Software Update Schedule Discussion

Mustang_Driver
Connector

I got the update about a week ago.... i didn't notice anything different but my phone still seems to drop calls after 45secs to 1m30secs seems to be either a phone issue or a telus issue but they did reboot my phone on thursday and told me to try it and see if that solved my issue, I told them if it didn't i was going to run it over and send it to them and claim it against my accidental breakage and get another phone maybe the iphone but i don't want to give up an android yet

mhinc
Advocate

Just got another updated after the June 19th update today June 20th.  It was small, 200 some MB. 

Anyone know what this was for specifically??

Community Power User
Community Power User

Was it the Carrier Update, which often arrives shortly after an OS update?

If so, the content is not usually described.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
MrDouf
Neighbour

Not Exactly true mhinc.You will receive the update even if your phone is unlock with the same or on an other carrier (it is my case and I have received all updates untill now). Even if you are rooted, your phone will received the update but the installation will fail (my case in another life).

mhinc
Advocate

@MrDouf I disagree.  You would only receive OTA updates on an unlocked phone if you were still with the original provider.

ie.  If you were with Telus, and unlocked your phone and still used a Telus SIM, but from what I have experienced, if you use

an unlocked phone that is with a different sim than the original provider, you won't get OTA updates.

At least in my experiences.

Anyone else want to chime in with their experiences?

Highlighted
MrDouf
Neighbour

My experience;

Purchase a Koodo Motorola phone. Unlocked it then switch to Videotron network after 6 mounths. Got the mashmallow update and all security patches while beeing on Videotron.

Purchase also another prepaid Telus Phone kit for my wife, unlock it and insert a Virgin sim card since day one. Got all the updates and security patches also.

Cheers!

Charrion
Connector

Couldn't find any other way to post to this discussion so I'll reply to the last post.

Today's date is September 14, 2017 and there has been a known vulnerability in any Android device that doesn't have the September security update.  The latest update to the update schedule was posted on the 8th and there is no mention of any Samsung Android device newer than the Galaxy S6 and apparently no device has received or is scheduled to receive the update Google has made available to vendors to patch the vulnerability to the Blueborne vulnerability.

This is part and parcel of Telus' poor handling of Android software updates.  Even after Google and manufacturers have released updates, there is nothing from Telus but a "look here and stop bothering us" posting. 

mhinc
Advocate

It would really be nice if you folks at Telus could actually update the Software Update Schedule BEFORE the dates they are released instead of a week after.  Seriously this is getting to be a trend.  What is the point otherwise?

Upcraft
Advisor

Charrion wrote:

Today's date is September 14, 2017 and there has been a known vulnerability in any Android device that doesn't have the September security update.  The latest update to the update schedule was posted on the 8th and there is no mention of any Samsung Android device newer than the Galaxy S6 and apparently no device has received or is scheduled to receive the update Google has made available to vendors to patch the vulnerability to the Blueborne vulnerability.

I expect the S8 September security updates to release this week.  Users on XDA reporting the Canadian S8/S8+ just started getting the update today .  Looks like this September build is available for Sasktel, Videotron, Freedom, and Bell/Virgin right now.

kbieth
Friendly Neighbour

Update from Samsung Canada on the September Security Patch:

S8 = September 29

S7 = TBD

S6 = Planned for October 23

mhinc
Advocate

Just got the September Security update on my S8 Saturday Sept 30th, 2017 at 3am

Figured I would let you folks know as of course it wasn't posted on the official schedule, I am sure it will be posted AFTER the fact 

as it has been lately.

mhinc
Advocate

So did the powers that be that update the Schedule all just go on Vacation?

Mustang_Driver
Connector

well my s7 Edge still has the august 1,2017 security update i am not hoping for alot just if things get worse i will switch to my iphone 7 plus.... i prefer the android os versus the ios but a phone is a phone and if i were to have a iphone first this would be the other way around but at last chech the s7 edge will get the android 8 (OREO) update but that will probably be the last major update, from android central.

Mustang_Driver
Connector

i never get OTA updates i just do a software check every weekend, i for 1 have to give kudos to apple as since i got the ios 11 update they seem to push updates regularly as my phone has ios 11.0.2 at the moment

Mustang_Driver
Connector
Correction just got the 11.0.3 update still awaiting android update
Upcraft
Advisor

Got Android 7.1.1 on Galaxy Tab E 8" LTE

Baseband: T377WVLU2BQI6

Kernel build Sat Sep 23 15:38:18 KST 2017

Build number: NMF26X.T377WVLU2BQI6

Samsung Experience 8.5

Knox 2.8

Security patch level August 1, 2017

The previous release was 6.0.1 so a big jump for this little tablet.  I thought 6 was the end of the line for these.

Shane
Advocate

BlackBerry has released OS 10.3.3.3057. I hope Telus will release it.

Shane.

mhinc
Advocate

@Shane Why don't you just use the autoloader files.  IF Telus releases it, god only knows when it will happen...  It's an OS that was from July just never released.  I am guessing providers aren't even testing it in house to OTA it out.  But I could be wrong

I haven't seen a Blackberry OS update on the Schedule other than Android in a LONG time

Mustang_Driver
Connector

well if this were the case Telus Update Schedule says:

Apple iPhone 7, 7 Plus Oct 03  iOS 11.0.2

i am currently running IOS 11.0.3 so there was definitely a bug fix since this was updated

Still waiting to hear about an update for my s7 Edge as well i am still running android 7.0 with a security patch for august 1,2017.... i think someone dropped the ball

Community Power User
Community Power User

Samsung is releasing the October patch country by country, starting with the Netherlands but only for the unlocked versions of the S7. No announcement for the carrier versions so far or any schedule for them to release the patch more widely including North America. Samsung is known for not releasing the updates globally or switftly.