cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BYOD: Minimum cost

GregoryL
Friendly Neighbour

Already a client but recently purchased a new iPhone. How much should I expect to pay for the low-end of a BYOD plan?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sharing a plan between two people should be about $140 with nation-wide calling for each user, and 3 GB / month of shared data. If only one person, you should be in the $90 per month range.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
All TELUS plans are listed in the “Shop” or “Mobility” link at the top of the page. Check the shared plans for the best price on plans for multiple users on an account.
NFtoBC

GregoryL
Friendly Neighbour

The plans somewhat evaporate when you logon to your account and view the "My Telus" page. I'm an existing client. According to the interface, if I bring my unlocked iPhone to the party, I should expect to pay $110/month. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Since I can’t see your account page, would you care to describe the price differences you see between the public and private pricing, as what you describe sounds like a non-shared plan?
NFtoBC

GregoryL
Friendly Neighbour

The cheapest option for talk/data that's offered via my account page is $110/month -- and that's before "options" are even considered.

Looking at the various providers, BYOD non-shared plans seem to be priced in the $45 - $70 range. (That's for CDN-wide coverage and a limited data plan -- which is all I really need). 

I just wonder if my research is mostly accurate or whether I'll really be spending 100+ per month. Just want to verify these little details before I start the ugly process of haggling for the best deal.

(Sorry for the delayed response and thank you for responding to my question.)

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sharing a plan between two people should be about $140 with nation-wide calling for each user, and 3 GB / month of shared data. If only one person, you should be in the $90 per month range.

NFtoBC

GregoryL
Friendly Neighbour

Wow. More expensive than I thought, especially considering that I'm bringing my own device. I guess I'll probably be leaving Telus after so many years with them. Thanks for the feedback.

Telus doesn't make their cheaper plans easy to find ... you have to scroll down to near the bottom of the website pages to find Voice/Text plans.  There is a Voice 45 plan - $45 per month with unlimited Canada-wide minutes - and then you can pas as you go data - 25 cents per Mb or $15 for 150 Mbs - but if you poke further into Add-ons you can get data top ups 500 Mb $15, 1 Gb $22, or 2 Gb $32 (but you have to add those yourself each billing cycle).

So you can do things for pretty much the same cost as advertised by other carriers but yo uhave to work at it.  Personally I think you should phone Telus or use Chat and tell them you what you want and what you are willing to pay - or else you will leave Telus - and see what they offer.