regular Windows applications. For the cost of one of the Surface tablets, you can get a half decent laptop that has much more storage space and flexibility.

In the June 2013 quarter, Microsoft lost $900 million on unsold RT devices. That alone should be a hint that there are problems with them. With that kind of loss, makes one wonder just how long RT will be around.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@nash211 wrote:

I have used my laptop surfing the internet via hotspot, uses a fair amount of data. I was wondering if using a tablet there was any difference. I want to get away from using a cable provider for internet just wireless.

Wireless can be a very expensive means to obtain information from the 'net. Unless you are truly using small amounts of data, you will quickly exceed your caps.  There are a number of discussions on this board started by folks on wireless networking who find their consumption far exceeds their expectations. Possibly you should determine how much data you use currently, and use that as a point of comparison for what you might use on wireless.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

A tablet will use less data, but perhaps for the wrong reasons

• tablets often access mobile sites which are less data intensive
  • many tablets CANNOT handle flash or java... thus rich media content like videos may not work

To clarify... how much data do you consume wirelessly and on your landline in recent months?  Wireless data should show up in your monthly statement.  Coaxial/ADSL data consumption should be available if you call your internet provider.