cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Data Only Plan

Darkbob
Organizer

I'm looking for a data plan for my cottage in Saskatchewan.  Unfortunately the rural "TELUS High Speed Internet with Smart Hub" plan is only Alberta and BC - not available in Saskatchewan.  😞

I've got my own hub and I've tested it with my cell phone SIM.  Now all I need is a new SIM card and a generous data plan.  Looks like the "other guys" offer plans up to 50GB/Month for around $150.  I can't find any Telus plan over 20GB.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Some business plans offer greater data allotments. Otherwise, you may need to go where the grass is greener.  Since Telus does not own any cellular infrastructure in Saskatchewan, they can't offer the same options as they can on their own network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Some business plans offer greater data allotments. Otherwise, you may need to go where the grass is greener.  Since Telus does not own any cellular infrastructure in Saskatchewan, they can't offer the same options as they can on their own network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

I called and spoke to the Telus business people and the Telus consumer people.  No luck.  Telus has some great rural plans for BC or Alberta using a Hub system but nothing for Sask other than using your cell as a mobile hot spot.

Are we allowed to talk about non-Telus plans and options?  If so... here's what I found.  

Sasktel has a couple unlimited plans.  With limits obviously.  Nobody's honest it seems.  The best plan that Sasktel offers is the VIP 80 plan.  It's only available for Saskatchewan business owners.  I do have a Saskatchewan business so I qualify but there are other unlimited consumer plans for $90 - $130 or so.  The VIP 80 gets you 15GB 4G LTE data then unlimited 3G from that point on.  I assume if you downloaded too much they would find a way to limit your unlimited.  But for $80 it's a decent (by Canadian standards) plan.

I looked at all the travel SIM card options on Ebay and Amazon.  Lots of scams, gotchas.  A bogus travel hub, etc.  If you have a US address and credit card (I do) it's fairly simple to buy a SIM card from Tmobile then sign up for a plan.  You can get about 5GB then buy a travel pack top-up.  AT&T has similar options.  All with limits and "on network" requirements.  It's all in USD and seems like a lot of hassle for just a month and a half at the cottage even if it does work. 

After researching literally everything I decided my internet was more important than my bank account.  So I reluctantly went with Bell.  They have a couple plans that give you expensive but unthrottled internet.  I picked the Mobile Internet Plus plan.  That Plus plan starts at 5GB for $60 and goes up to 50GB for $150.  They bill you for what you use so that's a bit more flexible.

Probably the best option is give up on internet at the cottage and just go fishing.  🙂