10GB PLAN for $60 and phone upgrade question?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

Thanks so much for the reply. It works. But if I change the APN by myself, Does the data belong to 10GB? Will the telus charge me extra fee?

Highlighted
Resident

I am having the same issues. In store, they told me they are honoring it for existing customers but we had to call customer support. Not sure why they are so unprepared for a promotion.

Highlighted
Resident
It applies to existing customers. I was able to switch today.
Highlighted
Resident
They were slammed today so I feel for the staff. I wouldn’t have jumped away from Telus so soon though. I was 919 in line for online chat, waited hours and then got disconnected. Tried the phone, waited for hours again and finally switched with ease. Rogers, Fido and Bell are only offering theirs for 24 months where Telus has this offer with no expiry for as long as you have the plan. Perhaps that’s why they were so busy today because 24mths is crap.
Highlighted
Resident

I also thought it was epp2@telus.com - can someone confirm what the email address is? (And maybe spell it phonetically in the recorded message?)

Highlighted
Neighbour
When does it give you an email? I've had to call multiple times cause the IVR just hangs up on me after 2 hours of waiting.. not once have I heard anything about an email
Resident

I hear this message after I enter my current phone number and get redirected to the "Corporate [Accounts] Main Menu".

So it's probably only for those people who are part of a corporate discount plan or EPP (Employee Purchase Program).

Highlighted
Resident

hello

being a loyal customer for a long time with telus and wanting the deal of $60 for increase of data to 10GB.

i have been to the Telus store where they said they can not help with this concern and i need to call or use the chat online.

the problem is i have been trying to call all day. can not get through. I was 196th on the queue on the telus chat. Next time i tried i was 1130 on the queue as i have a life to live. if there is a deal should we be able to receive it? Can i please get some help. Obviously all customers want this deal and should be able to receive it? Please help......I know this deal is only today only so how does this make all customers feel who werent able to get through?

Highlighted
Neighbour

i waited multiple times and got disconnected everytime since wednesday! Sent an email with no reply...tried live chat but 1248 people ahead of me... then waited 45 minutes this morning and got disconnected so tried again during the day and got disconnected again after 25 minutes...so tried on the way home ans spent 2 hours before getting disconnected again!

Very frustrating...been with telus for over 18 years....

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
I just switched over to Telus from Koodo for the 10GB/$60 plan. I also tether to another phone from time to time and have not been able to do it with this new plan. The other phone connects but it cannot access the internet. Very frustrating.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@SteveMc Already answered in a thread you posted. You don’t need to hijack another thread. https://forum.telus.com/t5/Mobility-Services/Phones-connected-to-my-hotspot-can-t-access-the-interne...

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Resident

let us know the follow cup response if you can! Thanks for sharing

Highlighted
Neighbour

I've been waiting on chat to get switched to the 10gb/$60 plan. When I started two hours ago there 1140 ahead of me. Half an hour ago there were 178, and that number hasn't gone down. I'm afraid I've been frozen out and will have to start over again. Is that what this means?

Highlighted
Neighbour

Here's a tip to everyone. Don't refresh the page if you're waiting to chat with a Telus rep. I just did that and now am back to 1241 ahead of me. After 2 1/2 hours. This is ridiculous.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
I made that thread before reading this one. Not trying to hijack it. Someone else mentioned the same issue I was having so I wanted to let them know they weren't alone.
Highlighted
Neighbour

No, Bell is permanent I am sure.

Highlighted
Coach
No, Rogers is NOT offering it for only 24 months. The promo is permanent for as long as you keep the plan. I have confirmed this with multiple Rogers reps today including a couple of managers. They initially capped it to 24 months but then changed it to make it permanent.
Highlighted
Resident

Hi, I was connected with Telus today 3 times for 2 hrs. each time...total 6 hrs... and was disconnected...Why they tell you to wait for 2 hrs and then drop the line...

Also I went to the store...but of course they cannot help you, expect to sell a new phone...

This is ridiculous, they told me to call customer service... I’m asking what service? Nothing works...

For the new phone they  add 25$ what will be a 85$ plan after 2 year term...

I think that, the cost of the phone has nothing to do with the phone plan...

Because you have to pay for it one way or the other...There’s no subsidy from phone company...

