cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can someone please explain the prices for the iPhone 5c, 5, and 4S?

dobes
Coach

At full price, a brand new 16 GB iPhone 5c is $599. Last year's model, a 16 GB iPhone 5 is -- $699. And a TWO-year old model, the iPhone 4S, which cannot use LTE networks and will probably be supported by Apple for only another year or two -- $649.  In what universe (other than Greedy Universe) does that even begin to make sense? Can anyone explain it?

4 REPLIES 4

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Hmm...

dobes
Coach

1) I was quoting the prices on the Telus website. 2) Apple had different phones and prices - no iPhone 5 available directly from Apple, and the only 4S is only 8 GB, for $450, so it doesn't look like the prices were set by Apple. 3) I am fairly new to Canada and had NO IDEA about the Future Shop. I wish I had read your reply before I paid the full $600 for an unlocked iPhone 5c at the Apple store today. I do have a monthly Telus account, but I wonder if that price still has a hidden balance? If not, I will bookmark the Future Shop, though I certainly wonder why Telus would not offer such good prices through its own website. 

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Welcome to Canada.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWDXE9Pbjic

For starters you need to understand the difference between Apple, carrier and reseller products.  Or more specifically what "unlocked" means and why it costs more.

Locked phones from carriers and resellers are cheaper, but you are obligated to a contract of a few years to cover the cost of a subsidized phones.  Unlocked phones cost more because the phones are not subsidized by a carrier, but an unlocked phone is great for travel as you can switch carriers by just changing the SIM (as long as the phone supports the frequencies).

As I plan to use the same carrier for several years.... I have no problems signing up for a multi-year contract to take advantage of a reduced phone costs.  It may cost me $35 to have the phone unlocked, but it's still cheaper than purchasing a direct locked phone.

dobes
Coach

Thanks for your reply, but I do understand that - I just thought that the Future Shop prices were for unlocked phones. I was looking for an unlocked phone, because I am happy with my $35/month (inc. tax) Telus plan, but both Rogers and Telus wanted a minimum contract of $70/month before taxes to get the subsidized phone. A $129 subsidized base price plus $40/month more than I pay now x 24 months would mean a total price of $1089, considerably more than the $600 Apple charged for the unlocked phone, which I have now connected to my $35/month Telus plan.  What I was hoping, though, was that Telus would reduce the price of its stock of iPhone 5 and 4S. Instead, buying those phones unlocked from Telus cost both more than the brand new iPhones (unlocked) and more than Apple charges for those phones. That's what made no sense to me, and that's what I was questioning.