Where is support for the eSIM?

DeanLubaki
Connector

I’m on the verge of switching my 5 lines to Bell.

Why is TELUS not supporting eSIM yet? Can people opt in some sort of beta to get early access?

Community Power User
Community Power User

Word on the street is Bell has an exclusive on the e-SIM for 3(?) months, as they had with the Apple Watch with Cellular. Expect availability soon, if such is the case.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
DeanLubaki
Connector

Impossible.

eSIM is a GSMA standard, and so no one can claim exclusivity on it.
The iPhone and any other compliant eSIM device (like the Pixel 3) doesn't require approval from the OEM (like Apple).

You can read more about eSIM on thread I created on MacRumors: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-dual-sim-q-a.2150226/

DeanLubaki
Connector

Also, the Apple Watch was another situation.

The Apple Watch has an eSIM, but it's locked down and not GSMA compliant. You can't just input manually the information like the SM-DP+ address to activate it. Apple controls what carriers can be activated with it. That's why Bell was (possibly) able to get dibs on it.

The iPhone XS/XR and iPad Pro 3rd gen are GSMA compliant and Apple does not control what carrier can be activated on eSIM.

Community Power User
Community Power User

@DeanLubaki wrote:

The iPhone XS/XR and iPad Pro 3rd gen are GSMA compliant and Apple does not control what carrier can be activated on eSIM.

Well Apple seems to be doing just that. Instead of allowing it to be activated for all carriers at once, Apple appears to be doing it on a case by case basis. Some countries like the UK still only have 1 carrier supported/authorized. Also Apple likes money so them offering an exclusive deal to one carrier isn't unheard of. They've done it before.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
DeanLubaki
Connector

Nope.
If you took the time to read the link I've sent, Apple is not blocking anything.
Apple just has a list of carriers with whom they have agreement with, but that doesn't prevent people from activating the eSIM manually from a carrier who supports the standard. Again, here's the link: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-dual-sim-q-a.2150226/%C2%A0 

Thanks.

DeanLubaki
Connector

I'm just realizing this website is modifying the link for some reason.
Try this: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/esim-dual-sim-q-a.2150226/

Meowmix
Advisor
Don't bother with Dean. He thinks he knows it all but has been called out way to many times. Even after what happened with Apple.

He took Apple to court over his problems with the Apple Watch. He didn't listen to Apple when they offered him a free replacement. He declined. He then was told they would give him the money back and declined. So he tried to take it to court and everyone made fun of him.

Little does be know that Apple only approved and authorized Bell to use the ESIM before anyone else in Canada for both the Apple Watch and the iPhones. Little does he also know that just because ESIM is is a standard, that doesn't stop Apple and carriers to make exclusive payments to have only one or two carriers to offer it. As you said only one carrier in the Uk offered it at the time..

Rogers and Telus are still waiting for the Green light from Apple to let them use the ESIM function.. money talks Mr Dean as you may know... So Apple can pick whoever they want and the carriers are open to pay up as much as they want to use this function.

If Telus and Rogers don't want to oh as much as Bell? Then they won't be able to use this. I don't see it anywhere within the CRTC that the ESIM is supposed to work with all carriers and there is no exlsusive rights for this... Please provide a link from the CRTC or any Canadian telecommunications source and not some site that posts leaks and information from others.
DeanLubaki
Connector

That's cute @Meowmix, but I actually did take Apple to court, and we settled.
If you know anything about taking a company to court, you should be able to read between the lines and know what settling means.

@Meowmix wrote:
If Telus and Rogers don't want to oh as much as Bell? Then they won't be able to use this. I don't see it anywhere within the CRTC that the ESIM is supposed to work with all carriers and there is no exlsusive rights for this... Please provide a link from the CRTC or any Canadian telecommunications source and not some site that posts leaks and information from others.

That's because you haven't looked anywhere but up your...
It's documented in a lot of forums that as long as your carrier supports eSIM, you can activate it on the iPhone, even if Apple doesn't support it officially.
Oh also, my eSIM thread has been pinned permanently on MacRumors, has been viewed more than 44,000 times, and has above 400 comments, but yeah... What do I know about eSIM?
I was also the first person on the Bell network to have the eSIM activated but again... What do I know?

Meowmix
Advisor
Once again Dean.. Please provide a actually form of link or source from the CRTC, Apple or Canadian carriers which can clearly states that all carriers should have it, if one already does.

Your making it out to look like Telus doesn't support it. What if it does internally and they are testing it OR better yet how about Bell? Which had exlsusive rights to the Apple Watch which uses ESIM for 3 months until Telus got it last December?.