Highlighted
Resident

I am saying goodbye to telus as well. After 8 years it is over because telus offers NEW customers 10gb plan for $60.00 per month, but they will not give it to loyal customers which have completed the 2 year contract. I was paying $85.00 per month for 6 gb and only 200 minutes of talk time.  I went to Rodgers and got unlimited everything and 10 gb for $60.00.  I am going to cancel my optic tv tomorrow as I have been on hold for over 3 hours with telus support..   Bye Bye telus !!!!

Highlighted
Good Samaritan

I just got this plan. Should anyone be generous enough and send me a PM on how to save some money on my next bill, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident
So if I'm an existing Telus customer with a current shared account and have a balance owing on both phones I can't get the 10gb for $60 offer?
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
So how come it was offering 10GB data with unlimited nationwide talk and text. Did this plan come up in the far past or something
Highlighted
Good Samaritan

It's to do with Freedom and how Rogers was testing the water...all the carriers mirror one another. From a per gigabyte price point, this deal can't be beat with the major carriers. Only the foolish would consider Freedom but I'm thankful they stirred the pot.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
You must have a $0.00 device balance.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Resident
So if I pay off my device balance I can still get it with two phones sharing the data?
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
The BYOD 10GB for $60 is not a shared data plan. Each phone would have NON shareable data of 10gb per device.

As stated your device balance have to be paid off first.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@haoxiaotian Your on the 10Gb plan and not being charged extra.. You’ve just changed the access point name APN it’s what telus uses.

Highlighted
Resident
Why isn't there a link online or in myaccout to get on this plan?
Highlighted
Connector

Their support channels are always clogged up for hours. They keep raising prices supposedly to bring new tech and features but are ignoring the most important part Customer Service. Why is this? Why can Shaw (which i despise as a corporation ) get it right? Why is there no call back feature like Shaw has? Are they too busy building condo towers?

Highlighted
Resident

@Kimi wrote:

Their support channels are always clogged up for hours. They keep raising prices supposedly to bring new tech and features but are ignoring the most important part Customer Service. Why is this? Why can Shaw (which i despise as a corporation ) get it right? Why is there no call back feature like Shaw has? Are they too busy building condo towers?

All of the mobile carriers have poor customer service, just in different ways.

Telus has pretty good social media presence. Under normal conditions their phone service is good, but they should bring back their "call me back" version they had 15 years ago. That would have solved this. Telus's hiring system is ridiculous, giving you quizzes and simulations on 20 year old software.

Rogers ignores social media. After one heated call with Rogers I refused to ever call them again. Their people at the store will tell you to call in to change personal info, their call center people will tell you to go to the store. Basically Rogers doesn't care about existing customers. Rogers doesn't even care about the type of staff they hire, as they have the most impersonal hiring system of the four, where you never get a call back unless you make yourself look like sales is your life in their personality quiz.

Shaw is new to the mobile game, but Shaw, like Rogers, seems to care more about acquiring new customers than saving existing ones. Shaw's hiring process consists of multiple layers of interviews, but at least you get one, unlike Telus and Rogers.

Don't get me started on Bell. It's like, why even bother.

But to keep this on topic. The "60$ National plan with 10GB" is a big deal, but it appears to only be provisionable as a "retention" plan, possibly by a retention department. This is typical of how competative services work. Before LNP (Local Number Portability) you had to cancel your phone by calling your mobile carrier, say you want to cancel, and you'd get sent to the retention department and offered save offers before you canceled. Then you went to the new carrier and got the new plan, number and locked into a 2 year contract or so. If you canceled before your contract was up, you got hit with anything from $125 to $450 in cancellation fees. Today, people just go directly to whoever offers the best deal, so the save offers pretty much have to be created with less than a days notice.

Nobody in their right mind would switch to Freedom Mobile unless they live in downtown Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton or Toronto and don't travel. They have no coverage anywhere else. https://opensignal.com/networks/canada/wind-mobile-coverage and compare that with Telus/Rogers/Bell. If you zoom in, you'll also notice that Telus's coverage is primarily in the West, and only in city cores out east, and the opposite is true of Bell. Rogers has coverage in all the city cores, but weak coverage outside of it. Just look at Highway 1. So no carrier can actually advertise "best coverage" because their coverage maps are all swiss cheese, and they all rely on each other to make it look more solid.