Software Update Schedule Discussion

Techjunkie
Advocate
Hello!

I love the beta. It's 100% stable (the last few builds). So it's worth it for me.

No, it doesn't trip Knox as they are still official builds.

Samsung pay disappeared for me, but a factory reset would fix that if i cared.

All Telus features still work as long as you flash the CSC from the latest Telus software after flashing Oreo.
Clouded
Connector
Hmm, very interesting. Exciting if true! Looks like the S7 is going to take quite some time.
Karkutt
Friendly Neighbour
I have a note 8, any word on Canadian timing???
Karkutt
Friendly Neighbour
Any chance you wouldn't mind helping me with the steps to flash it and the telus csc and enable Samsung pay back?
Mustang_Driver
Advisor

I hope Not too long... been waiting for awhile and mines even unlocked... but last night i did get an update that i thought was the big one but was 200+megs and is a security update to february 2018 and has the baseband version number G935W8VLUBRB2

Trident
Connector
Google it, it's easy. It's posted on XDA
Clouded
Connector
Yea I got the Feb Patch too, a few days ago on my A5. (Im on Freedom)
Techjunkie
Advocate
Head to XDA forums. There's a giant thread on it. Read, read and read some more. Smiley Happy
mhinc
Ambassador

@kbieth

Hey thanks for the info.  Question is.  Is that the date Oreo is released to mobile providers in Canada to START testing?  Or do Canadian mobile providers already have Oreo and the expected release date to subscribers is on or around that date?

I am assuming it's just the launch from Samsung to Canada.  Not meaning we will see it OTA from Telus then.

Clouded
Connector
I would assume that would be the release date for Oreo, as the carriers have probably tested for a couple of weeks now
Karkutt
Friendly Neighbour
Ok thank you
mhinc
Ambassador

@Clouded

I doubt Telus would only test for 2 weeks, that's not very typical of them, testing usually takes much longer.

but I guess we shall see

mhinc
Ambassador

Well the schedule has updated and no sign of Oreo on the S8 or S8+ yet Smiley Sad

And in true Telus Fashion, it was updated after the updates they added were already done.  NOT in advance

Community Power User
Community Power User

Samsung had halted the Oreo release due to severe bugs. That happened for past releases also so it's nothing new. They only started releasing a patched version very recently but only for unlocked S8 devices in Germany. About a week ago Samsung expanded the release countries to include India, Poland and a few Nordic countries. Nothing in North America, especially Canada. Canada is one of the last countries Samsung releases updates to carriers for.

Samsung typically is one of the slowest companies to release new versions of Android globally. Average time for a Canadian release is 6-9 months after Google releases it for their devices if past history with the S6 and S7 are any indication.

WIth all the bugs it's not always easy or possible to provide a future ETA for the release. Telus may have a better idea once Samsung decides to include Canada for Oreo. Best bet is to watch this blog for updates > https://www.sammobile.com/tag/oreo/ . Samsung Canada hasn't posted anything on their site for Oreo so far.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
mhinc
Ambassador

@Nighthawk

The "Halt" for rebooting issues, was literally less than a week before rollouts continued.  And I realize that the rollout was currently only to factory unlocked S8s and S8+.  It is my understanding that Telus, as well as the other Canadian Providers, would have already got their hands on Oreo for testing purposes, and given strict guidelines on when they are allowed to release in Canada.

So, a date is still possible, maybe not an exact date, but at least a month.  ie April

Techjunkie
Advocate
It's close, at least in the USA. The CRBB build passed SafetyNet and is Play Store certified. It's 100% stable. I have been running it for a week. In fact, the last several builds have been stable. I haven't come across an issue yet. I can only assume that Canada isn't far behind. It's the same hardware.
mhinc
Ambassador

@Techjunkie

Agreed!  Nighthawk seems to just like to argue and from past post likes to always be correct.  The halt was by no means due to "severe bugs"

That is a HUGE misrepresentation of what happened.  The halt was due to a VERY small percentage of people get random reboots.  And it was corrected and the launch proceeded within a week.

And yes, as you said Techjunkie, the last few releases have been 100% stable.  I agree.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I would consider a bug that causes a device to crash hard enough that it reboots, to be a severe bug.

You are more than welcome to contribute any information or announcements regarding Canadian Oreo release dates, whether from Telus or elsewhere.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
ATelusUser00
Neighbour

Hey, so I've been using the Oreo beta for a while now and am familiar with flashing.

But, I've not been able to get Telus features (voLTE or hd voice) to work on my phone even after I flash CSC (using Comsey).

Would you be willing to message me on XDA (username:distho) or here to describe your CSC flashing process as I may not be doing something right.

You're the only person I've seen confirm that they got Telus features working so I'm a bit excited.

Thanks !

mhinc
Ambassador

@Nighthawk

We don't know the circumstances as to why the devices were rebooting.  It wasn't even considered a "Crash" per say.  It was a small percentage of Oreo users, very small, that had random reboots.  A random reboot by no means implies it was a crash.  There are many reasons a device could reboot without it physically crashing.  

Just as I can't answer to the severity of the reboot issue, nor can you, I tend to not make assumptions and base my info on fact.

And the fact was, Oreo release was halted to correct random reboots on a small percentage of devices and the release resumed less than a week later.