cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with robocalls

FrostyOfTheNorth
Helpful Neighbour

In the last two months I've been receiving 20-30 calls per day from random international numbers like Morocco, Somalia, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua, Guatemala, Benin, Botswana, El Salvador, Lithuania, Zimbabwe, etc.  Sometimes they call 2-3 times within the spam of a minute, and at all times of day and night.  The rare times that I've answered, there's silence for about 10 seconds before the call goes dead.

How can I put a stop to this?  Since the calls are from a new number each time, blocking the numbers would involve hundreds of numbers and wouldn't stop the calls since they seem to be spoofing random numbers each time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could also consider enabling call control. If those are robocalls or most scam calls, it should filter them out.

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/call-control-for-mobile-devices-explained

One recommendation - if you live in an apartment, condo or strata and have a front door or gate intercom visitors buzz to get in, be sure to white list that number in the call control settings.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You could also consider enabling call control. If those are robocalls or most scam calls, it should filter them out.

https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/call-control-for-mobile-devices-explained

One recommendation - if you live in an apartment, condo or strata and have a front door or gate intercom visitors buzz to get in, be sure to white list that number in the call control settings.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

thank you ,that really help.

Thanks @Nighthawk.  I did already look Call Control, but I don't really want to force clients to whitelist themselves.

I was hoping that there's an option to restrict calls from certain country codes that I never expect to receive calls from (e.g. many of the ones that calls are being spoofed from).

Unfortunately that technology does not exist. Plus all the scammers have to do is spoof local numbers instead and they'd get around that block. 

I've found having call control on for even a few days can help. So if you have a weekend when you're not expecting calls from customers, maybe try turning it on temporarily. 

True, but I don't get many spam calls from local numbers.  98% of them show up as international numbers.

How would having Call Control on for a few days help?  Are you thinking that would deter spam calls even after I turn it off (if I, say, tried it out for a weekend like you suggested)?

ocrametoc
Just Moved In

I have a similar problems , i join the neighbour platform to find out if anybody else was in this situation and if anything was being done about it.

BenoitYVR
Organizer

I use the Silence Unknown Caller on iphone. Basically what it does is limit the incoming calls to number on your contact list. If the number is not on your contact list, it sends the call to voicemail. Your phone doesn't ring but you'll see a notification. It works like a charme and has been a real life saver.

That just might be the answer.  Thanks for the suggestion.