CRTC Emergency Broadcast to Cell phones

tigger5
Helpful Neighbour

@Syaoran ..I hope your info helps others...myself, using an iPhone and do not see any way to disable this.

Syaoran
Rockstar

I'm sure it will.  I was a little vague because I am not too sure what the policy here is on disabling emergency apps and also messing with apps with system permissions and protections.  I know some carriers hate it when people mess with their devices.  Root obviously is a little different than ADB commands though, which are baked right into Android.  

tigger5
Helpful Neighbour

@Syaoran ...It should not matter about what is disabled/enabled, added/removed etc in YOUR phone...you bought it...you should be able to do as you want...only exception I believe is valid is the "unlocking" until at least your contract is up....

Community Power User
Community Power User
If your on a cell network it’s a privilege to be on it, not a right. Even if you pay the bill there are rules. Telus is following the law. Vent to the CRTC they made the rules carriers must follow.

Don’t see why it’s such a big deal the amount of local alerts you get will be minimal. Might even see some aliens 👽

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Syaoran
Rockstar

Because some of us live by big cities like Toronto.  The amount of idiots here doing stupid things, it would be worse than having a roommate that lets their alarm clock go off a few dozen times before getting out of bed!  

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

How many such alerts do you, friends, or family see on TV or hear on local radio in the run of a year? I recall less than one per decade in my location. Even in large cities, I expect it will be relatively few - the bar for broadcast is exceedingly high. There are far more frequent interruptions to both my sleep, and my day that will bother me far more than these rare events.

By way of example between 2003 and 2012, Canada issued 64 Amber Alerts (none Canada-wide) involving 73 abducted children. Of those, 70 were recovered and returned safely and three died. This is fewer than one alert per month somewhere in Canada.  I'll also bet that many folks in Ft. McMurray would have appreciated a simple, co-ordinated notification reaching everyone in timely fashion in 2016, when the town was evacuated.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
BillTelusCust
Ambassador

I concur with you that I expect the disruption to be minimal and the benefit to be significant.  The radio and tv aren't on the way they used to be.

I do wonder if it will come through on my iphone when it is in "do not disturb" mode.  I use that now so that scammers and others are not disturbing me at night,  Particularly when they think I am in Canada and I am in Europe, sleeping, when they are calling in the "daytime".  Maybe I will switch one phone to "do not disturb" for the test to see how it goes.

tigger5
Helpful Neighbour

@WestCoasterBC ... yes...privilage (maybe) for the network and follow their rules concerning the network...as for the phone...no....same as your tv, house, refrigerator etc...you buy it, you decide how you use it and what you put on or in it....

tigger5
Helpful Neighbour

@NFtoBC ...again...remember the "lowest" bider...and how long will it be before they decide alerts are warranted for (example...should be able to get the jist of this) for winds reaching 20km an our, or temps above 25'C ??????....

Again, thanks but no thanks, I do not need a bureaucrat deciding for me what justifies an alert

Lola
Rockstar

Again, the issue is not how often alerts may arrive; the issue is that we can't opt out.

There are people like myself with inner ear diseases that force us to cancel all "electronic" noises we can possibly cancel, because our ear nerves can't un-hear electronic sounds once heard. I have only the ring sound on my phone, very low.  Now, with alert testing coming, I have no sound. The noise is a health risk to me. So yes, I'd like an opt-out on my own devices, for medical reasons.

@Syaoran-- Thanks for offering suggestions. Cat LOL

Community Power User
Community Power User

From the AlertReady website:

“A compatible wireless device that is set to silent will display an emergency alert, but you might not hear the emergency alert sound. The emergency alert sound will usually play at whatever the current volume setting is on the wireless device, so if your wireless device is set to silent, no sound will accompany the emergency alert message. However, this behaviour can differ depending on your wireless device and in some instances the alert sound may override your user settings.”

NFtoBC
xl CPU Alum
CPU Alum
Pop up just worked on my phone.

Couldn't, tell if there was a sound as I had the "do not disturb" enabled.
Community Power User
Community Power User
I had ringer turned off, so only received visual notification.
Also received notification from Weather Network App.
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Worked like a charm, much better then radio or tv alerts. The alert sound wasn’t as bad as the TV ones for the monthly test.

548696D9-77EB-4FD5-91A2-4580BED13000.png

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
BillTelusCust
Ambassador

Emergency Alert Test.PNG

Lola
Rockstar
If you go into your message settings on Android you'll find "emergency alert settings," and you can turn off emergency alerts. I just toggled them all off. Also there’s a sound sample, and if notification sound is set to silent, the sample is silent. The alert didn't override my silent settings today.