cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 phones, 1 phone number

dankaroundtheworld
Friendly Neighbour

I currently have an iPhone 11 Pro with Telus, and have recently been sent a Light Phone 2

The company sent me the device so I could test it across our various cell providers here in Saskatchewan.

The Light Phone is a great solution for those looking to step away from the digital space from time to time... it essentially offers call/text, alarm, calculator, and that's it... No social apps or anything. 

For myself, I'm looking to incorporate it into my life as an evening and weekend phone, using my iphone during business hours, and my Light Phone 2 as my evening and weekend warrior.

The issue I've come to is that Telus does not offer the ability to have 2 phones across 1 number. They have call forwarding that works from iPhone to iPhone. But no ability to have two separate SIM cards connected to the same cell phone number.

This would be AMAZING if they could find away to make this happen. It seems like there is starting to be a push towards less social media influence in our day to day lives, and while it's pretty much impossible at this point to fully disconnect, I think the Light Phone is a perfect solution offering enough tools to not make you miss your Smart Phone during the evenings and weekends, and also allowing you a bit of a disconnect.

I will currently have to swap my SIM card, but this isn't ideal as if someone were to text me a picture on the iPhone, it would be lost into the abyss if my Light Phone had my SIM card in it instead of my iPhone. Plus the hassle of constantly swapping it every day is blah.

What do you guys think? Is this something that you could see being useful for some people in the future? Or am I one of one?

Thanks for listening to my rant... it would be deadly to see if Telus chimes in on this!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

To answer your question, I don't think any mainstream provider in Canada offers two phones, one number. Like it was previously said, there's a limited market for that to justify the expense. The only potential option is to ask Telus to convert your iPhone SIM to an eSIM, but that will likely deactivate the physical SIM, so you'd be in the same boat. Your best bet may be to get a pay as you go talk and text plan and call forward from your iPhone.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I really don't see the want or need in the market place for the phone. AS you see you have to fumble between two phones. They already make dual sim phones for work and play on the same device.

Beside catering to a very small market where it would be good to throw in a glove box (although any non activated phone can get 911 for free). It serves more as a phone for the elderly people, children or someone who wants the very basic of owning a cheap phone that does minimal things.

Someone who already owns a smart phone won't buy this to curb social media etc.

that must be why they raised 4.5 million dollars to back the project then -- you're right, no support at all

xray
Hero

What you are asking for is impossible on the cellular network. There's no guarantee that both SIMs would be connected to the same cell tower let alone on the same network.  Imagine asking Canada Post to deliver your mail to both your primary home and your cottage at the same time.

I don't understand the market this light phone is targeting. Any phone can be turned into a light phone by turning off WiFi and data. As for not running any apps that feature is called self control and we should all have it built in.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Most people who suggest this really want two subscriptions for the price of one. 

The closest the OP can get is call forwarding to the test phone in the evenings, but it will receive calls only, not texts.

Self-control is the better management technique.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

hahaha, wow the people on this message board are lame keyboard warriors -- self control to the digital space is easy to say to a 50 something year old who grew up with the radio... but to anyone under 30 indoctrinated into the smart phone lifestyle to where our childhoods existed in tandem with our devices, it's quite a different story.

you should go hug someone

nothing is impossible xray.... nothing.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The first half of the original post reads more like an advertisement then anything else.

@dankaroundtheworld  If you are in Saskatchewan, you're wasting your time as there are only two types of towers in the province. Rogers, in very specific areas along highways 1, 7, 11, and 16. Everything else is SaskTel. Telus and Bell share SaskTel's towers. So basically testing any phone in that province is a waste of time. Telus, Bell and SaskTel will all have the same result.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

You sound salty Nighthawk. Someone play your drums recently errrr?

Why can't the Light Room work on SaskTel cell phone towers?

giantbrownguy
Rockstar

To answer your question, I don't think any mainstream provider in Canada offers two phones, one number. Like it was previously said, there's a limited market for that to justify the expense. The only potential option is to ask Telus to convert your iPhone SIM to an eSIM, but that will likely deactivate the physical SIM, so you'd be in the same boat. Your best bet may be to get a pay as you go talk and text plan and call forward from your iPhone.

Yeah I’ll probably just swap out my SIM card. I appreciate your response man! At least you’re trying to be helpful 🙏

It just isn't set up that way. It is technically feasible, but not on the software that any mobile company in Canada (or likely elsewhere) uses at the moment. I have removed apps like Facebook and Linked in from my mobile devices.  Good luck in finding a solution - it might not be two phones though.