cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fonus

mhinc
Ambassador

So

There is this guy Simon Tian, that appeared on a couple weeks ago.  Stating that he was offering the first Global Phone service, and it's using Telus's backbone for Canada.

As he advertises:

Unlimited Data Unlimited Calls Unlimited Texts Up to 5G speeds* Long distance included Roam freely in over 40 countries

Apparently for $30.00 a month, but you have to order the SIM card which is 40 Canadian from their sketchy WIX built over night website fonus.me.

BY NO MEANS am I here to advertise for this guy.  He had a kickstarter for a Neptune Pine watch which he screwed a lot of people over on, never getting the product or their money back.  He has obviously abandoned that project and is now doing this.

The reason I am here, is because even though he states and his websites FAQs stated that Telus is the backbone for the Canadian server, I can no see how that is possible.  How could Telus allow this?  How it would work in their favour to loose customers by offering their backbone to someone undercutting the crap out of them.  Also there is no announcements from Telus or the CRTC Regarding Fonus what so ever.

I am here to see if someone from Telus can step up and make a statement in regards to this, what is the truth, please!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SupaDude
Just Moved In

Posted on the Fonus website FAQ section:

Which networks are you using?

The initial supported network operators will be AT&T, Vodafone, Telus, Softbank and SK Telecom. We will rapidly increase the amount of supported networks in the near future.

Looking for some hard truth. Why would Telus agree to partner with this company who is going to literally steal your customers??

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck. Plenty of warnings about the scammer ceo “Simon titan”.

Do not buy anything from Fonus.. Way to many red flags and false statements. For your reading pleasure one of many online here. 

@WestCoasterBC 

Ya, as I said, I have seen his entire past of fraud and lies.  I am not buying anything.  What I am looking for is for someone from Telus to 

actually step up and debunk this.

SupaDude
Just Moved In

Posted on the Fonus website FAQ section:

Which networks are you using?

The initial supported network operators will be AT&T, Vodafone, Telus, Softbank and SK Telecom. We will rapidly increase the amount of supported networks in the near future.

Looking for some hard truth. Why would Telus agree to partner with this company who is going to literally steal your customers??

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

First and most important point. Fonus isn't registered as a registered telecommunications provider or MVNO in Canada. See CRTC's List of Registered Telecommunications Providers.

More red flags:

1. Fonus Inc. is showing a Quebec phone number on the credit card statements (according to posts on RFD). Fonus isn't registered as a business in Quebec.
  2. Their website was slapped together on Wix. Any kid in their basement can do that.
  3. Fonus has no physical Canadian address or contact information.
  4. Fonus uses a generic gmail account to communicate with customers including for orders. They don't even have email with their domain on it.
  5. The SIMs ship from China and can take 30 days or more. That would mean it's past the point where someone could dispute the charge on their credit card.
  6. The CEO is in Shenzhen, not Canada.
  7. The CEO also deleted more than 40 comments he made on his recent Reddit AMA.
  8. The SIM card alone is $40. Then you pay another $40 for the first month of service.

I wouldn't trust any claims from Fonus. It still looks like a scam.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk 

Hey Nighthawk

Ya, I have been following all the posts on Reddit.  And everything you have said I have already seen.  You forgot to mention his previous failed venture as CEO of Neptune, and his PINE Watches that many people that backed him are furious about for not receiving product or their money back as promised.

The only thing you provided that doesn't appear to be correct is, Simon Tian is based in Quebec, he is just IN Hong Kong right now, at least apparently he is.  I am sure he always could have been, and just played the posse.  He brought over a Redditor for proof, but the general thoughts on that from skeptics of  Fonus, is that Georgio, the guy that he brought over, was all along on reddit bring the hype and was on his payroll from the get go.

I agree, I don't trust any claims.  But I would really like Telus to actually reply back regarding this.  It's not that I doubt you NightHawk, we both have the same info on this whole thing, and agree with eachother  I just can't believe all these hard core followers are so PRO FONUS and not seeing past the BS. I just want Telus to comment.  Whether it's here, or a MOD here puts this up the chain of command and Telus puts out a statement in regards to this whole deal.  I can't understand IF they are backing this, why they would not issue a statement proving it, and if they are NOT, why they are not issuing a statement to protect their customers.  It all makes now sense.  I want some clarity on this.

My largest concern is, how could he possibly get away with saying Telus is the backbone for this long if it's not in fact true?  

I know people that have emailed the CRTC but no replies as of yet.

@SupaDude YES!  Exactly.  I keep getting replies telling me it's a scam, etc.  I KNOW IT IS!

As nice as it is, that people are replying to my initial inquiry, I know everything they are already replying with.

What I don't know is why Telus would do this, and if they EVEN ARE or if this is all a scam with some HUGE

fraudulent activity to boot 

What are you expecting TELUS to say?   I expect that their lawyers would  advise against calling Fonus a scam.

They are also constrained by legal and privacy regulations about what they can say.

@rc I am only asking for confirmation that they are the Backbone for Fonus.  That is now public info at least as per Fonus.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Some more reading: https://medium.com/@eyesno/my-exchange-with-the-ceo-of-fonus-inc-eb330c8934e7

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk 

Ya, I saw that, I have been talking to that guy on Reddit.  Apparently, to date no one that has asked for a refund has received it

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Looks like on Reddit, Simon says he plans to incorporate in Bhutan and use a carrier there. If that's the case I'm strongly suspecting he hasn't partnered with Telus at all and it's just a false claim on his Wix website to get people to part with their money more easily.

@Nighthawk 

Yup good ol' Bhutan.  Where you don't have to register with the CRTC, or be charged with fraud after you run away with everyones money for a second failed venture.  He must have learned from his prior mistakes with Neptune, not to base the Company in Canada this time.

Although they have later come out and said they have nothing to do with it, I fail to understand why you'd be so persistent in wanting Telus to say something.  Why would they even bother with it?   

hehehe... Simon **cancels** the contract with Telus. bwhahahaha

https://www.issuewire.com/fonus-ceo-cancels-5-year-business-relationship-with-telus-1653091691751904

The scammer will have some new scheme. It’s only a matter of time. 🤣

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

For reference, the article that came before it was: https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/carriers/telus-no-relationship-fonus/ or https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/12/14/telus-not-working-with-fonus/ (Dec 14/2019)

Just got my fonus sim and its roaming on telus network so they stealing ur services ? How doesnt any cell provider know about fonus google them they have a website and twitter and there openly saying we roam on telus bell rogers