Just because one site on make forums which has over 400 comments means u know everything? Let's be honest dean. You don't. You don't know what is happening behind the scenes and you are going based on what others are saying on another forum.

Why aren't you complaining about all the other carriers in Canada which at th moment aren't using ESIM?. Hmm i haven't seen you in the Rogers forums. You may be using Telus and Telus may be ur carrier but with how you talk, why not make post there too? Or ask MS to make a post on why only Bell uses ESIM and no one else?...
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Meowmix wrote:
Rogers and Telus are still waiting for the Green light from Apple to let them use the ESIM function.. money talks Mr Dean as you may know... So Apple can pick whoever they want and the carriers are open to pay up as much as they want to use this function.

According to the Apple website, checked today, Rogers now offers eSIM connectivity. This is a recent change, as they did not initially offer it. It is now just one 3 months since the iPhone eSIM compatible phones were released. Maybe Telus will offer it shortly.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Meowmix
Advisor
@NFtoBC

Rogers does not offer it.. That's a mistake on their end and Apple hasn't removed it yet.

" Hello Community!

Just to clear up any confusion, we currently do not support the eSIM.

At this time, you can only use a physical SIM card for your Rogers or Fido line and the eSIM can be used for another plan with another carrier.

I wish I had more information to share with regards to potential future eSIM support but this is all the info I have to share at the moment.

Regards,
RC"

That was posted on Saturday from a Rogers Employee on their forums..
Meowmix
Advisor
Hello @NFtoBC

Also whomever at Apple put that on, did it well over a week ago. Above I posted a reply from a Rogers Employee on Saturday ( 4 days ago) which states Rogers does not support it / let's it's customers use ESIM at the moment.
DeanLubaki
Connector

Can you put up the link from Rogers or TELUS where they say they are waiting for Apple's green light? Thanks!

Until you do, that's nothing but air.

@Meowmix wrote:
Meowmix
Advisor
@DeanLubaki

I posted above that Rogers doesn't support it yet. However within links of of a OOP ( I'm sure u know what OOP means). They have advised some of us ( some that work with Rogers head office mobile division) that Apple hasn't given Rogers the green light yet. It's known that Bell paid more money to use this feature before anyone else. It's Bell and I'm sure u know this.

Stop acting like you know so much then everyone else. You don't. This is why some don't pay attention to you. You did the same thing when you cried all over MS and other sites with ur situation with Apple. I don't care if you don't want to listen to me or not. That's your problem.
DeanLubaki
Connector

Not sure how "waiting for Apple's green light" means that Bell paid for exclusivity. Also, saying "it"s known that Bell paid more money" without providing supporting evidence, is not an argument.
So, air pretty much.

Thanks!

P.S. just do like "some who don't pay attention to me" and move on to another thread.

DeanLubaki
Connector

Also, can you stop making this Apple centric?
This post is not only about Apple's iPhone. Not only the iPhone support eSIM, and Apple did not invent the standard. They're only pushing it.

Meowmix
Advisor
@DeanLubaki

If it's internally then how is one supposed to provide proof?. Most carriers and companies keep things like this hush hush. Last year a Bell rep leaked out that Bell had paid more to have the Apple Watch exlsusive to them thus able to use ESIM for it.

Some tech sites reported it but Bell quickly shut those pages down. One including MS which Ian made and was told to remove it within a couple of minutes of it being up.

Jsut because you think you know it all, doesn't mean you do.

Take care and have a goodnight!
DeanLubaki
Connector

Leaks.
As I said earlier, I am not questioning the Apple Watch exclusivity allegations. The Apple Watch has an eSIM that is not open and that doesn't allow any carrier to be activated on it like it's the case for the iPhone.

What's questionable, is that Apple would tell Rogers and TELUS to not implement a feature that doesn't even only concern iPhones because Bell paid for that.
In other words, it's as if Bell paid Apple to have exclusivity on the Name Caller ID, and then Apple said to Rogers and TELUS "you can't have that" because Bell paid for the exclusivity on it.

The nuance is that the iPhone has support for the full GSMA standard. The Apple Watch doesn't. That's why Apple would have been able to make it exclusive to them.

Now if you tell me that Apple hasn't given the green light to officially support the iPhone, then that's different. But it doesn't prevent TELUS from enabling general support for the eSIM (which would let it work on the Pixel for example).

toyotoys
Helpful Neighbour
Telus is just being slow to prevent churn. As with all carriers resisting eSIM. Also be prepared for your Apple device to be unlocked, if it has a contract forget about moving your service to eSIM. Again to prevent churn. Canadian carriers are the creme de la creme when it comes to shady practices.