Software Update Schedule Discussion

MoistPicklez
Organizer

Odd, I know there's been talk about the Galaxy S6 and S6E getting Nougat in Canada, but the Update Schedule doesn't have the S6 or S6E on the list. Does that mean Telus is giving up on updating the S6 and S6E models to 7.0? I really hope this isn't the case as my wife and I have both dealt with faulty LG Canadian variants (G3, two G4's, and a G5) so we both switched to the S6..

Community Power User
Community Power User

Samsung hasn't even announced the S6 or S6 Edge update in the US yet. It won't be out in Canada before then. Their US website said other models including the S6 could be getting the update sometime later this year by June. I'm not holding my breath since there are typically delays from Samsung so my S6 Edge is still without Nougat.

The footnote from Samsung's US 7.0 announcement for the S7:

“Android 7.0 Nougat will be expanded to additional countries on the following devices within the first half of this year: Galaxy S6, Galaxy S6 edge and S6 edge Plus, Galaxy Note5, Galaxy Tab A with S Pen, Galaxy Tab S2 (LTE unlock), Galaxy A3, and Galaxy A8.”

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Those Samsung phones are fairly recent releases, so it makes little sense for Telus to not release an update once received from Samsung. My expectation is that once received & reviewed it will be released.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Mustang_Driver
Advisor

i see that on the firmware update page that the samsung S7 Edge isn't even on the list for updates (security/firmware) i have been toying with the switch to the iphone 7s but i don't like the way iphones won't allow drag and drop of music files to the phone without syncing it to an apple account... but i am due for an upgrade on my plan as the 2nd phone is a galaxy Duo LTE and it sucks as it hasn't had an update since 4.1.1 even my first gen moto G is running 5.0.1 which is a vast improvement from 4.1.1

wat
Connector

It certainly is frustrating that Telus or the other Canadian carriers have not yet released Android Nougat for the S7 series.  I have an S7 Edge on Telus and it's still on the Nov 1 security patch level (with Android Marshmallow)... security patch is just over 4 months old now, great!  The major US carriers have already released Android Nougat (with a newer security patch level) to their S7/S7 Edge's, and a good deal of carriers in other countries have as well.  In fact there are reports today that some countries in Europe are seeing Android Nougat roll out to the S6 and S6 Edge.  Might be the last time I purchase a Samsung phone, or even a phone from a carrier.  The Pixel or Pixel 2 (when released) looks more appealing each day.  Come on Telus, let's get Android Nougat out for the S7 phones already!!!   

kbieth
Helpful Neighbour

I agree. Samsung has released the OS update months ago and TELUS continues to delay the launch of an already proven OS. How long does it take to test an OS on the TELUS network? This is getting to be ridiculous. I hope TELUS losses subscribers over this and then maybe they will wake up.

MoistPicklez
Organizer
Well I've been watching the Samsung firmware roll in, and I wasn't aware the Telus S7 + E didn't have Nougat yet. That will be a kick to the teeth for S7 owners if my S6 gets Nougat first. Sadly though Telus has always been rather slow with their updates, except maybe a few odd times.
MoistPicklez
Organizer
I for one will not be using Telus in the future with all these untimely updates, and their ridiculous "update schedule". Not to mention how many lemons my wife and I have had with the LG G3, G4, and G5 Telus variants. This is my last device with you Telus, good riddance!
Community Power User
Community Power User

@kbieth @wat- Samsung has yet to announce any release of Nougat in any form of in Canada. Nougat was was only announced in the USA very recently, not months ago. It didn't finish beta testing until the end of January. If anything, Canadian users should be actively voicing their concerns to Samsung to release the update at the same time the Americans get it. I don't see anyone posting comments along those lines on Samsung's twitter or facebook pages so far. Samsung always releases updates to Canadian carriers quite some time after the USA. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
wat
Connector
@Nighthawk Are you absolutely positive Samsung has not released Nougat to Canadian carriers yet? Just because they haven't announced it does not mean they have not released it to them. A Bell Twitter post said that Nougat for the S7 is scheduled for release by the end of March. Now why would they say that if Samsung has not already released it to them? The Rogers update schedule has also listed Nougat as "Coming Soon​!" to these two phones since the beginning of February. Again why would they post that if Samsung hasn't even released it to them? I will admit that it's possible Canadian carriers don't have it yet, but there are several signs that suggest they do.
Community Power User
Community Power User

