cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Coverage Westridge, Edmonton

Flyhughes
Organizer
It’s probably a long shot finding anyone here from the Westridge area of Edmonton. The cell coverage has always been atrocious. Wi-Fi calling is a necessity. There’s a tower not far away (2-3 Kms), but reception drops off a cliff about a 1 km east of it. I’ve complained but no response.
8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

There's a tower at 170 St and 69 Ave. Is that the tower you're referring to? That's well under 2KM from pretty much all of Westridge since that area is rather small.

Is it just your phone or are others affected?

What phone do you have?

Who have you complained to and how?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Yep that’s the tower. You're right, it’s about 1.5 km from me as the crow flies. Problem exits for everyone in my immediate area, including my wife. We both have iPhone 12 Pros, but our iPhone Xs had the same issue as do any guests. I’ve complained a couple times online and my wife phoned. We were told the engineers would have a look at it, but ultimately a new tower may be needed.

Thanks for the reply.

Honestly, while there have been more dropped calls with wifi calling off, it’s really the 5G speeds that have disappointed. Only 7 Mbps.

Alright... maybe around 30 Mbps when I lock the phone to 5G. It’s 10X faster at the tower.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Are the reception issues primarily when you're inside your home or do you have the same issue when outside?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks again. The issue exists outside as well, from my second story balcony facing the tower. The bars went up to 3 but speed test results were identical to inside the house.

I will check speeds at the tower again.

4 bars and 100 Mbps approximately ¼ to ½ of
a km from the tower.

Just drops off a cliff.

A Telus rep was recently going door to door promoting Telus products. At our front door, she noticed that her cell reception was extremely poor. She promised to bring up the issue when she got back to office. It was satisfying to have a Telus employee witness the problem. Telus - can you please have your engineers take a look.