Software Update Schedule Discussion

Khurram
Resident

Thanks God I read your and static416 comment, otherwise I was also thinking to update manually. Telus is very lazy in releasing update.

Community Power User
Community Power User

A solution to the Pixel Update issue is here.  A simple change to your APN should provide a fix. 

Thanks to @maja for posting a solution!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
KeithW19
Friendly Neighbour

Lets not call it a "solution". I'd say its a workaround for now. I'm still not sure what using the "ISP" APN changes from using the normally default "SP" APN. But these APNs really should work without us having to mess with them. Thankfully yes it does work though so my phone isnt completely useless Smiley Tongue

Community Power User
Community Power User

@KeithW19

While I don't know the difference between sp.telus.com and isp.telus.com, I do see the latter on my phone. 

NFtoBC
KeithW19
Friendly Neighbour

Yep I have both on mine as well. When working normally (i.e. before 8.1) it was always on SP. In 8.1 just selecting ISP doesnt actually make it work either. You have to recreate a new APN with the exact same settings as the ISP one and then choose it. Very very odd issue but it seems like it would be something Telus could quickly resolve?

thomasanderson
Resident

Wait what, you were able to switch only because you bought your phone outright I guess?

KeithW19
Friendly Neighbour
You can switch too. They have to unlock your phone for free but you will have to buy out the remainder of your contract
KeithW19
Friendly Neighbour

I have to say I'm absolutely flabbergasted that this issue is not being talked about or mentioned anywhere else. Surely there are a bunch of people with the Pixel 2 XL. Have they just not gotten the 8.1 update yet?

mhinc
Ambassador

Update schedule shows 

Samsung S8Jan 26Security update

Haven't seen it on my S8 yet and it's Jan 27th.  Typically it can take some time but not usually this much.  Has Any one actually received the Jan 26th Security Update on their S8?

Mustang_Driver
Advisor

i haven't seen any new updates on my s7edge i still have the november security update and it's now almost February and i still have android 7.0 so i an not hoping for too much more out of it but seems my iphone is forever getting updates

Highlighted
Sapper56
Connector
Nope and sammobile only lists Bell/sasktel/virgin so far as having the January update in canada
Mustang_Driver
Advisor

yeah it's a shame that i have only had the phone 1.5 yrs and it has been NOTHING but problems i figured the iPhone would be better but i just don't like ios as i have been an android user for far too many years i still have an operational LG thrill 3D phone i fire it up every now and then but i just don't have a use for it anymore and it isn't worth anything but these phones nowadays are being churned out too fast seems like i just got the iPhone 7plus then the 8,9,X came out back to back and now i hear iPhone 11 is due this year..... am i going to upgrade...NO i need to find a stable platform and stick with that and maybe not cost me an arm and a leg to purchase them

Community Power User
Community Power User

@Mustang_Driver

The iPhone 8 and X both came out September of this past year. The iPhone 8 was the iterative annual update, and the X was the Anniversary Edition, which included a number of technologies Apple plans to expand in the future. There is no iPhone 9. The next iteration of iPhone will be September 2018.  If you want a phone for the long term, Apple provides updates for the oldest phones of any manufacturer, and there are many folks still happily using iPhone 5 which was released in 2012. I have not seen such updates maintained for Android phones, which seem to come out at completely random intervals by comparison.

Like cars, folks would look with askance if new phone models did not come out at least annually, so I don't see release dates lengthening, however, if you choose a quality brand, you don't need the latest and greatest, as it will last through a few cycles.

NFtoBC
Mustang_Driver
Advisor

okay i jumped the gun i thought i read somewhere about the iphone 9 but it was the 8 plus and the x as for the 11 they are getting bigger with a 6" screen... i don't need bigger if i needed a bigger model i would splurge for an ipad. but as for the 7 plus i have it is just a sitting paperweight as i DON'T like it but when the samsung does break down it makes a great backup phone till i get another. just seems a shame the cost of these phones and i make it a paperweight but nobody in my family wants it so it just sits on my computer desk and only gets used on occasions when i forget to charge the samsung... thanks for clearing up the iphone model numbers

mhinc
Ambassador

@Sapper56 I got it early yesterday morning  January Security Update installed.

Mustang_Driver
Advisor

just got some sort of update for my S7 Edge tonight at 11:45pm probably nothing special but it was an update thanks again to all those that have helped me throughout and if i have helped anyone i hope that my knowledge gave some insight the update was only 25 MB so i am thinking it's just a security update phone is restarting new baseband number is G935W8VLS3BRA2

Techjunkie
Advocate

For anyone with a Note 8 or S8/S8+, the Android Oreo update can't be far off.

I am running the leaked CRB1 build on my Note 8, and it's rock solid. I can't imagine it not being a close to final release.

mhinc
Ambassador

Okay so this confuses me:

https://www.sammobile.com/news/galaxy-s8-android-8-0-oreo-update-now-rolling-out/

Oreo for S8 now rolling out.  Would this only be for Factory Unlocked S8s?  I mean don't all mobile providers get it first, in-house test it, blah blah blah, and then roll it out 2 months later?

Has something changed with the process this time around?

mhinc
Ambassador
Guessing this is only factory unlocked S8s and of course those in the USA that got to Beta test. Still pisses me off that Canada is not allowed as part of the Beta.
We are known as a far more technological Country over the US
Techjunkie
Advocate

Looks like Germany only. It on Samsung CANADA to release an update to the carriers for testing, so Rogers/Bell/Telus have to wait for them.

The build I am running at the moment (CRB3) is 99% bug free, so it should be close. The only issues cropping up is that Gear Watches aren't working, and the camera Live Focus is VERY slow and laggy. I assume that will get fixed in the final build.

Hah! I just noticed that the build number that just got released for the S8 is "CRAP". hahahahaha