When Samsung announced the American release, the carriers had it out fairly shortly after. Hopefully they'll announce it for Canada soon though I still think Canadian users really need to raise hell against Samsung as there's no reason why they should be delaying things this long. They release by country typically instead of a global release.

If they release it end of March, that'd be great but Samsung has remained very silent about Canada. "Coming Soon!" could mean weeks or months. Roger's isn't setting a date. There's even comments on their forums that for the Marshmallow release last year, "Coming Soon!" was the status for 6 months so it's easily possible that is applicable to Nougat this year. Roger's users have the same complaints on how long Samsung is taking as we all do here. 

Biggest problem is that the update Samsung is going to release is only 7.0 and not the latest 7.1.1. It'll be anyone's guess how long it'll take the latest update to be released by Samsung.

wat
Connector

Unfortunately if the delay is with Samsung (and again I agree it could be just them and not the carriers, but it's hard to know either way), I'm not sure how much how much pressure users can put on them, especially since it hasn't worked much in the past.  Perhaps it's because the Canadian market is just too small compared to other countries.  Or maybe there is something in the contracts between Samsung and the Canadian carriers that is delaying the release.

Yeah I'm doubtful we will ever see 7.1.1 on the S7/S7 Edge or previous Samsung devices for that matter, and if by chance we do it will be long past the release of Androids next OS version. 

BentleyMcMulligan
Connector
Rogers just updated their update schedule saying the S7 and edge are receiving the update March 20th so I don't see why Telus shouldn't be too far behind, or ahead if they actually properly updated their schedule instead of updating it with updates that have already been released
wat
Connector
Totally agree. Hopefully Telus will release Nougat alongside Rogers release. Interesting how Rogers has posted this despite Samsung Canada not announcing the release of Nougat on their website. Seems like it was released to the carriers and they've just been taking their time testing it.
Ray1
Resident

Again the know-it-alls have shown how much they actually know about the releases

wat
Connector
They certainly have.
Maelstrom
Neighbour

Bell, SaskTel, and Freedom released the Nougat update for S7 and S7 Edge.

http://mobilesyrup.com/2017/03/14/samsung-s7-edge-nougat-updates-roll-out-bell-sasktel-freedom/

Mustang_Driver
Advisor
I saw that as well but the release is 7.0 i heard somethimg about a 7.1.1 update so i guess we are still gonna be waiting.... also i was going to switch to the iphone 7 s or plus but i just cant bring myself to buy an apple product especially when i have a balance on my google account
MoistPicklez
Organizer

@Mustang_Driver wrote:
I saw that as well but the release is 7.0 i heard somethimg about a 7.1.1 update so i guess we are still gonna be waiting.... also i was going to switch to the iphone 7 s or plus but i just cant bring myself to buy an apple product especially when i have a balance on my google account

Hey Mustang_Driver! Giid to see ya here, talked to ya on XDA, anyways, personally I'm waiting on the S8, I couldn't jump to an  iPhone, but they are looking better and better in terms of updates, sad to see the Android Ecosystem on the down because of OEM's, Carriers, and other blockade bull**bleep**.

Mustang_Driver
Advisor
After the note 7 fiasco i am pretty cautios now i have the s7 edge and when i plug in the charger it doesnt take long before it starts getting hot.... but i have turned off quick charge but it takes forever charging.. i do like the phone but it does have issues i could do without.. but thanks for the quote